Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Pricing on iMac I'm selling?

Pricing on iMac I'm selling?
Owlicks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2004, 03:08 AM

Can anyone give me an idea for about what I should expect to fetch for my ol Rev. A iMac I'm selling? It's been upgraded about as much as possible. The upgrades include:
  • Harmoni G3 500 Mhz plus Firewire upgrade
  • 512 MB RAM
  • OS 10.3.4
  • 120 Gig Hard Drive
  • Gamewizard upgraded game card in mezzanine slot

It comes with the original keyboard and mouse. I may throw in other extra iMac stuff i have for it too including the original 233 Mhz processor and extra RAM i have. Any ideas on pricing?

slider
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 06:35 AM

I sold my sisters iMac 333, which had been upgraded to a 500 Mhz G3 (no firewire), 512MB, a CDRW, and a 60GB HD @ 7200rpm. I sold it to them for $400. It runs 10.3.4 very well. You have no CDRW, but you do have a larger HD (rpm?) and a firewire port so one could use an iPod with it. I would shoot for $400 - $450. I think it's a fair price. What is the GameWizard card? Video? Does it run under OS X? My thing with these upgraded iMacs is, well, you can get a kick'n eMac for $800. I would not take less then $400, but at the same time, the longer you wait, the less you'll get. Good luck.

Chinasaur
Senior User
Aug 6, 2004, 09:22 AM

Not to be harsh/offensive, but I think you'll be lucky to get $300. It is a 6 year old box after all. Price 500Mhz B&W G3's for comparison which have more expandibility. I'm asking $400 for my 800Mhz B&W and I have no real chance of getting it.

Best of luck.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

bgordon
Aug 10, 2004, 11:16 PM

Owlicks, I tried to do the exact same thing on eBay two years ago - Rev. A with Voodoo II, Harmoni 500, etc...and I was disappointed with the offerings, and wound up not selling (I had set a reserve price). I eventually wound up parting it out for more $$$.

If you don't mind risking the insertion fee, put the whole thing on eBay and set a reserve price that you'd wouldn't accept less for - say, $250 for the whole rig. (I'm basing that loosely on $150 for the Harmoni, $75 for the iMac (generous, I think) and $25 for the Voodoo II.

If you don't get that, try parting it out for more...although I know the Rev. A's don't go for much, and I have no idea of the market value of the GameWizard card (used to be highly sought-after, now probably not so much.)

Hope this helps a bit -

- bgordon

discotronic
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 11:44 PM

I agree with bgordon.

In order to get top dollar you might have to part the system out. The hard drive would bring you a few bucks also. Then again, put a large "Buy It Now" and someone might just take it. Make sure that you advertise all the specs in the title just to set it off from the rest. A good title and description is what will make it sell. Make it sound like a brand new machine. Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules