Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Gigabit G4 Network

Gigabit G4 Network
THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2005, 02:00 PM

I have the above... (400mhz model) and the ethernet doesn't seem to work... However it shows up in apple system profiler, it shows this when I type ifconfig en0 into terminal:
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULT ICAST> mtu 1500
ether 00:30:65:7c:28:3a
media: autoselect (none) status: inactive
supported media: none autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control,hw-loopback>
But, when I plug a cable into it, I get nothing on the router... I know the cable and router are fine as I plugged the same cord on the same port into my iMac and it was surfing fine... I tried to install a third party card... It gets the lights and all, shows up on the router, but doesn't show up in the network CP. Luckily I have a third party airport card in there that works fine... I tried swapping PCI slots and resetting the motherboard and even pulling out the pram battery for about 10 mins.

So, is my onboard dead? And if it is, why does it show up in ASP and the Network CP and ifconfig en0? Am I just boned for hardwired networking now?

Thanks in advance.

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

digital_dreamer
May 27, 2005, 08:08 PM

So, are you saying your Mac doesn't connect to your router via DHCP? Is that how it's set up?
Does it show up with a junk IP?

How are you determining it is not connecting? Can you connect to your router's web configuration page? (Usually 192.168.1.1)
What other devices do you have on the network that you can test/ping/etc.?

We need more specifics!

regards,
MAJ

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2005, 11:37 PM

no... no ip or anything fills in IN network CP when I select it... If I take out that cord and plug it into the side of my iMac, it immediately gets an IP and can go...

I've looked inside and nothing seems loose... don't know why it wont work... or recognize the card...yeesh...

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2005, 05:25 PM

anyone?

digital_dreamer
May 28, 2005, 07:43 PM

Try selecting the options in the Network CP manually and force it to a different configuration.
Show "Built-in Ethernet"
Select "Ethernet" tab
Configure "Manually (Advanced)"

Then try:
Speed "100baseTX" or "10baseT/UTP"
Just as an example.

Change Duplex, if nothing goes.

My G5 at work wouldn't connect to our Gigabit switch until I manually switched it to 100base.

regards,
MAJ

BTW, what kind of router is this?

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2005, 05:37 AM

It's a wireless belkin off the cable modem... got a long cable connecting it to an AsantĂȘ router that I have configured as a hub... runs my iMac fine... of any unused port...

Forum Links
Forum Rules