Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Looking for some feedback on some designs...

Looking for some feedback on some designs...
zorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2004, 12:51 PM

I'm looking for some critiques in the spirit of Zeldman, Meyer, and Norman. Here are some of my current designs in development...

These are very sketchy at the moment:
http://mikezornek.com/dev/rdc/

This is closer to release:
http://mikezornek.com/dev/chapters/newmexico/

Thanks!
~ Mike
--
Personal Site: MikeZornek.com
Other Interests: WebDevWiki.com

Eyenovation
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2004, 04:54 AM

Looking good. My only suggestion would be to make your top margin zero. This will take out the gap in your header graphics (assuming you want to).

zorn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2004, 12:13 PM

I've included padding for the top on purpose per design, but thanks for checking out my stuff!
~ Mike
--

velodev
Senior User
Feb 25, 2004, 12:18 PM

Example 1
- Well, if you are looking for a response along the lines of zeldman (I need to see your code)
- Make sure you use XHTML Transitional, etc. etc.
- Along the lines of Nielsen, I wouldn't change the color of the links. I also would create a contrast between the color theme of the site and navigational links. The Testimonials blended in with the links.
- Along the lines of Meyer, again... I need to see the code.

Example 2
IMHO, a lot sharper than 1. 1 was a really basic design.
- Good job with the XHTML header info
- CSS is linked and inline. Check...
- The site bounced when going page to page. Check to make sure you are using the same dimensions for page layout (structural, unless you did pure css layout which I am 99% sure you didn't)
- Works in Safari, Firefox, IE for Mac (I could test on my VirtualPC -IE6 is you need)
- I think I am a little thrown off (and Nielsen might not like this either) but in the Member directory... if I view a member the site is radically different. New nav, full liquid layout. This could confuse members.

These are just a couple high-level ideas to ponder. Good luck to you.

zorn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 29, 2004, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the good feedback. The reason you can't see the code for #1 is because those are Photoshop mockups I'm working on. #2 is has had much more "time in the oven" and thus is coded and much more close to the finish line.

Thanks again, some very useful notes in there.
~ Mike
--

velodev
Senior User
Mar 1, 2004, 02:42 AM

Originally posted by zorn:
Thanks for the good feedback. The reason you can't see the code for #1 is because those are Photoshop mockups.
Not to be rude, but I've been doing enterprise level web design/dev for 9 years. I know those were mock-ups. I just can't give you coding advice when you haven't even coded it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules