Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook: Cleaning The Screen

Macbook: Cleaning The Screen
mr.dan.watson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2007, 05:27 PM

I currently use q-tips to clean my macbook screen but its such a pain. I was wondering what one would suggest to clean my macbook screen.

ucirsx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2007, 07:16 PM

no offense...but Q-tips? man i can imagine you takin like hours to clean the screen lol. But, yea, try using a microfiber and water or buying the monitor cleaning kit from apple.

mr.dan.watson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2007, 07:24 PM

LOL not really it takes about 5 minutes, Now q-tips on the 24 inch mac screen, ThAT would take hours.

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2007, 08:02 PM

They have these microfiber cloths in stores now. -That is the way to go <$5

My Apple 20" LCD came with one, 20" iMac did not.
( Last edited by badsey; Mar 22, 2007 at 08:02 PM. Reason: xx)

R0CK3TM4NN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 12:32 PM

I use Scotch clear packaging tape. Just cut a long strip, press it evenly on the screen, and it will lift up all the dust and fingerprints that accumulate on the screen with no residue or anything. It sounds stupid, but just try it. Regular clear scotch tape works too but the packaging tape is a lot wider and you can cover a larger area of the screen with one piece. The result is a screen just as clean as the day you first bought it, with no effect on the reflective coating whatsoever.

Euge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 09:05 PM

I use a microfiber cloth from radtech.us:
iPod Accessories, Laptop Cases, Protective Covers and Sleeves for Apple Computer Hardware - RadTech Products

Slightly damp this thing will not just clean the screen, but polish it. And its good for the entire computer as well. It also protects the screen/keys when the laptop is closed.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 24, 2007, 09:59 PM

High quality paper towel (it has far less lint) and filtered water to dampen it. I use that on my MBP and on my wife's iBook screen. And every other LCD I own too. Inexpensive, can't hurt anything, and easy to obtain and use. The key is really good paper towel, because it needs to be slightly rough, but not so rough that it can scratch anything. Paper towel is absorbent enough to hold just the right amount of water so that whatever needs dissolving off the screen is taken care of, but if you make it properly damp, it can't drip at all. I should note that only one screen in the house, my son's Dell laptop, is glossy.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
High quality paper towel (it has far less lint) and filtered water to dampen it. I use that on my MBP and on my wife's iBook screen. And every other LCD I own too. Inexpensive, can't hurt anything, and easy to obtain and use. The key is really good paper towel, because it needs to be slightly rough, but not so rough that it can scratch anything. Paper towel is absorbent enough to hold just the right amount of water so that whatever needs dissolving off the screen is taken care of, but if you make it properly damp, it can't drip at all. I should note that only one screen in the house, my son's Dell laptop, is glossy.
I just use water and paper towels. No scratches, no smudges, looks gorgeous. That and Mr. Clean Magic Erasers are all I use to keep my (white) MB clean.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

BLogan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2007, 02:37 AM

I use iKlear kit works good.
( Last edited by BLogan; Mar 27, 2007 at 02:54 AM. )

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2007, 08:29 AM

Wow scotch tape q-tips. Stick to the simplest thing. Get a microfiber clth and buy some glasses cleaner. Walmart and Sears sell them for next to dirt cheap but they do a fantastic job. Of course you can go to the Apple Store and pay triple the amount you should pay just because it says "monster" on the package.
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2007, 02:14 PM

I'd pay the extra money for the Monster.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2007, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I should note that only one screen in the house, my son's Dell laptop, is glossy.
That's a shocker...why doesn't he want to use a mac?

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 27, 2007, 08:44 PM

He's in a programming/computer science program that focuses (to some extent) on using Windows. And I got a really great deal on the Dell laptop I got for him, so that worked out pretty well. He says "If I'm going to provide tech support for other people's computers, I should probably get a Mac to be familiar with them." Right! He's thinking of a used iMac in the near future.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2007, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
I'd pay the extra money for the Monster.
Whats the point?
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2007, 11:06 AM

I was joking. I really wouldn't.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

neoapple
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2007, 10:34 AM

This thread reminded that I have fingerprints all over my new macbook. I finally went down to the apple store and bought some iKlear. It sucks to spend $20 on screen cleaner but you get a decent size bottle, two cleaning clothes, and some travel wipes. Most importantly it works great.

Chaoticjoe
Mar 30, 2007, 03:52 PM

Yeah, I would just use a cloth for a pair of glasses or the cloth from my PSP. When I need wetness on the screen, I use a dabbed tissue and dry it with a dry tissue. Simple as that. It doesn't get linty and works fine. Although I don't have an LCD screen, so should probably change my ways when I get one on my MB.
( Last edited by Chaoticjoe; Mar 30, 2007 at 03:53 PM. Reason: typo)
Hey...

MrMacbookMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2007, 02:30 PM

I think a microfiber cloth is the way to go, but be careful not to spray the cleaning spray on the screen, spray it on the cloth instead.
I was able to pay for my new macbook
just by trying out products from home.
The pay is great and it's free to join.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2007, 03:15 PM

I use the cloth I got for my glasses, and spray the eye glass lens cleaner on the cloth and it works great.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

applgeek
Apr 1, 2007, 02:44 AM

windex works just fine.... lcd's are made of glass. Windex and paper towels are what i use at work to clean ~40 screens. Streak free.

Disclaimer:
It's a great idea to turn off the computer before applying any liquids to an LCD, but i never do it personally.
--applgeek
You can email me at [email protected] or aim me at applgeek

I am a proud blogger at freecasts.net!

Joy Of Tech!

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2007, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by applgeek View Post
windex works just fine.... lcd's are made of glass. Windex and paper towels are what i use at work to clean ~40 screens. Streak free.

Disclaimer:
It's a great idea to turn off the computer before applying any liquids to an LCD, but i never do it personally.
dude your sig is freakin huge!
Signature depreciated.

Chaoticjoe
Apr 3, 2007, 11:15 PM

dude your sig is freakin huge!
Not compared to the average forum where people use flash sigs.
Hey...

bradbissell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2007, 10:05 AM

Do not use Windex on your screen. That will remove the coatings on the screen and really mess up your display. Just use a microfiber cloth and distilled water for everyday cleaning.
Macbook C2D 2.0 Ghz w/ 2GB Ram, 5G 30GB iPod

Forum Links
Forum Rules