Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Extremely slow boot. Black screen with LED lit.

Extremely slow boot. Black screen with LED lit.
wfalconer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2007, 10:32 PM

I am a new mac user. I have built PC's for nearly a decade and I am currently studying computer science. I decided to switch because I was ready for something new and dependable as far as laptops go. So far I have had nothing but trouble. Here's the issue I have worked for the last 3 weeks to resolve, I don't know if this is the norm or just a quarky issue I am experiencing.

I cannot get a stable boot. It usually takes the macbook between 2 and 5 minutes to boot up. When I press the power button the white LED lights up and I can feel the hard drive spinning, however it takes an inordinant amount of time to boot. I have done all of the firmware updates. Replaced the hard drive reinstalled OSX added memeory (2 gigs). And the problem has persisted. I had the issue with the original hardware, and it has continued with the new hard drive and ram. I have tried Onyx, all of the fixes on the apple forums to no avail. I have noticed that it is worse when I use the machine on the go. Did I get a dud or is this what I should expect out of OS X?

Have any of you guys experience this issue or run across a fix?

Chaoticjoe
Feb 14, 2007, 11:10 PM

I highly doubt this should happen. I would expect it to boot in about 2 minutes or less. If you have upgraded your HD and memory it REALLY shouldn't happen. Maybe it is a dud.
Hey...

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2007, 11:33 PM

it is definitely a dud. take it back to an apple store and they'll do something about it.

wfalconer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2007, 11:56 PM

thanks ill give apple a call tomorrow

Forum Links
Forum Rules