Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Opening PDFs from web site results in error

Opening PDFs from web site results in error
digital_dreamer
Jul 19, 2004, 06:54 PM

Just upgraded one of our systems to Acrobat 5, and have been using it successfully for print jobs. However, PDFs that we have sent to a client are then posted to his web site for review. These fail to open and display the error, "object label badly formatted." The client admits that he can open said file on his system, but not via web. We are not even able to open the PDF with via application (Reader 5/6) or PDF viewer plug in.

I'm using Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3) compatibility.
I know some networks do not support binary files, and selecting ASCII format would prevent the system from stripping that data out. I haven't tried that option, yet.

I'm sure it's something simple that I have overlooked. I'm supposed to be the expert here.
Any help would be appreciated!

regards,
MAJ

Macola
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 09:01 PM

Two possible ideas:

1. Maybe the files are being corrupted during FTP to the web server.
2. Check that the web server is configured to recognize .PDF as a valid MIME type.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

digital_dreamer  (op)
Jul 19, 2004, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by Macola:
Two possible ideas:

1. Maybe the files are being corrupted during FTP to the web server.
2. Check that the web server is configured to recognize .PDF as a valid MIME type.
Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention this client had made available on his site PDFs from us before, when we were using Acrobat Distiller 3.0, and he had no problems. His recent comment was, "Have you guys changed something with your PDFs? Because the last two times, I've not been able to open the PDF on the site."
This coincides with the upgrade to Distiller 5.0, so something has indeed changed with the setup. It seems to be a problem on our end.

It sounds like a encoding/compression issue. I do know the pdf is being sent to the client uncompressed, but stripping out the resource fork shouldn't be an issue with the extension intact.

regards,
MAJ

digital_dreamer  (op)
Jul 21, 2004, 08:47 AM

Yeah, it's puzzling!

Here's an update:
I can download the pdf from the client's website using OS X, Jaguar and Panther versions. I can also download it in Windows XP.

I just can't download it on an OS 9 machine.

This is what happens in OS 9:
The full 276k file makes progress from start to end via progress indicator. But, once it finishes, it lands on the desktop as a 4k generic alias icon. The alias doesn't link to anywhere! Where did the 276k file go?

Tried another OS 9 machine here at work. Still says, "object label badly formatted."

It sounds like a encoding/decoding issue. Come on, guys, I know someone has an answer!

regards,
MAJ

Macola
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2004, 09:32 AM

So I assume the client is using OS 9? Maybe you can post links here to a "good" and "bad" PDF, so we can take a look at the files.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2004, 02:26 PM

I will start stacking the stupid questions.

In Job Options:
1. did you try Acrobat 3 (PDF1.2) compatability?
2. Is Optimize for Fast View enabled? If it is disable it.
3. Don't embed thumbnails.
4. Embed all fonts
5. Subset at 100%
6. Color Management off

I'll stop for now and check back in a day...

Forum Links
Forum Rules