Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > ap express / airtunes audio output

ap express / airtunes audio output
prolix
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2005, 05:57 PM

i've been looking at the airport express b/c i like that i can run my itunes output through it into a reciever.

what is the quality like on it? decent sound-wise?

also is it ONLY the itunes audio that outputs? or could i output all audio to it?

basically i want to ditch my speakers and just use my stereo, but i'm not sure if the audio output on the airport express is itunes only or if i can put all the audio out through it?

thanks!

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2005, 10:05 PM

The sound quality is excellent to my ears. You will need an inexpensive program called Airfoil to be able to send all audio to the APE; otherwise you are stuck with iTunes.

prolix  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2005, 11:35 PM

excellent airfoil does exactly what i want

thanks!

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2005, 12:41 PM

Keep in mind there is a several second delay in streaming the audio. So Airfoil streaming audio from DVD Player would result in nasty Video/Audio sync. Perhaps not the best solution if that's what you had in mind...

prolix  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2005, 02:01 PM

yeah, after some reading i realized that. i'll have to re-think my big plans. i was wanting to just get rid of my speakers on the desk and use a reciever + speakers. maybe that won't work as well as i had hoped. i might still do it for music though

Forum Links
Forum Rules