Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > advice on beginner book...

advice on beginner book...
bens1901
Apr 11, 2004, 05:48 PM

Hi all.

I've realized something: my parents don't know how to use a computer. I thought they did, but I've just been helping them too much. They've asking me very basic questions, such as: how do I quit a program; what's a window; where's the File menu; where's my desktop; and so on.

Since I'm quite comfortable with the Mac OS, I haven't ever looked into books for beginners. However, I'd like to get one for my parents, and I happen to be in France where they don't have many books in english (my parents are in the US).

I'm looking for a beginner's book on how to use Mac OS 10.3
I'd like the book to teach them what a menu is, an application, a document, how to move around the folders, and so on.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Ben

snct
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2004, 07:53 PM

I'd suggest MacOS X, The Missing Manual by David Pogue. David has a humorous and light style of writing that makes even heavy technical subjects understandable. The most current edition does cover Panther as well.

Besides reading, the only other way they're going to learn is by using the system on a consistant basis. Find them a game or some other application that they'll want to use at least a few times a week (Possibly a chat, or E-mail app would work also). HTH .
--Steve

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2004, 11:05 PM

Definately get the Missing Manual. For a beginner it is the perfect book. I own it myself and have been using OSX from the beginning. It is amazing how many good pointers that I got out of it.

finboy
Apr 16, 2004, 12:32 PM

I can ALSO suggest the Missing Manual. Dave Pogue is a great writer and really knows his stuff. (Plus, he's a really nice guy.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules