Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Help! Switcher needs to open MS Works 6.0 files.

Help! Switcher needs to open MS Works 6.0 files.
jrome
Jul 18, 2005, 10:00 AM

Help! Mom just switched, needs to read MS Works .wps files. She has many, many files, some in Word format (which Office V.X reads fine), some in .wps format, which it doesn't read at all. Is there a Mac-based translator she can use to open the files in either Word or Apple Works? Alternatively, is there a Windows-based program that can do batch conversion?

Thanks for the hints. I'll definitely give the converter a shot, that might solve the problem up front so I can do it once and forget about it. But the MacLinkPlus seems like a good idea, too. Here's a sample file.

I think the full installation of Word v.X comes with a Works 6.0 converter, but the copy I have with me doesn't have that. I'd retrieve it from home, but my computer is sleeping and I have no way to wake it. If anyone has access to a v.X, could you check inside the folder: Applications->Microsoft Office X->Shared Applications->Text Converters, and let me know what's there? If there is anything that looks like an MS Works converter, you could even email it to, jakerome at Y! .com. Thanks. I need to see if this works before buying a full copy. I uploaded a sample file, maybe some can test it and report if it opens with Office X or other programs. Thanks a bunch.

Please, please help me if you can. I'm only here another 6 hours, and if I don't get it set-up, it's going to be a disaster. Eternally grateful for any and all help.
Sign the petition to add the Jacknote to Macworld Boston!

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2005, 11:29 AM

There are freeware programs that might do what you need. Have you tried NeoOffice or Abiword? Here are some links:

http://www.neooffice.org/

http://www.abisource.com/

I would try your sample file but I don't have access to my Mac here at work.

jrome  (op)
Jul 18, 2005, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the advice, but that's not really an option for my Mom. Besides the fact that I have no idea if these applications will open the documents, I have no experience using either program and will not be able to give her any support. If you'd like to help my Mom out with them directly, I'll give her your number.

-Q-
Jul 18, 2005, 04:04 PM

The only text converters available there are:
  • Appleworks
    Microsoft Excel 2.x-11
    Recover Text Converter
    Word 97-2004 Import
The being said, I could open your test file using the 'Recover text from any document' option and the information was there, but the doc had no formatting at all.

MacLinkPlus may be an option for you, but it's $80.

And not sure if this MS technote will work for you or not: Convert Works to Word 2000.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2005, 04:08 PM

To my knowledge, nothing will open Works files but Works.

StarCross
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2005, 06:20 PM

If possible, one can reopen the .wps files in the original application (Microsoft Works) and saving them as .rtf files, which is readable in many other word processing applications. I feel that would be a way to go.

jrome  (op)
Jul 19, 2005, 02:44 PM

I've now confirmed that MacLinkPlus doesn't work, now I gotta send in the form to get my $80 back. I was surprised by the application-- I remember it being very transparent, easy to use, translates everything and being resonably priced. Now it's clumsy to use with no automatic conversion, is missing key filters and is way expensive. $80 is not far off from the price for VirtualPC, which does a lot, lot more.

Forum Links
Forum Rules