Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nintendo Revolution

Nintendo Revolution (Page 4)
goMac
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2005, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
I know that. "Move and carry around" is exactly why those ports are in a bad location.
: sighs :

There isn't a CF port on the top. Those are GameCube memory ports, not CF.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
: sighs :

There isn't a CF port on the top. Those are GameCube memory ports, not CF.
Sigh, who cares what they are you use the for the same purpose? When did I say there were CF? Are you hallucinating now?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2005, 04:57 PM

Sigh, who cares what they are you use the for the same purpose? When did I say there were CF? Are you hallucinating now?
No, the Revolution stores it's data on CF. You won't be pulling Revolution saved games out of those ports. Those are just for old GameCube games and peripherals. Nothing for the revolution appears to be on the top. Only old GameCube things. No swapping Revolution stuff out of the top. Only GameCube.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 05:04 PM

No, the Revolution stores it's data on CF. You won't be pulling Revolution saved games out of those ports. Those are just for old GameCube games and peripherals. Nothing for the revolution appears to be on the top. Only old GameCube things. No swapping Revolution stuff out of the top. Only GameCube.
Sorry I hadn't realized that Nintendo was using rewritable CD's every time you wanted to take the game to another system like a friends house.

Your expertise on the matter is astounding.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob
See current XBox scenario for playing DVDs. Gotta add a remote. At least that's how I read it.
"though the unit will require "an internal attachment" to play movies."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05..._topslot_click

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 08:03 PM

i was just checking out some E3 coverage on g4/techtv and they interviewed tony hawk. he said that he was excited because the consoles will determine the direction of new games. he basically said when the console allows you to do anything you want... you do anything you want.

obviously, nintendo can produce a game thats fun and yet not graphics intensive but come on. developers outside nintendo would want a system that was cash money blinging.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 05:31 AM

SHS,
take a step back, breathe deeply. Then ask yourself, what do YOU want in console gaming ? Do you want the ones with the best graphics ? the one thats most popular ? the one with the most number of games ? Does brand name matter ? does contributing to gaming in general(not just visually, but controls as well) make a difference to your experience ?(in other words... did the NES controller make a difference ? did analog control or did the rumble feature make a difference ?)
If all you want are graphics......go watch the Final Fantasy movie. if you want super audio, goto a theater and watch a movie. The thing that makes gaming special to the entertainment industry is 'interactivity'.... thats the thing that sets it apart....not visuals or sound. And unless a console produces takes control and makes it better, the gaming industry as a whole stagnates. it would be like being stuck in DOS or OS9/Win95 for endless periods of time. it does make a world of difference.

About the revolution. What we know right now is great stuff.....backwards compatibility, wifi, wireless controllers. We dont know a whole lot about the revolution, so it's not exactly pragmatic to assume a worst case scenario. i'll admit i was disappointed in their e3 presentation, but thats not reason to assume the worst. Nintendo unlike MS and Sony, dont hype up their numbers and performace....they delivered a very capable system with the N64 and cube(both technically superior to the PS1 and PS2 respectively). The benfit of the doubt is clearly on their side. And as far as cotent.....well....this IS Nintendo.

Bottom line about the revolution....... we just dont know.

So my scorecard for the big 3:
Sony: 1
Microsoft: 0
Nintendo: ?

Thats my stance. i'm looking forward to hear about what Nintneod has in store for gamers...in fact im obviously more curious now. PS3....very cool...very powerful....can it deliver ? (The PS2 could never produce 'toy story'-like graphics...history is not on Sony's side here)...but im still liking the PS3. Xbox360.....well...it'g gotten bitch slapped into ambiguity by the PS3 alone.

Cheers

starman
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2005, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
SHS,
take a step back, breathe deeply. Then ask yourself, what do YOU want in console gaming ? Do you want the ones with the best graphics ? the one thats most popular ? the one with the most number of games ? Does brand name matter ? does contributing to gaming in general(not just visually, but controls as well) make a difference to your experience ?(in other words... did the NES controller make a difference ? did analog control or did the rumble feature make a difference ?)

If all you want are graphics......go watch the Final Fantasy movie. if you want super audio, goto a theater and watch a movie. The thing that makes gaming special to the entertainment industry is 'interactivity'.... thats the thing that sets it apart....not visuals or sound. And unless a console produces takes control and makes it better, the gaming industry as a whole stagnates. it would be like being stuck in DOS or OS9/Win95 for endless periods of time. it does make a world of difference.
What kind of analogy are you trying to draw with the graphics/audio statement? It's a poor analogy because in both cases, there's no interactivity. Want superior graphics AND superior audio AND interactivity? Get an Xbox because it does HDTV and Dolby Digital 5.1.

Visuals and sound make better games? Then let's all dump our next gen consoles and play Yar's Revenge on the Atari 2600

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 11:37 AM

SHS,
take a step back, breathe deeply. Then ask yourself, what do YOU want in console gaming ? Do you want the ones with the best graphics ? the one thats most popular ? the one with the most number of games ? Cheers
yes to all 3. that's not the revolution.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 12:31 PM

"People are apparently getting excited about a little blip in the Nintendo Revolution press release that is also being interpreted as a sign that Nintendo will allow homebrew games to be uploaded and played to the upcoming console. Here’s the bit:

Freedom of design: A dynamic development architecture equally accommodates both big-budget, high-profile game “masterpieces” as well as indie games conceived by individual developers equipped with only a big idea.
If I hadn’t been at the press conference, I might parse that the same way, but it was clear from the talk that Nintendo—the company so afraid of piracy that they shut down emulator sites and made their game discs in the Gamecube spin backwards—has no intention of letting fledgling developers copy their own content to the Revolution and play it. They even mentioned a “new DRM system” at the conference (which was heralded by a lone boo), ensuring everyone that the only way to get content onto the Revolution was via one of their locked down channels (online downloads, and I’m presuming maybe in-store purchases).
Anyway, just wanted to clear that up. In no way did Nintendo imply that they’ll be letting people execute unsigned code that they made themselves on the Revolution. What they’re really saying, I think, is that they might be distributing other “indie” developers software as a publisher."

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2005, 01:37 AM

This is sorta funny:

"Joystiq and Engadget got our grubby fingers on the Nintendo Revolution box (yes, the one behind the locked door in the secret room guarded by a beefy muscleman). We picked it up, we played with the buttons, we poked, we prodded, and we slipped a CD into it. Oops! We weren’t supposed to do that. Guess what happened?
The CD just fell into the box. No mechanism grabbed the edge of the CD and pulled it in slowly, even though the box was plugged in. The CD just slid in cleanly and quickly except for brief resistance at the entrance. There wasn’t any scraping or messy sound to it, so the CD didn’t collide with any internal mechanism that one might expect it to collide with were such mechanisms present. To get the CD out, we just tipped the box over and it slid right back out. Really, it was as if the CD had been dropped into a small, rectangular box with smooth sides.
All that glowing slot does is just glow.
When we picked up the Revolution and turned it over in our hands, we noticed that was hefty and had a good, solid feel to it. All of the cables and plugs looked like they were functional as well. There was nothing obviously fake about this prototype except for the funny CD mechanism, but this is certainly curious. We also shook the box vigorously to see if there were any loose or moving parts inside of it but there were no sounds; everything appeared to be fixed inside the box.
Does this mean that the actual unit on display is a pure dummy model with a few weights inside it to give it heft? Does this indicate anything about how far along Nintendo is with the development of the Revolution? If we were to load a disc into the Xbox 360 or the PS3, what would happen? Is the lack of a working slot-loading mechanism worrisome, or typical in a prototype at this stage of development?"

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000270043981/

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

meelk
Baninated
May 20, 2005, 07:45 AM

1)Nintendo will not go out of business or become a 3rd party. Nintendo made a 21% margin last year, and makes a hefty one every year. They have taken a loss on one financial report *ever*. By comparison, Sony made a 6% margin, and MS made nothing.
http://www.latimes.com/technology/la...ck=1&cset=true

2)The Rev. uses 512meg of flash to download to, and has 2 additional SD memory slots. SD is cheap and you can put it in yourself, unlike a hard drive. Furthermore, if you wanted to play the games on the cards at a friends house, you could simply pull the card out and take it over, unlike a hard drive.

3)I believe nintendo didnt show games because they cant. They cant because showing gameplay from any game would give away the major "feature" of the system, which is the same new 3D effect that movies will be using by 2007. At a movie studio roundtable on discussion of the technology Robert Rodriguez happened to let it drop that a game console would be bringing this technology out before it was seen in feature films. This aligns nicely with reports that Nintendo was showing an add on for the gamecube which did amazing 3D effects behind closed doors at last years E3. That addon has never come to market and was probably bumped to Revolution. I wish I could find what I think was an IGN link discussing robert rodriguez accidently spilling the beans, but IGN post E3 its impossible to find anything. Here is a different link mentioning the tech though:
http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Stor...440820,00.html

4)The controller is almost certainly something very special, or nintendo would not have been hiding it at the show. Several different rumors of people who have had hands on say its amazing, and everyone acts like they are keeping one of the worlds greatest secrets from everyone else when pressed for more.

In the end, you either like Nintendo or you dont, I personally know that when I buy a game that is a nintendo first party game, it will almost certainly be a triple A title, or at least as good to better than similar titles on the market. That is worth a little faith and some irritation now and again. Make no mistake though, Nintendo is here to stay.

meelk
Baninated
May 20, 2005, 07:49 AM

oops. forgot to mention, the CPU and GPU being named Hollywood and Broadway lend a LOT of support to the movie studio 3D effect theory, this tech supposedly will not require a headset, and will not hurt your eyes, like 3D movies of old did.

Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2005, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by meelk
2)The Rev. uses 512meg of flash to download to, and has 2 additional SD memory slots. SD is cheap and you can put it in yourself, unlike a hard drive. Furthermore, if you wanted to play the games on the cards at a friends house, you could simply pull the card out and take it over, unlike a hard drive.
WRONG. The hard drive on the 360 is made just to pop off the top for you to take your entire collection of whatever with you. All the systems have memory card slots and the PS3 has many different types of standard ones not proprietary ones.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2005, 11:31 AM

Hehehe... well the revolution(the whole thing) will probably be the same size as the HD they use in the XBox so that really dosent matter. of course im exgagerating there....but you get my point. the thing is tiny.

also to put things into perspective to avoid any negativity towards Nintendo(solely cause we have no idea what theyre offering yet)....
1. XBox360 demos were running on top of the line PMG5s(XBox dev kit machines) and looked like crap. They didnt even have sample XBox360s to run demos on and they are going to be shipping in 6-7 months ? i call 'hype'
2. PS3 stuff was most probably prerendered stuff....from what ppl are saying(or rather not saying).

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2005, 12:13 PM

Ummm.... guys.... what do you reckon this is ?
These are pictures on the Nintendo web site on it's E3 coverage....

http://www.nintendo.com/e3_2005/slides_matt.html. (Images 28-30)

Could it be you know what ?.....im highly skeptical at this point....but what is that ?

ender2002
Senior User
May 20, 2005, 01:52 PM

Duh. Its Yamagutchi.

porieux
Baninated
May 20, 2005, 05:07 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 07:46 AM. )

radii_22
May 20, 2005, 05:17 PM

I would give a chance to Nintendo this time. Sony and MS did well in trying to show that power = quality. The specs are amazing, the video footage are awesome (almost "incredible", if you look at the Killzone video, for example), the industrial design is aweful but enough to produce a marketing impact. However, the games will continue to be the same as always : male orientated, not seductif and not innovating games. And user interaction? Its almost incredible to see that no one of the 2 big companies has thought in new possibilities in the physical control of the games, that's as important as the development of the games itself. The controller of the Xbox 360 : Oh, yes Steve and Bill, you did great in making a revised version of the almost failed Xbox 1 controller, but this time white and wireless!. Sony : Your boomerang controller is so uninventive that it appears to be a joke!

That's why I think that the Nintendo's next console could be the best of the three : The key in next gen gaming must be in user control and interaction and not only in computer graphics power. They did a goof try (but not enough) with the DS, I hope they do better in the "revolution" new controller. Maybe the new controller will be a screen itself, maybe it will be a thing more integrated with the movement of hands and arms...
--->>> Karate is only for defense

cgc
Professional Poster
May 20, 2005, 08:19 PM

Deleted

chotty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2005, 09:04 PM

Thanks for pointing that out, Captain Obvious!

Another pic:
Looks like a giant SD card with that notch.

http://www.1up.com/do/imageDisplay?id=1897381

starman
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2005, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by porieux
Nintendo make the best games by far. MS doesn't know squat about gaming and Sony isn't too clued in either really. The game industry has been in a shambles for years.
Pfft. Yeah, Sony (Final Fantasy, Crash Bandicoot) and MS (Halo, Project Gotham Racing, Xbox Live) knows nothing.

Mike

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2005, 09:39 PM

Shambles??!?!?!?!?!?!

Jeez, I wish my bank account was in "shambles" like the poor, poor gaming industry.

Nintendo came to E3 with nothing but promises and hints. Sure, one can be optomistic that they'll deliver, but that doesn't change that fact that Sony and MS showed up with real gear and already have gamers making out their xmas wish lists.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

SomeToast
Senior User
May 20, 2005, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by andretan
Sorry but can anyone explain how is the 8cm DVD going to work in a slot-load 12cm DVD drive?
My Pioneer slot-loading car stereo could do it in 1992. Every slot-loading iMac we have in the office can do it today. Nintendo should be able to deal.

(There's a pair of vertical bars on arms just behind the slot that separate with the force of the inserted disc to guide it in.)

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
May 20, 2005, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by starman
Pfft. Yeah, Sony (Final Fantasy, Crash Bandicoot) and MS (Halo, Project Gotham Racing, Xbox Live) knows nothing.

Mike
FF = Square/Enix
Crash = Naughty Dog
Halo = Bungie (damn MS for buying them!)

PGR is the only game you correctly attributed. You somehow also managed to confuse a service, XBox live, with a game.

The important point is which company can manage a console business best. Frankly, I have little reason to be confident in Nintendo on that point. They've said some things at E3 that were promising, but we'll see how they pan out.

BlackGriffen
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

Saint_Stryfe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2005, 01:51 AM

And the last GOOD Crash Bandicoot game was... yeah. And Halo's gotten derivative after two releases. FF is done by Square/Enix, while Gods amung men, they're not Sony's bitch (given they're also developing for the 360 and REV, as well as DS and GBA).

In the end, I trust Nintendo to, in everything, release something I want to play. THe sheer ammount of games that'll be released for PS3 ensures it'll have a place in my console box. But the 360 so far shows me nothing the PS3 - and well, I have no reason to think they'll release anything I'll care about, being the rest of the systems will have default online now.

Saint_Stryfe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2005, 01:53 AM

oh and that Skelleton reminds me of Killer Instinct, Nintendo's Mortal Kombat killer of the mid 90's. I'd love to see another game in that series.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2005, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Saint_Stryfe
oh and that Skelleton reminds me of Killer Instinct, Nintendo's Mortal Kombat killer of the mid 90's. I'd love to see another game in that series.
I still have the soundtrack CD from that game.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2005, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by thunderous_funker
Shambles??!?!?!?!?!?!

Jeez, I wish my bank account was in "shambles" like the poor, poor gaming industry.

Nintendo came to E3 with nothing but promises and hints. Sure, one can be optomistic that they'll deliver, but that doesn't change that fact that Sony and MS showed up with real gear and already have gamers making out their xmas wish lists.

I am revising my analysiss of Nintendo at E3 05. It was a disappointment , yes...definately, there's no denying that as a fan or foe of Nintendo. Why do i change my outlook on Revolution ? Simple....lets explore.....
1. XBox360 has been announced to be shipping by Christmas 05.....in all seriousness, i dont think M$ will meet that deadline. Why ? given their track record of meeting deadlines, the fact that demos wernt even running on actual hardware. it's hype at the most. XBox360 will ship eventually, and they used E3 to hype it....great marketing. (Something Nintendo dosent get)

2. Sony PS3 (the most intreguing of the 3 keynotes at E305). Will be shipping early next year (Spring...which to me is April-June).

So basically none of the hardware(XBox 360, PS3, NRS) has been carved in stone and moved to the production lines. What that means is, the specs, features, controllers, etc could and possibly will potentially change before any of the 3 beging shipping.

History lesson.... N64 vs PS1.... N64 implemented analog control in a console controller, PS1 had none. Guess which consoles followed the N64 with analog controls. Also, N64 had the rumble pack....guess who all followed... And then came wireless with the wavebird. Nintendo developed and implemented all those first.... and the other two just imitated, and basically added nothing to a primarily 'interactive' medium of games.

So in the previous 2 generations of consoles:
-Nintendo: Analog control, rumble, wireless
-Sony: ???
-Microsoft:???
(The ??? means i dont know of any in terms of controller UI design or even game design...heck anything to do with gaming)

Therefore.... if history is any indication of what the future will bring....we can expect Sony and MS(well thats no surprise) will end up copying Nintendo yet again.

Thinking from a technical and busness perspective, why would Nintendo want to give the competition a full year heads up on it's next big thing in controller design ?

Therefore....i think they made a great decision to NOT show if off. Why did they decide not to show off screenshots or in game footage....possibly because the UI design will tie into the visuals of the game ?(remember that obscure patent they took out?)

So i think given the past, Nintendo has delivered in terms of technical specification and games...visually and in terms of gameplay mechanics, etc. they have innovated both the art of story telling in games, the software that controls the mechanics of games and the hardware UI and asthetic design of consoles. Not many companies can claim so much.

I think i can say with some certainty that when Nintendo says they have something big, they probably do. After all, they never claimed 'Toy Story'-like graphics in the Cube...yet here we are, with RE4 and TLOZ....which are pretty darn cinematic (without FMVs).

I'm looking forward to what their next contribution is going to be. i enjoy the games and the UI contributions they have made....such as controller design, analog and rumble...so i cant say ive been disappointed with their contribution at all. If third parties perceive it to be a 'weeker' of the 3....well...maybe they aught to take a second look at whats capable on Nintendo's systems. If nintendo can tell stories and create experiences like TLOZ, and a second party can create a game like MPE, and yet another third party can create a game like RE4....chances are if, the 'artists' in other companies wanted to create such experiences, the technology in no way was lacking.

Cheers

Saintos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2005, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
I doubt that pic is real, if only because of the slot-loading aspect. Getting a slot-loader to accept two different sizes of disc is no mean feat.

Two things about this post:
"is no mean feat." are you trying to say this is difficult? i've never heard that expression used like that. sounds opposite.

My honda (02 civic EX) says in the manual that it's slot loading cd player can accept both full size and mini discs. I am quite surprised and disappointed that apple has never supported this feature.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
May 21, 2005, 11:18 AM

[...]
Therefore.... if history is any indication of what the future will bring....we can expect Sony and MS(well thats no surprise) will end up copying Nintendo yet again.
[...]
Well, there is at least one exception I can think of: the GC controller layout, and the analog shoulder button 'click.' Both of these features were supposed to be, ahem, 'revolutionary.' So, even though I believe that Nintendo may have something interesting in the works, I do not have 'teh faith!'

More important for Nintendo is getting the business aspects right. Get as many third parties as possible, including the indie devs. Have a successful marketing campaign that gets them a large initial installed base. If Nintendo can pull this off, it can do well - it may not become dominant or even second, but they'll be profitable enough to stick around for the next round.

Also, re: the indie devs. What I interpreted that to mean is that Nintendo will make a low cost or free API available that has reduced capabilities compared to the Rev's main API. Something that can be run on a computer (perhaps Mac only) and also run on the Rev. Maybe it will be as simple as Flash, or maybe it will be more. Perhaps it will be like a java virtual machine. Maybe even something completely proprietary. The point of all this being that: A, the dev shouldn't need to debug on actual hardware if the API is software managed; and B, the dev won't be able to make top notch games, but that's fine because because this is for devs without the budget to make top notch games anyway.

Then it's just a matter of Nintendo making their online distribution channel available (after play-testing and whatnot by Nintendo to check what they'd be distributing).

BlackGriffen
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2005, 12:30 PM

Oh i totally agree. Not everything Nintendo comes out with will be a hit...no comany or person can boast a 100% success rate. but im glad theyre taking risks and exploring possibilities instead of copying and stagnating.

On the busness side of things...i cannot agree more. I remember when George Harrison said at e3 a couple of years ago that the marke they are targeting the 10-18 yr olds !!! i remember saying how they were shooting themselves in the foot by doing that. Nintendo busness has never been their strong points...in fact it's their main weekness as far as im concerned. there's no shortage of great engineers and artists in that company for sure, but their managers are clueless (quite comparable to Apple's managment through the late 80s and early 90s actually).

And to be honest i really dont know how the busness side of console gaming works. and im surprised that Nintendo hasnt been able to adapt to a more competitive environment. so if someone chould shed light on the busness side of the relationship they have with their developers id appreciate it . Do they charge heavily for dev kits ? do they charge a lot for publishing ? whats the busness model there ?

Also....is it just me or are you guys just stunned by the quality of new TLOZ screens on IGN. this game looks like an illustrated story book in 3D.

Cheers.
P.S.>>what with the 'teh' ? i dont understand

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2005, 12:40 PM

2. PS3 stuff was most probably prerendered stuff....from what ppl are saying(or rather not saying).
It was confirmed most of the demos were pre-rendered.

That leaves us with a big 0 number of consoles with actual console gameplay/graphics shown.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2005, 12:57 PM

It was confirmed most of the demos were pre-rendered.

That leaves us with a big 0 number of consoles with actual console gameplay/graphics shown.
But didnt SONY confirm that the CG was rendered real-time on a PS3 ? if they were...there's a good chance the games can look as good as that.

meelk
Baninated
May 21, 2005, 02:43 PM

WRONG. The hard drive on the 360 is made just to pop off the top for you to take your entire collection of whatever with you. All the systems have memory card slots and the PS3 has many different types of standard ones not proprietary ones.
The hard drive is replaceable on those units for UPGRADES. not for you to take games with you, as the games wont be stored on the damn drives anyway. Before you post, learn something. The flash slots on the PS3 will not be used for game storage (downloaded content) as they will on the DS they will be for "media home" style crap, as Sony wants to be the end all be all set top box. Again, before you post, learn something. moron.

warallthetime
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2005, 10:48 PM

What's with all the Nintendo hating? First of all, we all know the revolutionary aspect will be the controller. So those of you saying there's nothing revolutionary about the Rev, just wait and see... I have faith that what they're doing is really going to redefine how games are controlled. If you're going to be happy playing graphically souped-up versions of existing games like the next GTA or Metal Gear 4 or Halo 3, then you're exactly the consumer MS and Sony are targetting. For me, nice graphics last about the first 0.5 hours of the game until you get used to it, then what? If the gameplay is unorginal, in the end all you have is a great looking mediocre game. I like to play games, not stare at them admiring the graphics.

Look at all the past "innovations" in video game consoles...ie. analog control, rumble feature, wireless controllers, shoulder buttons...all were first employed by nintendo, and all were later copied by Sony/MS. Can you blame them for not showing the "revolutionary" aspect given past history? The Rev will be the last of the 3 systems to be released, so it's no surprise that they're also lagging behind MS and Sony in terms of development. The revolution's release will be mid 2006, they still have next year's E3 before the rev is actually released. So for what reason is there to reveal everything about their system during this year's E3?

Now look at the PSP vs. DS. The PSP's graphsics are stunning...the DS's leaves much to be desired. Yet somehow, Nintendo has sold 5million DS's vs Sony's 2.5M PSP's. For those that want to have the best graphics on the block, clearly the ps3 is the system for you. But there's more to gaming consoles than just pure technological muscle. Innovation and affordability is definitely something most consumers value, and there is no way in hell the PS3 is going to be even close to the Rev's price point.

Nintendo claims 2-3x the power of GC, MS claims something like 15x the power of Xbox1, while Sony claims something like 35x power of PS2. So far I have seen nothing to back up any of this. Look at perfect dark for 360 or any of the other games they've shown, they look just marginally better than current xbox1 titles. They definitely do not seem 15x better. What about Sony? All they've shown are videos of cut scenes and CG. I have yet to see a single in game shot running off actual PS3 hardware..nor has any of their next gen games been playable.

Come to think of it, how is Nintendo's showing of the Rev any different from MS's or Sony's? As far as MS and Sony goes, all they've shown us is a plastic housing and specs. None of the demos they've shown are running on 360 or ps3 hardware. You know what's sad? MS is 6months from the 360's launch and the playable demos they had at e3 not only look about on par with current gen games, but they're not even running on xbox 360's... they're running off G5 PowerMacs. http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/...spx?i=2420&p=5

Oh, and for us 20-something's that grew up in the 8 and 16-bit generations, the promise of a huge download library of NES and SNES games is reason enough to purchase a revolution. This feature alone holds more promise than any Cell processor or state of the art GPU imo. And no, illegal NES and SNES emulation is not a replacement for Rev's backwards compatibility; for the same reason that piracy on the PS2 greatly de-values the games, although they may "play" the same. Those of you that don't understand what i'm getting at here, you can go buy your $500 (if you're lucky) PS3 when it comes out. =P

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2005, 11:57 PM

On the G4TV Live E3 show they just interviewed that nintendo guy (who's name is eluding me currently). It was mostly fluff, but he did say one thing that was intesting when pressed about the Revolution's controller. (paraphrased) "Well, think about what we've told you so far about the revolution. That you will be able to play NES, SNES, N64, Revolution and GameCube games on it. All of these systems have very different controllers. So think about what kind of device is going to allow you play all of these games? It's pretty interesting."

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Linds
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2005, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by ort888
"Well, think about what we've told you so far about the revolution. That you will be able to play NES, SNES, N64, Revolution and GameCube games on it. All of these systems have very different controllers. So think about what kind of device is going to allow you play all of these games? It's pretty interesting."
I think the only real answer to this is an lcd/touch screen controller in the vein of the DS touch screen. Clearly, this is no coincidence. Not only could they implement a varying number of buttons beneath your fingers, this could also allow on controller menu's, trackpad implementations for system navigation and games. Only problem with such a scheme is the price of a controller.

Regardless, the Revolution will be the cheapest console by far, and the ability to take that tiny console over to a friends place with a few wireless controllers and whip him in classics like Street Fighter II Turbo, followed by F-Zero GC then some amazing Revolution games all on the cheapest console around is just fantastic.

I really don't think gamers should worry about CPU/GPU specs, Nintendo won't let the Revolution be underpowered to do what next gen games need. Further, since the 360 is coming out this year and featuring 'limited backwards compatibility' for a select few popular titles, I think they're kicking all the people that bought the original Xbox in the head with steel caps of arrogance - and only the die-hard XBox fans will embrace it. I predict alot of XBox sequels going there.

As a Nintendo fan, and a person that spent a fond part of his childhood playing the SNES and N64, what Nintendo has released has made me extremely happy.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2005, 02:41 AM

Wow, that never really occurred to me, an LCD touch-screen built in to the actual controller. Thinking about it now, that actually opens up a developer to making any buttons or controls they want. Oooooooh. Neat idea. If that's the case, I'm sure the standard stuff would be in place—analog, buttons, etc. But would the screen be color? How big? It better be able to take some damage, too. Hmmmmm. The whining about that is going to be great if this turns out to be true.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 04:05 AM

An LCD screen on a controller is not terribly revolutionary. A traditional controller with a screen added onto it is cumbersome, and a controller made up of only an LCD screen is unusable.

I do not have any clue as to what the controller might be like, but I think it's safe to assume that if there really is a revolutionary new design, it is not because a screen has been tacked on to the controller. Also, it is fair to say that the controller won't be gyroscopic either, since I have such a mouse and it is tedious to use for more than a minute or so. Perhaps it will be something stunningly simple and brilliant, like the clickwheel. We can but hope.

Link
Professional Poster
May 22, 2005, 04:11 AM

I dunno how many of you have seen this, but it's pretty cool:
Aloha

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 10:11 AM

Ive been thinking and pondering about this revolution thing a LOT. (good way to procrastinate from finishing my research paper ). But as an aspiring game developer..... this just occured to me.....

1. 'Virtual console' ....capable of playing anything from 8-bit NES to 2 or 3XGameCube power games. (NES, SNES, N64, GC, NRS)

2. All content is downloadable via a free service (games could cost you depending on the developer)...ala iTMS...except it's for games (imagine being able to download game music for $1...wouldnt that be sweet .)

3. So...if i wanted to develop a game at a particular level of development complexity ranging from NES to NRS, i could using their dev kits, and ask Nintendo to host the game. So like if i get a group of student together to design a game, and we cant really afford to do something at the NRS production value level, but can at the N64 level....we make the game, host it on the Nintendo online game store.....and well...hope it sells. obviously uniqueness is key...and more of the same wont guarantee sales. But couple that with the free online gaming service....imagine the possibilities for developers at all levels !! it's pretty darn cool if thats what they are trying to do.

4. Also....how awesome wold it be to be able to download demos of any games, old/new/unreleased, and play through them...great advertizing for games if u ask me. It would be a perfect analogy of PC-games, except for consoles (especially in the online arena).

Hmm....at the very least, this whole thing about the NRS has really brought out a lot of ideas and theories people want to see in gaming consoles and the online services. hopefully the big 3 are listening, and working to make it a reality.

Cheers.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2005, 12:06 PM

(imagine being able to download game music for $1...wouldnt that be sweet .)
Yes, imagine.

im_noahselby
Senior User
May 22, 2005, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Link
I dunno how many of you have seen this, but it's pretty cool:
I think the puke green and fuschia colours are pretty bad choices for Nintendo. I've also never really been a fan of their GameCube variety of colours - black and silver were the only decent choices of the bunch. I kind of miss the N64 days when Nintendo offered cool translucent colours. I still have my jungle green DK N64!

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Link
Professional Poster
May 22, 2005, 08:39 PM

Yeah it'd be neat if they did a translucent one with that lighting! But that's okay, I think the silver one will sell a lot

I'll buy a gold one witha triforce on the side
Aloha

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2005, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by starman
What kind of analogy are you trying to draw with the graphics/audio statement? It's a poor analogy because in both cases, there's no interactivity. Want superior graphics AND superior audio AND interactivity? Get an Xbox because it does HDTV and Dolby Digital 5.1.

Visuals and sound make better games? Then let's all dump our next gen consoles and play Yar's Revenge on the Atari 2600

Mike
There's a reason this is my current most common GBA game.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by warallthetime
*snip*
Excellent post!

Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2005, 11:59 AM

"MCV UK reports that the Nintendo Revolution probably won’t hit Europe until 2007. According to a Nintendo executive who was not named, Nintendo is “currently looking at mirroring the DS strategy, so Revolution would release in the US first in November, closely followed by Japan. Then we’re looking at March 2007 for PAL territories.”
No matter what Nintendo says about “refusing to be drawn into” the pissing match between Sony and Microsoft, they’re certainly going to be in third place when it comes to installed base in the spring of 2007. Microsoft will have a full year of sales lead on them, and Sony should have a good three to six months, depending on the timing of that launch.
Will Nintendo fans get impatient and plunk down for one of the rival systems rather than wait? That’s certainly a risk the company’s taking. "

http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=247

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

meelk
Baninated
May 27, 2005, 07:38 PM

"MCV UK reports that the Nintendo Revolution probably won’t hit Europe until 2007. According to a Nintendo executive who was not named, Nintendo is “currently looking at mirroring the DS strategy, so Revolution would release in the US first in November, closely followed by Japan. Then we’re looking at March 2007 for PAL territories.”
No matter what Nintendo says about “refusing to be drawn into” the pissing match between Sony and Microsoft, they’re certainly going to be in third place when it comes to installed base in the spring of 2007. Microsoft will have a full year of sales lead on them, and Sony should have a good three to six months, depending on the timing of that launch.
Will Nintendo fans get impatient and plunk down for one of the rival systems rather than wait? That’s certainly a risk the company’s taking. "

http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=247
Japs wont buy the xbox 360. And honestly I think a lot of americans and euros will wait with the promise of how much more powerful the ps3 is.

Link
Professional Poster
May 27, 2005, 07:45 PM

At least Nintendo serves one of their biggest markets with priority instead of making fun of it, delaying, and pulling "CAN'T HAVE THIS SUPERIOR JAPANESE EQUIPMENT HAHAH!!!" crap that sony does.

Man I f*cking hate that company.
Aloha

Forum Links
Forum Rules