Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > eMac will never be sold to mainstream consumers.(But should it?)

eMac will never be sold to mainstream consumers.(But should it?)
Macintosh
Banned
Apr 29, 2002, 05:54 PM

Stop being so naive! The eMac is and only is available for the education market because if it were not then how many low or even mid range iMacs would Apple sell? If I personally were to buy a computer with $1500 of my money why on earth would you buy the DVD-CD-RW LCD iMac when for hundreds less you could have the same, some would argue better computer in the eMac. I actually feel a tiny bit ripped off in my purchase of the Superdrive iMac in terms of value. I spent a haor less than 2k on it and for about half that price IF I could buy an eMac I would get a larger screen, the only thing I would lose would be 100 MHz and a Superdrive? Are those 2 tings worth that much money?

At least schools, educaters, and faculty can get good deals now. Apple just secured themselves a few more good quarters in a row that should also see significant educaton market share growth.

The eMac is the ultimate education computer.....but why no medem on the low end one?

[ 04-29-2002: Message edited by: Macintosh ]

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2002, 06:01 PM

Yeah, i agree. It probably will stay education only, like the old all in one beige G3 (the one with the bumpy top like a Ferengi's head).

No modem on the low end? Probably because schools will access internet through the school network. As I see it, this low end one isn't available to individual student purchases anyway, so a student buying one would get a modem model.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 06:04 PM

Dude, duh. The e is for education.

Anyway, school labs have no reason to have modems in their computers. Neither do students with data ports in their rooms. Why include an unneccessary $30 component (or whatever the 56K modem costs Apple) in a low-cost computer?
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Tigerabbit
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 06:05 PM

The low-end eMac has no modem because it isn't necessary in the education environment.

In the classroom, the eMacs are networked either by Airport or by Ethernet. In university housing, most dormitory rooms are Ethernet-wired.

Granted, only a few bucks were saved by leaving out the modem, but when you're trying to hit a $999 price-point, every few dollars count.
If you put a bullseye on yourself, don't be surprised when someone takes a shot at you.

Macintosh  (op)
Banned
Apr 29, 2002, 06:06 PM

:::BACKING UP AND RE-THINKING A BIT:::....Apple has now expanded their product to Powermac, Powerbook, iMac, eMac, iBook,iPod, and original iMac.

That is 6 different computer excluding the iPod. My point is this, Apple better know what they are doing because it was the outrageous number of products and confusingly similar specs of the machines thay they sold 5 years ago, when they were on the verge.

I think they have to EXECUTE the original iMac and DEMOLISH the low end iMac and sell the low end eMac in its place. This move would free up LCD's for the top two models while making a true consumer computer available on the low end and for education....I dont see why not.

Powermac 800, 933, Dual 1 Ghz

Powerbook 667, 800

iMac 800, 700 Combo, eMac 700 low end.

eMac CD-Rom and Combo sell to education.

[ 04-29-2002: Message edited by: Macintosh ]

surfacto
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2002, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by Macintosh:
<STRONG>I think they have to EXECUTE the original iMac and DEMOLISH the low end iMac and sell the low end eMac in its place. This move would free up LCD's for the top two models while making a true consumer computer available on the low end and for education....I dont see why not.

Powermac 800, 933, Dual 1 Ghz

Powerbook 667, 800

iMac 800, 700 Combo, eMac 700 low end.

eMac CD-Rom and Combo sell to education.

[ 04-29-2002: Message edited by: Macintosh ]</STRONG>
The original iMac has already been executed, they're just clearing out the warehouse.

If they do start selling the eMac to the general public, they better stick a 17" monitor on the high end iMac or nobody will by them, even if the eMacs are butt ugly.

I personally don't see how they could make a profit selling the eMac machine to the general public for it's current price, considering the hit the iMac will take.

Northform
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2002, 06:22 PM

<STRONG>Stop being so naive! The eMac is and only is available for the education market because if it were not then how many low or even mid range iMacs would Apple sell? If I personally were to buy a computer with $1500 of my money why on earth would you buy the DVD-CD-RW LCD iMac when for hundreds less you could have the same, some would argue better computer in the eMac. I actually feel a tiny bit ripped off in my purchase of the Superdrive iMac in terms of value. I spent a haor less than 2k on it and for about half that price IF I could buy an eMac I would get a larger screen, the only thing I would lose would be 100 MHz and a Superdrive? Are those 2 tings worth that much money?

At least schools, educaters, and faculty can get good deals now. Apple just secured themselves a few more good quarters in a row that should also see significant educaton market share growth.

The eMac is the ultimate education computer.....but why no medem on the low end one?

The low end eMac comes with a CD-ROM not a Combo Drive like you sugest. It does cost 999, but that is for schools only.

To make a better comparison we should use the mid-range eMac which is available to students at 1249 and comes with a Combo Drive. The only differences between this and the low end iMac is the Combo vs. CD-RW, monitor, and the price. When you factor in the fact that students get a discount of $50-100 that would raise the street price to $1299-1349 (50-100 cheaper than the equiv. iMac).

Pro: Cheaper, larger screen, combo drive.
Con: more than twice the weight, bulkier, resale value?

The fact is that you didn't get riped off. The computer is not nearly as cheap as you think it is and LCDs cost a lot more. You may not like LCDs better, but they do cost more. Apple may bring this to mass market once the educational buying season is over (in order to insure supply to schools).

Macintosh  (op)
Banned
Apr 29, 2002, 06:26 PM

It looks like that door might be lockable, judging by the small holes on either end of the oblong shape. An admin would be upgrading the RAM, instaling Airport and any new software and would thus have the key to open it. Almost a true network appliance in a sense. No junk software put on the machines, no making copies of software to CDs, and no PB&J sandwiches crammed in there either. Depends on the grade level and student priveledge/trust. Pretty smart if they did that. Although this may be a rejected version of the new iMac, they did some tailoring for the school crowd (and hopefully at some point, for kiosks too).

On the picture, it looks as if there may be a metal lock that swings up and covers the slot. Look closely under the card.

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bring it to the public after the buying season to insure supply
------------------------------------------------------------------------
You sure? I really don't think they want consumers to get their hands on this thing. Remember when SJ pronounced the death of CRTs? I think (long range) they would rather drop the prices of the LCD iMac than sell the

Footy
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 06:34 PM

Surely a 17 inch LCD can't be far behind for the iMac. That would be a big sale point.

lloyd

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2002, 06:40 PM

People - a 15" LCD is the same viewable size as a 17" CRT. The eMac's screen is not bigger. And the LCD takes up less space, is more flexible, and is easier on the eyes. Plus, the iMac is faster, and has a bigger hard drive and the option of the SuperDrive. If the eMac and iMac were the same price, I think you'd be insane to choose the eMac over it. In reality, the one reason to get the eMac is: it's cheaper. If you're in an educational setting, you just want a bunch of cheap machines, and you don't care about LCD, SuperDrive, etc. then you want the eMac. If you're getting a personal machine for yourself, the iMac is miles better.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

surfacto
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2002, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
<STRONG>People - a 15" LCD is the same viewable size as a 17" CRT.</STRONG>

Are you serious? That makes no sense. Why the hell don't they call it a 15" CRT then? What gives?

sdchef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2002, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by surfacto:
<STRONG>

Are you serious? That makes no sense. Why the hell don't they call it a 15" CRT then? What gives?</STRONG>
It's been that way for years. haven't you ever seen the disclaimer on ANY CRT ad ?
17" monitor(15.3" viewable)

That was what Apple got sued for in the early-mid 90's.
fatmac->macplus->P550->280c->PM7250->Yosemite->iMac800-> Intel iMac 2gig

Nicko
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2002, 07:18 PM

Ah, but you have to remember that the Emac will look alot better at different resolutions than the lcd imac. This thing kinda reminds me of the g3-all-in-one (which was also only for educational use) The university I go to has a whole lab full of them...they sure are big though

ericdelangen
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2002, 07:47 PM

to clarify... a 15" lcd is referred to as being the same size as a 17" crt in that they usually run at the same viewing resolution... generally 1024 x 768. taking this into account you get the same image with either monitor.

looking at the eMac's specs though... you should be able to run it at at least 1152 x 864 at 80 Hz comfortably. I'm sure this irks some new iMac owners who can't go past 1024.

There are so many people who are some way affiliated with a school somehow though. It shouldn't be too much of a problem for a lot of the people I know to get a hold of an eMac if they really wanted to.

Matsu
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 08:07 PM

I continue to be surprised by how many people do not know that a 17" CRT does not have a 17" VIS (viewable image size) Most manufacturers now claim 16" VIS for a 17" CRT but that is a little optimistic. Good focus, convergence, and geometry out to the edges will demand you back away slightly from even the stated VIS. You really won't get more than an honest 15.5 (15.75 on a very good tube) for any 17" CRT.

[ 04-29-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2002, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by sdchef:
<STRONG>

It's been that way for years. haven't you ever seen the disclaimer on ANY CRT ad ?
17" monitor(15.3" viewable)

That was what Apple got sued for in the early-mid 90's.</STRONG>
Sdchef, while it's understood what you're saying....you need to check the specs: http://www.apple.com/education/emac/specs.html

it's a 16.0" viewable CRT, which is larger than the 15" viewable area of the iMac.

Before you guys start slamming me talking about how 1" isn't going to make a difference, it does. Look at a notebook with a 14.1" screen, then look at one with at 15"...world of difference![/LIST]

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2002, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by iKevin:
<STRONG>

Sdchef, while it's understood what you're saying....you need to check the specs: http://www.apple.com/education/emac/specs.html

it's a 16.0" viewable CRT, which is larger than the 15" viewable area of the iMac.

Before you guys start slamming me talking about how 1" isn't going to make a difference, it does. Look at a notebook with a 14.1" screen, then look at one with at 15"...world of difference![/LIST]</STRONG>
I suspect that the 16.0" viewable spec is the result of dishonestly rounding up, sort of like the way you can sometimes find 1.44 MB floppy disks labeled as 2 MB disks. 17" CRT monitors just don't have a 16.0" viewable size; sorry. They're usually closer to 15.1", whereas with LCD's it's WYSIWYG - 15" means 15" viewable, no hassles, no games. With CRT's, the extra 2 inches only go toward making the thing bulkier and clumsier so it can eat more space on your desk.

As for running 1152 x 864 - I would think that would make everything rather small and difficult to read on a 17" CRT monitor. It's kind of like running 1024x768 on a 15" CRT - you can with some monitors, but would you want to?

I've got a 15" LCD, and my roommate's got a 17" CRT, and I wouldn't trade monitors with him for the world.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2002, 04:21 AM

<STRONG>The eMac is the ultimate education computer.....but why no medem on the low end one?

Because most schools network their computers via ethernet, so there is no need for a modem. Think about how much of a waste it is for a school to buy 500 computers with built-in modems, only to network them via ethernet.

Damn some people here are very talented at typing without thinking!
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

maffioso
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2002, 04:29 AM

I had a look at the Apple education site and it was priced at $1399, but some people are claiming it was $999, is this for actual schools?

I think this is a step in the right direction, Apple is specifying their market and developing there products so they are specific to the markets.

Good work Apple!!
CHRIS SMITH

kovacs
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2002, 10:19 AM

I think Apple is going to make a new 17 inch iMac, the iMac G3 is terribly underpowered and looks outdated, it just a matter of time..

doppler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2002, 12:37 PM

There is really minimal difference between the CRT and LCD versions of these computers, aside from the slightly higher resolution of the CRT. If you're irked about spending 1900 bucks on an imac because you think you could get an eMac of a grand just relax. Comparing similarly speced iMacs and eMac the difference is around a hundred dollars and there is no possibliity of getting an eMac with a superdrive (at least not yet). Here's the rundown (these prices are from the ed. store for comparison):

$999 eMac: no modem and cdrom only
$1249 eMac: combo drive but only 128 ram
$1516 emac: combo and 512 ram

As you can see the price quickly rises into the LCD iMac range in a real apples to apples comparison.

On a personal opinion note: I think that this was the origional replacement to the G3 iMac, but Steve didn't like the evolutionary, not revolutionary nature of the design. The dicision to produce the eMac was likly in response to what educators demanded. Imagine that Apple actually responding to consumers! Just Kidding.

The Dop

Forum Links
Forum Rules