Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > QuarkXPress 6.X & Suitcase X1 font activation

QuarkXPress 6.X & Suitcase X1 font activation
digital_dreamer
Dec 26, 2004, 02:10 AM

I've been slowly trying to migrate one of our OS X machines at the daily to QuarkXPress 6, but have been having trouble with auto font activation.

I have basically the same font library imported into Suitcase X1, but QuarkXPress will not auto activate all the fonts in the documents. I have to do a search in Suitcase, then turn them on manually, which is very time consuming � so much so as to be impractical for large large jobs with lots of ads, for example.

The Suitcase plugin/extension for QuarkXPress 6 is installed and loading (active), and actually works for some fonts. So, I'm baffled here.

I thought originally that the problem was because the font names were changed, having run them through Font Doctor and letting it organize them. But, when that didn't work, I pulled the exact font library from a working OS 9 system and installed that in Suitcase X1. No worky.

This is the one area that's keeping me from putting the system in our workflow. If anyone has some advice/answers, please chime in.

As a sidenote:
One advantage InDesign seems to have is its ability to work with the Suitcase plugin via FontSync, which provides a way to identify fonts beyond simply the font name. This is something QuarkXPress doesn't use, IMHO.

Edit: I'll take that last comment back: Upon further research, I find that the Suitcase plugin/extension uses Apple's FontSync technology for font activation regardless of the parent application its working with.

regards,
MAJ
( Last edited by digital_dreamer; Dec 26, 2004 at 02:18 AM. )

nica
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2004, 02:35 PM

Try the following it might help but not guaranteed to solve the problem.

Read this http://software-robotics.com/docs/PD...anagement.html
Take all the fonts out of suitcase and make sure that there are no duplicates, and run font doctor on them.
Use a font cache cleaner utility http://homepage.mac.com/mdouma46/fontfinagler/
Add fonts to Suitcase
Remove duplicates from Suitcase
Make sure that Suitcase font activation is turned on in Quark.

In general auto-activation works but if you have a few thousand typefaces (most design shops) it gets complicated and neither Suitcase nor Quark handle the problem 100%.

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2005, 10:01 PM

If you haven't, create a Quark 6 application set in Suitcase, select and load fonts into it.

Originally posted by digital_dreamer:
I've been slowly trying to migrate one of our OS X machines at the daily to QuarkXPress 6, but have been having trouble with auto font activation.

I have basically the same font library imported into Suitcase X1, but QuarkXPress will not auto activate all the fonts in the documents. I have to do a search in Suitcase, then turn them on manually, which is very time consuming � so much so as to be impractical for large large jobs with lots of ads, for example.

The Suitcase plugin/extension for QuarkXPress 6 is installed and loading (active), and actually works for some fonts. So, I'm baffled here.

I thought originally that the problem was because the font names were changed, having run them through Font Doctor and letting it organize them. But, when that didn't work, I pulled the exact font library from a working OS 9 system and installed that in Suitcase X1. No worky.

This is the one area that's keeping me from putting the system in our workflow. If anyone has some advice/answers, please chime in.

As a sidenote:
One advantage InDesign seems to have is its ability to work with the Suitcase plugin via FontSync, which provides a way to identify fonts beyond simply the font name. This is something QuarkXPress doesn't use, IMHO.

Edit: I'll take that last comment back: Upon further research, I find that the Suitcase plugin/extension uses Apple's FontSync technology for font activation regardless of the parent application its working with.

regards,
MAJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules