Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MBNA (Apple Loan) Online Bill Pay No Longer Support Safari

MBNA (Apple Loan) Online Bill Pay No Longer Support Safari
sideus
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 03:40 PM

Just tried to pay my Apple Loan bill for this month. When I click Pay Online I get this error:

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2004, 03:47 PM

So you're saying that Apple does some of its loans through MBNA, and MBNA doesn't support Safari?

Hmm...

By the way, perhaps you can for now use IE 5.2, or maybe Camino or Mozilla? And don't forget to submit the report back to Apple.

sideus  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 03:50 PM

Not sure if Apple still contracts out to MBNA. MBNA was the bank when my Apple Loan was established.

No surprise, OmniWeb 4.5 doesn't work either. I don't have Netscape or Internet Exploder installed so I can't test those.

Safari worked fine last month on MBNA's website. Back to writing out checks I guess.

sideus  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
...By the way, perhaps you can for now use IE 5.2, or maybe Camino or Mozilla? And don't forget to submit the report back to Apple.
That's right! I forgot all about the Bug button.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2004, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by sideus:
Back to writing out checks I guess.

...Or download Camino.

...Or download TinkerTool, enable Safari's Debug menu, and have it advertise itself as Netscape.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

sideus  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by Oneota:
...Or download Camino.

...Or download TinkerTool, enable Safari's Debug menu, and have it advertise itself as Netscape.
...Or continue to use Safari in its current form, let it be known that Safari cannot be used to pay Apple Loans, and wait for MBNA to correct their site.

jrome
Jan 30, 2004, 04:16 PM

Those bastards. A few notes:

1) Setting the user agent to Netscape 6.2.2 works fine.

2) There's a new user agreement you need to agree to.

3) No pages are accessible on the payment page if you don't change the user agent.

4) Help pages open up in a new window, at which point you need to switch the user agent again.

5) There is no way to provide any feedback to the new payment site. Apparently, they've designed a perfect system and it doesn't need any improvements. [Rant, grumble, whine]

I'll give MBNA a week to clean up their act. Otherwise, I'd rather get a new credit card than deal with this crap. Let Apple know, as they must have some clout since these are for Apple loans.
Sign the petition to add the Jacknote to Macworld Boston!

sideus  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by jrome:
Those bastards. A few notes:

1) Setting the user agent to Netscape 6.2.2 works fine.

2) There's a new user agreement you need to agree to.

3) No pages are accessible on the payment page if you don't change the user agent.

4) Help pages open up in a new window, at which point you need to switch the user agent again.

5) There is no way to provide any feedback to the new payment site. Apparently, they've designed a perfect system and it doesn't need any improvements. [Rant, grumble, whine]

I'll give MBNA a week to clean up their act. Otherwise, I'd rather get a new credit card than deal with this crap. Let Apple know, as they must have some clout since these are for Apple loans.
I didn't see a new user agreement. Does it pop up in a new window or show up after you log in?

I submitted feedback to Apple. Also sent emails to the major Mac sites.

MBNA=

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2004, 04:31 PM

A LOT of banks and professional secure sites won't interface with anything Mac OS.

But, when you point this out at other sites about Apple's viability (cough cough -- the "Is Apple an MP3 Company" to paraphrase) as a company and means to work in today's world, the Apple fanatics all come out of the woodwork and defend Apple and ignore the fact that there ARE issues with being Mac-centric in a PC-centric world, UNfortunately.

Bank of America is in the process of revamping their servers and I was officially notified that, by the end of March, Bank of America "will no longer support the Mac platform."

Go figure, right?

Ganesha
Senior User
Jan 31, 2004, 12:20 AM

1. Email Steve Jobs.
2. Web developers head winds up at Apple, next day.
3. Problem solved.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2004, 12:22 AM

Hopefully v1.2 fixes this issue...

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 04:48 AM

I use Safari will all my credit card websites online to pay my bills, and all works fine without any problems. My bank is Wells Fargo, and Safari works perfectly on their website as well.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

sideus  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by nobitacu:
I use Safari will all my credit card websites online to pay my bills, and all works fine without any problems. My bank is Wells Fargo, and Safari works perfectly on their website as well.

Ming
Awesome!

But MBNA is the problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules