Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > "hyper-linking" within and between various apps and docs?

"hyper-linking" within and between various apps and docs?
kent m
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2006, 10:20 AM

Hello,

I haven't been following the discussions but wanted to post a quick question about a possibility...

A valuable feature for me in any OS would be the ability to create 'links' between various files, from within those files. By this I mean that, as an example, in iCal I could create a link to an email message, or a photo image, or whatever. Sort of an 'inter-documental system-wide selective hyper-linking'. :-)

Has anything like ever been discussed or is it in the works? I'm sure it has... ...

Thanks,
Kent M

kent m is not a member of any public groups

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2006, 10:29 AM

( Last edited by TETENAL; Apr 19, 2006 at 10:38 AM. )

kent m  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2006, 10:45 AM

Maybe. Is that the object (pardon the play on words) of openDoc? I'm a designer, not a programmer so I usually don't really understand the codified wording of the taglines that advertise and describe these projects. But I assume that this app will let developers do what I was asking about, since you've pointed it out directly. Thanks for the link.

Is anyone pursuing this kind of option for their apps? Do people generally think it would be a useful feature, or just confusing? It's all in how is implemented of course, but...?

K

kent m is not a member of any public groups

jyunderwood
Apr 19, 2006, 01:13 PM

Well app kind of already do this. if you have address book load birthdays in to your ical you can see a link to the address book entry under url. the url is meaningless but still it's a link so the means is there its just not user friendly.

http://www.linkbackproject.org/ not quite what you want but it's my understanding that you can paste a chunk from say omnigraffle to nisus writer and close both. when you make changes to the omnigraffle file you copied from the changes are made in nisus writer.

I think both are steps to what you want to do.
fluid like water.

Chris Grande
Senior User
Apr 19, 2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by jyunderwood
http://www.linkbackproject.org/ not quite what you want but it's my understanding that you can paste a chunk from say omnigraffle to nisus writer and close both. when you make changes to the omnigraffle file you copied from the changes are made in nisus writer.

I think both are steps to what you want to do.

NeXTStep had a feature like this called Paste & Link.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2006, 05:29 PM

Mac had Publish and Subscribe.

headbirth
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 07:58 AM

Kind of curious if this is possible from a programming stand point.

A services-based universal document bookmarking system...

Something that would allow the user to place a bookmark (maybe even a notation) at a point in any document in any app with a simple keystroke.

Then later bring up a list with a keystroke, select a bookmark and have the document open and be taken to where the bookmark was placed.

Basically a Services Wiki I guess.

Possible?

chessplayer
Apr 20, 2006, 07:19 PM

Excellent idea, I would really like such a feature.

headbirth
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2006, 07:35 PM

Anyone familar with RTF links? Is it possible to place a link that acts like an html anchor so you can jump to a point in the doc?

Forum Links
Forum Rules