Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Memory recovery

Memory recovery
BWSchultz
Nov 15, 2004, 10:49 AM

Hi,

I have a question about the RAM in my PowerMac G5, 1.8Ghz. I started with the standard 512 from Apple and later added 1 GB from crucial.com for a total of 1.5 GB. I'm running the most current OS, 10.3.6, I believe, but I've been noticing this problem for quite some time.

I often do video compression and this obviously takes a lot of CPU power; thank goodness for the mac. My available RAM starts out high, I compress the video, OS X allocates more RAM to use for this process, and eventually my RAM goes down to about 15 MB in the activity monitor. Now, when I quit compressing the video, the memory does not recover and I'm stuck at 15 MB RAM until I reboot, no matter what other progams I stop using. I can still start apps but everything runs slow because OS X has to move memory all over the place. Is this normal? Can I tell OS X not to gobble up all the RAM for one process, leaving me with little to do anything else, such as email or a browser?

Also, is activity monitor an accurate representation of memory? I assume it is but the memory in use never gets close to adding up to 1.5 GB. It's probably something I just don't understand about RAM. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
bws

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2004, 01:34 PM

Then general rule of unix memory management is "unused ram is wasted ram". I wouldn't worry about it unless you're noticing a lot of lag (although, if you leave your machine running a mem intensive task, then stop it and do a bunch of other stuff, it will have to copy all that stuff back from the disk. I notice this after my brother has tried to calculate the number of atoms in the Tokyo or whatever the heck it is that he does with Mathematica.

BWSchultz  (op)
Nov 15, 2004, 03:00 PM

I'm fine with the idea of "unused memory being wasted memory" but I'm getting too many beachballs after I perform a memory intensive task. Mozilla/Safari will be much slower than normal, even if they are the only program running, and they occasionally crash, too. That's what bothers me. After I complete video compression, I quit all programs, and I still have only 15 MB of RAM (~1%) which means my computer runs kind of slow, if you can imagine.

Do others have this experience with OS X where you are running with virtually no RAM available all the time? I feel that adding more RAM won't do anything either since that will just be gobbled up by these memory-intensive programs, too.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2004, 03:29 PM

What program are you using? It sounds like it has a serious memory leak. When you look in Activity Monitor, does the unavailable RAM show has inactive, active or wired? Please give us additional details.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

d.fine
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2004, 04:32 PM

Try running something like MacJanitor , works for me to free all available memory ... try it out.

I work with 2GB DDR and do not have a similar problem. After heavy photoshop use all memory (or most of it) is released.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

BWSchultz  (op)
Nov 17, 2004, 12:04 PM

I will give macjanitor a try tonight and check back then with more info.

Thanks, guys.

Forum Links
Forum Rules