Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iTunes problem.....

iTunes problem.....
Ocastro
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 11:09 PM

My cousin just bought a powermac G4 933 and the computer comes with 55.0 Gig of music, but the problem is that i can't play the music, i have an error message saying "The Song......could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?" I try everything and everywhere there is 3 users and i been looking all over the place. The space is showing all the music but i can't find it!!!!

Any help???

Thanks,
Oscar
E-Mail me =-)
Oscar Castro
[email protected]

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2003, 12:50 AM

Was this a used computer? That's the only way I can think of that it might come with 55gb of music.

What most likely happened is that the previous owner deleted all the music files, but didn't erase the iTunes Library. That means that iTunes still thinks the songs are there, but they aren't. Unless you're really, really lucky with Norton Unerase, or you have a lot of money to drop on an HD recovery outfit, you're never going to get those songs back.

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by Ocastro:
My cousin just bought a powermac G4 933 and the computer comes with 55.0 Gig of music, but the problem is that i can't play the music, i have an error message saying "The Song......could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?" I try everything and everywhere there is 3 users and i been looking all over the place. The space is showing all the music but i can't find it!!!!

Any help???

Thanks,
Oscar
E-Mail me =-)
Not sure if you've been helped, but it sounds like the songs were moved from their original place. Just delete the current playlist and start another one.

EDIT: or what wataru said.
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 30, 2003, 03:52 AM

You could do a hard drive search for "mp3" and see if they show up anywhere. You said the hard drive is showing that the space is missing? It should be pretty obvious if 55 GB is being taken up.

You could try a few commands from the terminal as well:

% locate mp3

and if that doesn't give any results, try:

% sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb

then when that finishes, try again:

% locate mp3

What this does is first searches the database of known files. If nothing comes up, maybe you need to update the database so we run the second command. Once it's updated, run the locate command again to see if it finds anything. This will search everything on the hard drive, including all the users folders.

OT: Doesn't this seem like a little bit of a privacy problem to anyone else? The locate database updates automatically and any user can use it to list the entire contents of the hard drive, if they wish. The could get a list of all files in another user's home directory. Hmm, something to think about. Forgive the off topic thought.

Some Guy []
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2003, 06:12 AM

on a side note, if it is a used computer you should probably reinstall the operating system or at least create a new user to make sure you don't have any rogue programs running.

-justin

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 30, 2003, 04:06 PM

Wrong forum.

Also, do not request special email replies. The whole point of a forum is to have the questions and answers available to all readers.

tooki

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 30, 2003, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Wrong forum.
One would think I would've caught that... Ah well.

IATL™

Forum Links
Forum Rules