Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What will April iBooks be like?

What will April iBooks be like? (Page 2)
connollyck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2005, 03:03 AM

why do you guys think they're coming out with new ibooks in april. I was just going to buy one, should I wait?
ibook, 4th gen, 1.2 12"
ipod, 4th gen, 20gig

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 03:09 AM

Originally posted by connollyck:
why do you guys think they're coming out with new ibooks in april. I was just going to buy one, should I wait?
Well, obviously we have some expectations of this and some reasons to think so... hence this entire thread. So, yeah, I'd recommend you wait! Personally, I'm betting on April.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2005, 03:34 AM

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

By May there should be an update or some kind. Nothing like what the dreamers here have said it will be like. Processor speed bump, no price drop, and if we're lucky... very VERY lucky a new trackpad.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2005, 03:42 AM

Gotta agree with CO here. All I see apple giving the iBook is a bump in processor speed, but on a longshot...I could see them giving an extra 10gigs to make it 40gig stock and/or a 167FSB, which would make the lil bugger a nice lil system. I reiterate that the extra HD space and FSB are long shots.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

connollyck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2005, 03:47 AM

if its just a little speed bump i dont care, im working on a freaking P2 hunk of crap right now. I need a computer. I'm not buying the ibook for its blistering speed
ibook, 4th gen, 1.2 12"
ipod, 4th gen, 20gig

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 01:56 PM

if its just a little speed bump i dont care, im working on a freaking P2 hunk of crap right now. I need a computer. I'm not buying the ibook for its blistering speed
Then by all means, go get one now-- But be sure not to hit your head against a brick wall if by chance the new iBooks have something or the other you would have liked. You've been warned!

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2005, 12:57 AM

If the average is to be believed we should have new iBooks sometime around March 26, 2005.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2005, 03:34 AM

The iBook design is four years old now. I'm hoping for a new design with new case materials and just one size; a 14" wide screen that replaces the current 12 and 14 inch models in an enclosure just slightly wider than the current 12". I envision some kind of rubberized exterior similar to what you see on some flashlights. Just one size might allow for more BTO options; i.e. minimum at $999 to all tricked out at $1599.

At the same time, the small PowerBook would have to go wide screen as well.

Just daydreaming, as I'm kinda in the market for a new portable, if the right thing comes along.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2005, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by iDaver:
The iBook design is four years old now. I'm hoping for a new design
That is my wish as well.

... a 14" wide screen that replaces the current 12 and 14 inch models
Yet again... Why? Some people prefer a smaller, lighter iBook. And having only a 14" screen at the current resolution to choose from, without an option of a smaller screen or a higher resolution, would be of no benefit, an indeed quite impractical, to many users.

At this point I would like to see a different design, at least as good or better than the current design. But, again, I'm just hoping, not counting on it. And a few new features and a speed bump will satisfy me, too.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2005, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by Gabriel Morales:
Yet again... Why? Some people prefer a smaller, lighter iBook. And having only a 14" screen at the current resolution to choose from, without an option of a smaller screen or a higher resolution, would be of no benefit, an indeed quite impractical, to many users.
To that I say "oh yes, there would be a benefit." I haven't done the exact geometry, but believe a 14" wide screen display could be included by adding only about one inch to the width of the current 12" 4:3 model (and reducing the width of the bezel). The physical size difference would be almost imperceptible while allowing for more pixels, say about 1280x800. 1024x768 is really too few pixels IMHO. Today's applications, with all their palettes, work better on a wide screen.

Perhaps for those who truly must have tiny portables, Apple could introduce a sub-notebook but I doubt it would sell well.

ptolemy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2005, 02:05 PM

To that I say "oh yes, there would be a benefit." I haven't done the exact geometry, but believe a 14" wide screen display could be included by adding only about one inch to the width of the current 12" 4:3 model (and reducing the width of the bezel). The physical size difference would be almost imperceptible while allowing for more pixels, say about 1280x800. 1024x768 is really too few pixels IMHO. Today's applications, with all their palettes, work better on a wide screen.

Perhaps for those who truly must have tiny portables, Apple could introduce a sub-notebook but I doubt it would sell well.
Do you think that the physical size difference between the current iBook 12.1" and the current 14" iBook to be almost imperceptible?
A 14" widescreen would actually be 1 inch wider than the current 14" iBook...

Let me do the exact geometry for you

Measurements for a 12.1 inch 4:3 screen is 9.7" x 7.3"
Measurements for a 14 inch 4:3 screen is 11.2" x 8.4"
Measurements for a 14" widescreen (16:9) is 12.2" x 6.9"

A 14" widescreen is 2.5 inches wider than a 12.1" 4:3
That is unacceptable for a computer designed to be small. Besides, a widescreen much less space-efficient than a 4:3 screen.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2005, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by ptolemy:
Do you think that the physical size difference between the current iBook 12.1" and the current 14" iBook to be almost imperceptible?
A 14" widescreen would actually be 1 inch wider than the current 14" iBook...

Let me do the exact geometry for you

Measurements for a 12.1 inch 4:3 screen is 9.7" x 7.3"
Measurements for a 14 inch 4:3 screen is 11.2" x 8.4"
Measurements for a 14" widescreen (16:9) is 12.2" x 6.9"

A 14" widescreen is 2.5 inches wider than a 12.1" 4:3
That is unacceptable for a computer designed to be small. Besides, a widescreen much less space-efficient than a 4:3 screen.
Apple's current wide screen displays are 16:10, except the 15" PowerBook which is about 15:10; NOT 16:9 like televisions.

Given the current iBook bezel width, a 14 inch 15:10 iBook would measure roughly 13x10". Giving it a thin bezel more like a PowerBook, it would measure about 12x9; one inch wider than the current 12" model.

If Apple thinks wide screens are less space-efficient, why do you suppose all but one of theirs are wide? Perhaps because people prefer them?

ptolemy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2005, 06:25 AM

If Apple thinks wide screens are less space-efficient, why do you suppose all but one of theirs are wide? Perhaps because people prefer them?
People don't realize what's good for them.
Besides, for customers who buy a 12" iBook or PowerBook, size is more important than for customers that buy 15" or 17" PowerBooks. So it makes sense that the 12" model have a screen that is more space efficient than the larger models.

I would'nt mind if Apple changed the iBook 14" into a widescreen version. As long as they leave the 12" alone.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2005, 09:04 PM

Notice I said that without a resolution increase or a size decrease maintaining the existing resolution. Of course, if you increase the resolution on the 14" that would be great. But it still wouldn't justify cutting out the 12". I think there needs to be an iBook as small or smaller than the current 12" and a bigger one, with better resolution.

As far as a sub-notebook-- I've been wanting Apple to come to market with one forever. Though some past models have come close. I'd seriously consider a sub-notebook Mac for the right price, which would have to be significantly less (obviously a difference of $50 isn't worth it) than a larger more full featured notebook.

I'd love a really portable portable, however I wouldn't pay more for, what in the end, is less, as my needs for ultra-portability aren't that demanding to justify paying a premium for it. This is why I liked the eMate concept so much.-- A small, efficient, long battery life portable that can do all the basics. Unfortunately, the eMate was overpriced as well, in its time.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2005, 10:29 PM

Notice I said that without a resolution increase or a size decrease maintaining the existing resolution. Of course, if you increase the resolution on the 14" that would be great. But it still wouldn't justify cutting out the 12". I think there needs to be an iBook as small or smaller than the current 12" and a bigger one, with better resolution.
I'm with you, I really like the size of the 12" iBook and 12" PowerBook. I have a G3 iBook and use it a lot!

However, I'm pretty tired of 1024x768. I wouldn't mind it being just one inch wider and it would still seem small, to me. According to my calculations, if Apple slimmed the bezel like the larger PowerBooks, a 14" screen at 1280x800 would fit in an iBook that's just an inch wider than the current 12" model.

Your suggestion of increasing the resolution on the current 14" iBook is good but it would still leave us with the 14" boxy form factor, which has never appealed to me.

I know I'm just beating a dead horse here, but that's what hope and speculation is all about. If Apple could afford to make a model like I describe and keep the standard 4:3 12" iBook around, great! Perhaps the better solution is to widen the 12" PowerBook to match the others and leave the iBooks alone.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2005, 12:06 AM

12"
1.33GHz G4
256mb RAM
40gb HD
AE+BT standard
brighter screen !
iamwhor3hay

Homer S.
Mar 14, 2005, 12:52 AM

u forgot the 64mb vram upgrade mr. forgetable or the 9200 mobility upgrade for tiger

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2005, 01:01 AM

I don't think you'll see 64MB of VRAM just yet. 1.33 and a HD bump seems like the case to me.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2005, 03:46 AM

Originally posted by iREZ:
I don't think you'll see 64MB of VRAM just yet. 1.33 and a HD bump seems like the case to me.
I agree with iRez. First, the 32 MB VRAM is more than enough for 1024x768 resolution and the average iBook user. Second, even though we'd probably all like to see the 9200 leave and be replaced by some Tiger enhancing GPU - it just can't really happen. What should Apple put in there? The 5200Go is still in the 12" PowerBook, so it's not an iBook candidate. I'd like to see the 5200Go come to the iBook, but since Apple has chosen to leave it in the 12" PB, I guess we'll have to wait...
•

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2005, 08:55 AM

Specs I don't care so much about; as far as the ibooks specs go, it's good value for the money. What bothers me about the current batch or ibooks is the apparent decrease in build and materials quality. This leads me to suspect that Apple sold the original ibooks at a loss in order to gain market share and has slowly been adjusting build and materials quality to match the low price tag.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2005, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
...This leads me to suspect that Apple sold the original ibooks at a loss in order to gain market share and has slowly been adjusting build and materials quality to match the low price tag.
Don't forget the prices are a lot lower. In 2001, the CD-ROM iBook was $1299. Now you get a much faster Combo Drive iBook for $999. I haven't used one of the newer ones so can't speak to build quality.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2005, 11:22 AM

Don't forget the prices are a lot lower. In 2001, the CD-ROM iBook was $1299. Now you get a much faster Combo Drive iBook for $999. I haven't used one of the newer ones so can't speak to build quality.
The prices are nice, but I'd rather pay $300 more for something of similar quality to my original iceBook.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2005, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
The prices are nice, but I'd rather pay $300 more for something of similar quality to my original iceBook.
Hmm, that doesn't sound good. I'll have to check one out at a store. I thought the keyboards and screens were improved since 2001. What's not so good?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2005, 12:32 PM

I'm really considering a 12" once they come out. I really don't need the raw speed of the PowerBook and the small screen is actually appealing to me because I want it to be extra portable and easy to move from meeting to meeting with little trouble.

The 14" iBook just isn't appealing to me...

I keep flip flopping between a 12" PowerBook and a 12" iBook

12" PowerBook
$1,699.00
12.1-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
1.5GHz PowerPC G4
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
80GB Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce FX
Go5200 (64MB DDR)
Full size keyboard
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
FireWire 400
Analog audio in/out
Mini-DVI out

vs.

12" iBook
$1,074.00
1.2GHz PowerPC G4
512K L2 cache @1.2GHz
12-inch TFT Displays
1024x768 resolution
512MB DDR266 SDRAM
30GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
32MB DDR video memory
AirPort Extreme built-in

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2005, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I'd definitely go for a maxed out iBook over the PowerBook unless I needed DVI or a Superdrive. I think I'd be getting a more durable dent resistant unit for less money. To me, the speed difference is inconsequential. 'Course I'm not sure what to think after Wiskedjak's comments.

Voch
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2005, 01:35 PM

I'd definitely go for a maxed out iBook over the PowerBook unless I needed DVI or a Superdrive. I think I'd be getting a more durable dent resistant unit for less money. To me, the speed difference is inconsequential. 'Course I'm not sure what to think after Wiskedjak's comments.
I agree...go for the iBook (and maybe wait for the update if you can) and max out the RAM. Sounds like the iBooks generally run cooler than the 12" PowerBook, but I can't say since I've never owned one.

My debate is do I want an iBook 12" for price and portability or another 15" PowerBook for the screen, Gigabit ethernet, and faster hard drive when the time comes later this year. Since I have some time to wait we'll see what Apple brings over to the iBook in the near future.

Voch

Game�
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2005, 11:41 PM

I really hope they give the new iBooks 512MB of RAM.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2005, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by Game�:
I really hope they give the new iBooks 512MB of RAM.
That would be nice. Unfortunately (predictable as Apple is) the extra 256MB will probably fill the empty slot, then you'll have to throw out the stick to add more later.

mike518
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2005, 08:38 AM

I wouldn't really care whether or not they gave it a "speed bump", but if they upped the hard-drive to 40GB and the RAM to 512MB I think that would be awesome. At the moment I'm still a PC user but in about 2 months I will own my first MAC. Can't wait. Haha, so hard to pick one of them and stick to it, but if this is what happens to the iBook, then that's what I shall buy for sure.

If they did anything else, I think the iBook would become too close to the Powerbook, and I doubt Apple will do that.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2005, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by mike518:
I wouldn't really care whether or not they gave it a "speed bump", but if they upped the hard-drive to 40GB and the RAM to 512MB I think that would be awesome. At the moment I'm still a PC user but in about 2 months I will own my first MAC. Can't wait. Haha, so hard to pick one of them and stick to it, but if this is what happens to the iBook, then that's what I shall buy for sure.

If they did anything else, I think the iBook would become too close to the Powerbook, and I doubt Apple will do that.
It's a moving target. Eventually you will just say "I can't wait any longer!" Hopefully it's just after an update.

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2005, 03:40 PM

I pray for a wide screen ibook.

I dont really need the power, all I need is a decent resolution & a wide screen format with it would be great.

If such an iBook came out I would instanly upgrade this old G3 & be happy running iPhoto & the GIMP
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

mike518
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2005, 12:39 AM

It's a moving target. Eventually you will just say "I can't wait any longer!" Hopefully it's just after an update.
Haha I'm definately waiting for the update.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2005, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by ixus_123:
I pray for a wide screen ibook.

I dont really need the power, all I need is a decent resolution & a wide screen format with it would be great.

If such an iBook came out I would instanly upgrade this old G3 & be happy running iPhoto & the GIMP
Running The GIMP in a PPC distro of Linux (such as Ubuntu) is much faster than running it through Apple's OS X X11 implementation.

Homer S.
Mar 23, 2005, 05:16 PM

i wish this could happen.. but .. im not sure about the vram:

12" 1.33 ghz
256 ram
64 vram
40G HD

donniedarko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2005, 08:52 PM

I would like to see a 1.4ghz G5, 512mb, 40gb h/d, new video card, and the powerbooks get 1.6-1.8ghz G5 respectively and a new video card, mobile 9800 for 12inch, mobile 6600 for 15,17inch.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2005, 09:38 PM

how about some louder speakers? my book is so quiet i honestly can't hear it if i, say, eat an apple* while watching a dvd.

sminch

* by apple i mean a fruit of the species Malus domestica, not an apple computer as that would clearly be quite a noisy procedure.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 09:49 AM

It's kind of disappointing that there haven't been any iBook rumors as of late. Most of the attention seems to be on Tiger. But, I'm still hopeful that we will see new iBooks sometime this/next month.

Voch
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 10:47 AM

I think the lack of iBook rumors is because they really don't have far to go without running on the PowerBook specifications, the usual iBook rants (screen quality, lack of PC card slot, etc.), and that they've had the same basic look for four years now (not a problem, just an observation). I, for one, have been checking this and other forums frequently for some buzz and haven't seen much either.

Voch

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2005, 10:56 AM

Well, yeah, that and the lawyers.

jpellino
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2005, 10:07 AM

Colors - this is problematic - right now, any color but white in this polycarbonate show scratches - this is why white has been the rule - go find an original colored iBook and see how scruffy these look. i have a May 2001 iBook and it still looks perfectly acceptable, because you can't see the scratches. Though if they went to anodized colors like the Ipod Mini - maybe, but the metal finish eats into the PB design...

VRAM/GPU - this would be the easiest bump for them, and would get the iBooks into Tiger more readily - IIRC they have had all shipping machines able to handle the new features of the current OS wth each subsequent release.

RAM - they'll likely keep it at 256 - Tiger can do this, and they can make money on the bumps - we can all go to macseek and save money anyway...

Speed - They will likely match the mini - max out the CPU on the 14 and go a step lower on the 12 as always - remember - the 14's slightly larger battery capacity can take this easier than the 12.

Battery - if they were smart (and they are, but sometimes other things can get in the way) they could and should adopt the 12-20% higher capacity batteries that 3rd parties are now touting.

Price - If they can take it, drop the price $50-100 across the line - laptop sales are flattening out, and there are increasingly decent PCs bumping down towards their weight and price points. After 4 years, they've paid off the mortgage on the case tooling, and the design's a winner -freeze it and pass the savings on.

Wish List - differentiate the 14" screen. I'm buying a new iBook as soon as the new ones ship with Tiger. I plan on buying a 12" AP/combo/BT. The one feature that would make me buy a 14 is if they went to a 1280 screen. Or change both - I suspect they will soon run out of people who want to make 1024 screens at these two sizes or will have to subsidize someone who will - and that gets expensive - but that means retooling completely for a new screen, also expensive.

Wish List II - reversable lid for tablet operation - but only if Ink is ready for it, and only as a third model in the lineup.

Wish List III - if there is no secret magic audio box, then line in for GarageBand recording.

Looks like it's 6 to 5 and call'em on what they'll do. My sense is that Steve has found a balance in each release of some new astounding changes and some underwhelming ones - so it wouldn't surprise me if it went "new display/no spec changes" or "FW800/$50 drop" or "VRAM/CPU bumps only"

trip
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2005, 03:34 PM

I am hoping (and think this will happen):

1) 12 and 14 will be 512 ram by deafult. I think tiger will require it.

2)The 14 will be 1.5ghz in (just as the old powerbook 12 was 1.33 and so was the 14 ibook)

3) The 14 will have options for 8x super drive and 64 vram. I believe the 64 vram option is very likely since apple will want to sell more of their new & fancy lcd displays. The 20 and 23 inch will likely require 64 vram.

IMHO

If it doesn't I'm buying a powerbook!
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

aafuss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2005, 04:08 AM

A new design would also be welcome-especially say if there could be a widescreen, but mainly because the current iBook's design is getting old-nearly 4 years.

Maybe in iPod mini style colors-a AlBook style is certainly not good idea.
BT 2.0+EDR as a option
A faster system bus -167MHz like the Mac mini.
( Last edited by aafuss; Mar 27, 2005 at 04:17 AM. )
Invader Zim
"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubberpants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!"

A.A.'s Mac-Mac mini Core Solo 1.5GHz, 512MB, 60GB SATA HDD, Combo Drive, OS X 10.4.5, iWork '06, iLife '06, Logic Express 7. Mouse-Logitech G7, Keyboard-MS Digital Media Keyboar
Fifth Generation iPod (30GB)-White

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2005, 04:28 AM

these are all great ideas but, given the recent unimpressive upspec in the powerbook range, i can't imagine many of them happening any time soon.

as someone said in this forum a few months back, ibooks already trim off potential powerbook buyers - or at least the ones who can make do with a little less power. if the ibooks upspec any more they'll just be even closer to the powerbook specs and there'll be even less reason to shell out the extra for a pbook. if there were a decent ibook speed bump, any kind of price drop, stock ram increase, widescreen etc etc then that'll take a big chunk out of the powerbook market for sure, and no way would apple want this.

with this in mind i can't imagine that there'll be a major ibook upspec until there's been one for the powerbooks.

sminch

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2005, 05:21 AM

Apple seriously needs to have a kick-ass notebook, Steve Jobs baby!

iBook G4
Same old design, made slightly thinner.
40GB HDs standard
Just Two Models: 12" and 14".

1.33 Ghz G4
40 GB Drive
Combo Drive
256MB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
64 MB VRAM
12" 1024x768
$999

1.42 Ghz G4
60 GB Drive
SuperDrive
512MB RAM
GeForce FX 5200
64MB VRAM
14" 1280x854 widescreen; pretty please.
$1,399 or possibly $1,299.

Just a minor revamp, like the iBooks have been having since October 2003, and really May 2001. The iBooks may be a little boring, but there is no reason to go do anything new.
However, the PowerBooks and Power Macs are crying for updates: I predict a 12":
The SuperDrive model will cost $1499, replacing the old Combo. At $1699 you get a backlit keyboard, FireWire 800, Digital Audio, and Dual-link DVI option. This will make the PowerBook worth the extra $700 to many, when combined with the exisisting features.
15":
For $1899 you get dual-core 1.5 Ghz, otherwise exactly the same. Similiarly, the SuperDrive model gives you dual-core 1.5 Ghz for $2199. It also adds a Dual-link DVI. Although this is not always faster then 1.67 Ghz, it almost always is. Digital audio out on every model. A Radeon 9800 would be optional.
The 17" would be the sole holder of dual-core 1.67 Ghz. It would also be the sole holder of a default Mobility Radeon 9800 w/64MB VRAM; the most powerful Mobile graphic chip availiable! And perrfectly suited to the high-res 17" display.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2005, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by sminch:
if there were a decent ibook speed bump, any kind of price drop, stock ram increase, widescreen etc etc then that'll take a big chunk out of the powerbook market for sure, and no way would apple want this.
That's why it would make perfect sense for Apple to release a new design. It would breathe new life into the iBook, making it new and fresh again, while not further endangering the thinning spec advantages for the PowerBook.

And, darn, after so long of seeing the same iBook design (in all it's variations) I am very ready to see something new.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2005, 12:05 AM

That's why it would make perfect sense for Apple to release a new design. It would breathe new life into the iBook, making it new and fresh again, while not further endangering the thinning spec advantages for the PowerBook.

And, darn, after so long of seeing the same iBook design (in all it's variations) I am very ready to see something new.
Apple sells a lot of iBooks to the education market. Those buyers don't want the design to change. They want replacement units to be the same shape and size as current units.

I doubt there will be any design changes in the next year.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2005, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by mgl:
Apple sells a lot of iBooks to the education market. Those buyers don't want the design to change. They want replacement units to be the same shape and size as current units.

I doubt there will be any design changes in the next year.
So schools will be happier if a redesign comes next year instead of this year? I don't understand your logic.

Apple typically redesigns their computers every few years. Typically it has been when there's a new processor to put in them. In the case of the PowerBooks, aluminum models came out with the same G4 processor as the previous titanium PowerBooks. In the case of the iBook, Dual USB iBooks came out with the same G3 processor as previous iBooks. I suspect Apple will release newly designed iBooks just as soon as they have something better. I doubt education desires will have anything to do with it.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2005, 01:40 AM

I just meant schools would be happier if there wasn't a case change. I didn't mean they'd be happier next year, just that it's unlikely this year given all iBooks for the next year will be similar in capability as the ones for the last year. If Apple were to change LCD sizes or aspect ratios, something I think is unlikely for the iBook at this time given the price points, that would be a good time to change the case.

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2005, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by jamil5454:
Running The GIMP in a PPC distro of Linux (such as Ubuntu) is much faster than running it through Apple's OS X X11 implementation.
I was using Ubuntu on my beige x86, although I have now crossed to the dark side (KDE) & am using SimplyMEPIS.

Unfortunatley, I think my CD drive has iven up the ghost - it doesnt seem to want to boot from any Linux CDs. The furthest I've got is CD2 on YDL, ubuntu wont boot. Gentoo will in a very basic mode.

When i upgrade (when there is affordable widescreen) I will probably have some sort of dual boot system. I have some PPC live CDs so I can test out in the shop

I have got used to using Linux with some great apps like:

The GIMP - for graphics
Abiword - word processing
Gnumeric - spreadsheet

I love Firefox & Thunderbird - as such it is proving very difficult not to upgrade to a PC laptop. I can get widescreen, high resolution display with dual layer DVD burner for less than a basic spec iBook at the moment.

The only thing holding me bach is the fantastic iBook build quality, battery life & mainly iPhoto. iPhoto is a killer app for me. Just please, please Apple, give me a decent wide screen display for my spreadsheets, tool palets, even web page & messenger client side by side.
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

gregvr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2005, 08:22 AM

Well, obviously it depends on what you need. I bought a 12" Powerbook about 2.5 years ago for $1900 (the iBook G4s were not out yet), and now I really wish that I could trade it for an iBook G4.)

The only thing I like more is how the Powerbook LOOKS. But...

1. Airport reception is not as good as an iBook
2. The outside case gets very very cold in the winter and very hot in the summer.
3. The aluminum case, while it LOOKS durable, is actually not durable in the slightest. In order to keep weight down, Apple really made lots of the case as THIN as they possibly could. As a result, it is VERY susceptible to dents, bends, etc. Mine has bent so much that the battery will no longer stay in, and I have to use TAPE.

So-- my recommendation? Go with the iBook. Sure, it doesn't look as good, and isn't as high on the performance side, but you save TONS of money and end up with a much more durable computer!

Forum Links
Forum Rules