Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Hardrive noise

Hardrive noise
Catalyst236
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2002, 12:34 AM

Hi everyone,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place, since the question concerns a Ruby 450 DV+ . Since the new Imacs are out, it might belong in the "old" category now but anyways here goes. The machine has a 20 gig hardrive and it's less than a year old. Over the past 2 months, the hardrive has started making a lot of noise. It's like a typical hardrive "whirring" sound ,medium pitched, but way louder than normal. Everything seems to function well, but it's starting to really annoy me.

Is this normal, or should I be concerned?
Is there any fix or anyone else having the same experience?

(sometimes after a long session, my ears are ringing when I go to bed)

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
"I need a space with blue skies, that I can see the sun every day, alright....that I have nice weather....that I can just have nice water, you know....to dive, to swimming. It means a tropical country, not an island....a cold one. It's easy, any part of the world, but hot. Name it and I go."- The Lion

limitlesslaughter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2002, 08:49 PM

I actually have the same computer. I replaced my hard drive with a maxtor 60 gig, and like 2 months after installing it, i got the same noise problem i had with the old drive. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the way the iMac is designed. I went to the Apple Store in the mall of america the other day and asked them about this problem too, and the dude said he has heard nothing about it. If anyone has an answer to what this may be,

please post!
thank you.
A little bit of knowledge will destroy you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules