Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Does the new MacBook Pro have a good LCD display for gaming?

Does the new MacBook Pro have a good LCD display for gaming?
m i k e
Jul 4, 2007, 03:24 AM

I have had issues with shadowing (textures blurring) in the past playing games on LCD monitors due to high monitor response times. If someone does know the response time of the new MacBook Pros (15") please let me know but it looks as though they are not published. At this point I would like to know about peoples experiences with gaming on the MacBook Pro in relation to the monitor (I know the system can handle it).

1. Does the MacBook Pro have a good monitor for gaming? How does it compare to a high end LCD or CRT Monitor?

2. Do you experience shadowing or texture blurring (especially in Counter-Strike via BootCamp)?

3. Is there anything else I should know from peoples experiences about playing games on the MacBook Pro? Good or bad.

Thanks for any help. I would like to know about all this before I purchase the computer.

m i k e  (op)
Jul 5, 2007, 04:54 PM

bump.

Anyone?

PEPPERRULES
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2007, 09:15 PM

I think it works well for games, except sometime the glossy screen annoys me when there is background light.

highstakes
Senior User
Jul 18, 2007, 11:23 AM

Glossy screen annoys the hell out of me too, but games look really nice on that type of screen. I have the matte screen and it works just fine for games, but sometimes wish I had the glossy screen

KisforKennedy
Baninated
Jul 18, 2007, 12:29 PM

I think glossy screens are the dumbest thing ever, only pushed so in a few years they can market 'matte' screens again.

TFunkadelic
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2007, 01:03 PM

Yeah, glossy screens look like a pile for anything after you're used to more neutral display. The glossy displays have always reminded me of a visual version of a stereo system that has the bass and treble maxed out.

Rumor
Jul 18, 2007, 01:09 PM

I've been playing NWN on mine. If I don't have the resolution set at 1440 x 900, then it becomes a little blurry. Sadly, that particular game wasn't really designed to play at that resolution, so the GUI doesn't scale properly.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

feethea
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2007, 03:59 AM

I've got the 2.4 version MacBook Pro without the glossy screen (thankfully) and find the screen fine when running Quake 4, CoD 2 - no glitches whatsoever.
I've been a Windows based multiplayer for years and only last week seen the light and gone over to Mac (mainly for photography) - no regrets at all.

Remxed
Aug 7, 2007, 03:11 PM

ok i'm gonna defend the glossy screen here.

i have the 15" 2.4 mbp with the glossy screen and i think the display looks terrific compared with my friend's 15" powerbook with the matte screen. Maybe it's the new LED display as well but the colors are brightness are so much better.

I've had no problems with glare and anything else and I am in a well light room.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2007, 11:45 PM

I don't own one myself but I have played Half-life 2 on my friends and didn't notice any ghosting whatsoever.

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

Forum Links
Forum Rules