Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Realplayer to mp3?

Realplayer to mp3?
vutenor
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2001, 10:41 PM

Hi all. I listen to a 30 minute radio program on realplayer every day and was wondering if there was a program that could take that daily show and turn it into an mp3 file or something similar that I could replay on my computer without accessing the internet and going through realplayer. Thanks for any help.

chris5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2001, 02:45 PM

Check out MacAmp 2.0 by Subband (http://www.subband.com)

The registered version allows for saving RealAudio to AIFF. From there you can either burns the AIFFs directly (recommended) or convert to mp3 using another program.

grobbins
Mar 23, 2001, 07:53 PM

The Plus version of RealPlayer 8 does allow audio streams to be saved to disk as rm files (if the stream provider allows recording). The rm files can be played later with RealPlayer.

vutenor  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2001, 01:03 PM

Ok. Thanks for the help. I'd like to burn the broadcasts to CD, so I downloaded Macamp. The problem is, when I click on the link to play the day's broadcast, it automatically plays through realplayer. Anyone who has macamp know how to get it to play through macamp?
I tried "open url" and "open file" and nothing happened.

chris5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2001, 03:24 AM

I haven't personally proformed this. But I believe the way that it can be done is first you have to record the stream using a version of RealPlayer Plus that has the record function (a registered version gives you the option of recording). After the recording is done you can convert the .rm format to .AIFF format. Then from there you can compress it to .mp3 and do w/ as pleased.

jad275
Mar 30, 2001, 02:56 AM

all of the above methods are contingent upon the developer setting a file flag in the streaming file that allows RealPlayer Plus to record it to disk. Since content distributors/developers these days are so paranoid about protecting their content, almost none of them ever set this flag, making the 'feature' in RealPlayer Plus moot, and putting you out of luck in terms of recording a RealAudio/Video broadcast.
Sorry.

The only way to do it would be to actually record your Mac's own sound out with a mic or something....I think I'm right on this but someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

skg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2001, 02:41 PM

It's funny. I see this topic come back each few weeks. And there are always the responses that say 'Yeah just use MacAmp or a registered copy of RealAudio to record streaming files.' But, as jad275 mentioned, it is not possible to record most streams because most distributors don't allow it. (I'd like to know how many people are actually successful recording streams this way.)

I thought about this internal sound recording with a mic for awhile and almost bought an imic for it. Then, I realized that you would be converting digital to analog back to digital and loose considerable quality.

But now, after much research, I've got a way to do it. There are a couple of streaming audio recording software appz available out there ... for PC only. I've got a Mac, so I've been running VirtualPC to record the streams using something called StreamBox VCR. It will capture any Real streams to your hard disk. From there, I have to use another app. called Ra2Wav to convert the captured .ra file to .wav. Then, I convert the .wav file to .aiff using SoundEdit16. Voila, just open .aiff in iTunes and burn to disk!

This is long and tedious, but it works. Maybe there is another way to do it. Someone let me know. At least for now, though, this is a sure way to capture and record any audio stream you desire.

Check out this previous discussion : http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum9/HTML/000949.html

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2001, 12:26 PM

skg is right. There is no simple way.

MacAmp will record mp3/Shoutcast streams. There are alot of internet radio staions that use this format so it's pretty handy. It will not record RA. It has a beta plug-in that'll play RA but not record.

For RealAudio, skg's solution is the only I've found that maintained the digital integrity. You have to use something like Streambox (which is somewhat supported by a nice little hacker community) to stay digital.

As stated above, most RA broadcasters are too paranoid to allow their content to be copied. Like I'm going to go around selling NPR broadcasts! What a joke.

Anyway, if there are other solutions I'd like to hear'em.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

ajmas
Mar 31, 2001, 11:39 PM

There is always a solution, though isn't as elegant as you want it to be. If the issue is streaming audio, then it should simply be a matter of plugging the Mac's audio output into int audio in and then getting a recording program to record the incoming audio. I have never tried this, so it is theory waiting to be tested.

jad275
Apr 1, 2001, 05:42 AM

skg's method is interesting, I'll give it a try next time I need to record a Real Audio stream.

But does anyone have any ideas/solutions for recording RealVIDEO streams??? (this could apply to any sreaming video I guess, Real, Quicktime, Windows Media)

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2001, 08:38 PM

yes, i want to know how to record RTSP streams

------------------
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

ValVashon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2001, 02:30 PM

Ajmas' method works. I tried it with Real Audio playing a stream; I then used the short cord that came with the iProRaid TV card (stereo mini to stereo mini) and hooked the sound out to the sound in. To be able to listen, I put a splitter in the line and hooked my headphones in, too. I then recorded the incoming audio with Felt Tip Sound Studio (it records in AIFF). I recorded about a three minute segment as a test, and it worked great. Now if only iTunes would make MP3's out of incoming audio! I guess this feature existed in SoundJam, but didn't make it into iTunes.

You might try a Radio Shack #42-2496 (two stereo 1/8 plugs to a stereo 1/8 jack) to accomplish this; it might get the job done without a splitter.

Val

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2001, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by ajmas:
There is always a solution, though isn't as elegant as you want it to be. If the issue is streaming audio, then it should simply be a matter of plugging the Mac's audio output into int audio in and then getting a recording program to record the incoming audio. I have never tried this, so it is theory waiting to be tested.
This system works but be aware that you're converting a digital signal to analog and back again. There has to be some loss of quality as well as having to maintain a input level that won't be distorted.

If this system is all you're looking for (quality-wise) then that's great and you have your solution.

Most of us are looking to keep the signal all-digital.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2001, 10:55 PM

I just found a system extension called "AIFF writer" that'll capture any sound going thru your sytem and turn it into an AIFF file. From there it's easy to turn into a mp3 file.

caifara
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2001, 08:01 AM

vmpaul,
where did you find aiff-writer?
is it freeware?

-c
-c

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2001, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by caifara:
vmpaul,
where did you find aiff-writer?
is it freeware?

-c
Yep its freeware. I found it on some Mac newsgroups. Try alt.binaries.mac

If you can't find it or don't have access to newsgroups e-mail me and I'll send it to you. It's a small file.

Forum Links
Forum Rules