Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > PowerBook seeing any networks (wireless)

PowerBook seeing any networks (wireless)
Scott Mackey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2006, 04:37 PM

So I have a TiBook which I bought a Belkin PCMCIA wireless card for. Because I initially couldn't get the card to work I took it the Apple store where the genious got my Mac to recognize the card and connect to the Apple store's network & internet connection. Great.

I get home and now I've got nothing. The TiBook gives me this icon:

My desktop Mac recognizes not only my network but the networks of several of my neighbors'. What gives?

Macola
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2006, 04:46 PM

Try changing the "By default, join" selection to "A specific network", type in the SSID of your network, the WEP or WPA key as applicable, and you should be set.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Scott Mackey  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2006, 04:52 PM

I did as you said, no change.

Question: This wireless card I have is an 802.11g while my basestation and eMac are using 802.11b My understanding was that g is backwards compatible. Am I wrong?

Scott Mackey  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2006, 07:23 PM

Well I'm not sure what the issue was, or what that AirPort icon meant (above) but after a reset and running an Apple Update I seem to be right with the gods once again. Let's hope this new finicky bit of integrated electronics isn't going to hassle me everytime I open the p-book up. Thanks for the reply. Heh, I seemed to start, fill, and end my own thread effectively doubling my total post count for the past four years. There's a first.

Macola
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2006, 02:40 PM

Glad it worked. I still have random issues on a 12" PowerBook where it will periodically not find my wireless network (even with SSID broadcasting turned on). Others have reported this as well, but hopefully that's not your issue.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Forum Links
Forum Rules