Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP shutsdown out of the blue

MBP shutsdown out of the blue
headbirth
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 10:07 PM

Has Apple come up with a solution for MBP just shuting off for no reason? Is it hardware or Tiger?

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 11:30 PM

I'm pretty sure it's a hardware failure and you need to speak to Apple about it.
Linkinus is king.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 11:52 PM

The MacBooks were the ones with the original random shutdown problem. But there was a firmware fix for it.

gen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2007, 03:33 PM

My MBP (C2D, 2.16, late 2006) also does random shutdown. It's not predictable. No correlation with how long or how extensively it has been used.

matteo_man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2007, 03:31 PM

i took my mbp in to an Apple Store and the Genius took one look at it and said it was a hardware issue. They replaced a few things and now it works fine with no random shutdowns.

jtrwallace
Jun 18, 2007, 08:59 PM

I just got my macbook pro the new 2.4 and i closed it like normal expecting it to go to sleep last night and then it restarted with the lid closed... i hope this doesnt persist.

gen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2007, 12:04 AM

Mine shutdowns quietly no matter how much battery is charged.

Although mine's serial number is included for battery repair program, it seems working well (charged to 100% and shape is also fine).

frido:mac
Jun 22, 2007, 07:17 AM

My MBP (first-gen) just started sutting down as soon as the power adaptor plug was pulled. When I pressed the on-button, the HD would spin up and the the machine would die again.
Battery showed 100% charge, all LED´s on the battery were green.
I tried another MBP battery, which worked normal, so I called Apple and they are sending me a new battery (even though my MBP is out of warranty)

Bye, Frido.

Thinking Heads
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2007, 08:51 AM

My MBP also shuts down unexpectedly. It always seems like it happens after I plug a firewire in the side of it, to download pics into iphoto.

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2007, 11:04 AM

See this is one the many reasons I'm way to paranoid to buy right now. A 3k machine should have NO problems. Random shut down, no matter how often or non often, is completely unacceptible.

gen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2007, 11:47 AM

Suddenly the battery stopped sharing power charged. Apple replaced the battery. They told me my problem will be fixed. I hope it's true.

Transport 998
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2007, 10:26 PM

Just bought my MacBook Pro 3 days ago and already 2 times in the past 2 days I get a 'you need to shut down your computer' message and it freezes up? WTF is this the same as what you guys are experiencing? Also lots of little buggy things....apps shutting down etc...??? My iBook was more stable even after dropping it on the floor several times? PO'ed

NewsClub
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2007, 01:28 PM

Transport998:

Perhaps it is the issue with Santa-Rosa MBP and Atheros Airport card.
Does the kernel panic log (/Library/Logs/panic.log) contain the string "Airport" or "Atheros"?

If yes, see this thread for more information.
Apple - Support - Discussions - Brand-new Santa Rosa MBP, Kernel Panics ...

You should call AppleCare and describe your problem.
They have already acknowledged that it is a software problem affecting not all but obviously several new MacBook Pros.

Transport 998
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2007, 10:24 PM

Thanks....no log though. Called my mac dealer they said it has to do with transferring my stuff from my old mac with the start up assistant? Apparently have to start from scratch and just transfer files manually? Owell.

Forum Links
Forum Rules