Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Acceptable heat levels for a MBP

Acceptable heat levels for a MBP
Rumor
Jul 19, 2007, 11:48 AM

So I have smcFanControl installed and have been told that turning the fans up too much can drastically shorten the life of them. What is an acceptable heat level at idle and at load?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

alainmeyer1
Jul 19, 2007, 01:37 PM

The processors are built to live up to 100c, but that doesn't mean it should be anywhere near that.

I would say running 60-65 with heavy load is acceptable.

Browsing it should be 40-50

Rumor  (op)
Jul 19, 2007, 02:56 PM

Would setting the fans to spin at 4000 RPM be okay or should it be left at the 2000 RMP default?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

alainmeyer1
Jul 19, 2007, 04:04 PM

2000 rpm works perfectly fine. The only thing I use smcFanControl for is to check my current temperature. Because using 4000rpm will probably put down the lifespan of your fan a little. Trust me, 2000rpm is fine

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2007, 04:07 PM

If the noise doesn't bother you go ahead and crank up the fans.

lorenzo
Jul 20, 2007, 04:14 AM

50 under browsing?

Oh my... my 2.2 is now at 65°, with fans at 2k, simply doing light work like typing into word and having firefox open.
Firefox is seen to be sucking 35% of cpu cycles, but still, my Pro feels always very hot; as soon as I play with it, fans kick in at 6k and temperatures remain below 78, but under load I've seen often 82 or 83, albeit only for seconds.
Is my machine doomed?

kenada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2007, 08:07 PM

If you've got apple care, go ahead and turn them up, they can always be replaced.

jtrwallace
Jul 22, 2007, 02:43 AM

alainmeyer.... the new ones will Never run that low at normal browsing. as lorenzo said, thats how mine is too and thats how all the new ones ive encountered run. lorenzo : no you are not doomed. the new ones just run that hot. i have the 2.4 and it idles 58-62 and if i do anything else it goes 65-70 and heavy load to 80
2.4 GHz MacBook Pro | 256 MB VRAM | 3.0 GB RAM | 160 GB 5400 RPM HDD
Airport Extreme Base Station (n) | Airport Express Base Station (g)
Bluetooth Mighty Mouse | (And an iPhone SOON *crosses fingers) GOT THE IPHONE!
iPod Nano Product (RED)

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 22, 2007, 02:51 AM

This kind of sucks because I'm getting the 2.2Ghz model and want to use it like I use my PowerBook - on my lap with temps averaging 48-55C.

jtrwallace
Jul 22, 2007, 03:56 AM

as long as you dont put it on your skin you should be fine. i place mine on my lap with shorts/pants.
2.4 GHz MacBook Pro | 256 MB VRAM | 3.0 GB RAM | 160 GB 5400 RPM HDD
Airport Extreme Base Station (n) | Airport Express Base Station (g)
Bluetooth Mighty Mouse | (And an iPhone SOON *crosses fingers) GOT THE IPHONE!
iPod Nano Product (RED)

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 22, 2007, 06:38 AM

One more question. If someone says their temp monitor says the CPU topside 60C (for example) what is the case temperature about in the 2.2Ghz model? Would it be similar to the 12" PowerBook at 50C that I'm using now and that has less cooling than the 15"?

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2007, 10:28 PM

Ah, according to iStatpro, my MBP left fan is not spinning at all (my ear can confirm that). I went to the Apple Store, where a run of the basic Apple Hardware Test confirmed that there was a problem with the fan. The "genius' took it in the back and came back and told me that computer was passing a more advanced test and that he could therefore not have it sent...
Now I am back home, running a few heavy processing apps : the CPU hovers around 86-89C. I wonder how long it will last...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2007, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
I went to the Apple Store, where a run of the basic Apple Hardware Test confirmed that there was a problem with the fan. The "genius' took it in the back and came back and told me that computer was passing a more advanced test and that he could therefore not have it sent...
That's a load of bullshit! If AHT gives you an error code (something like 4MOT/1/40000002: Left_Middle-Front or 4SNS/1/40000000: 'TCOP') either then fan, the LB or both need to be replaced.

If the 'genius' doesn't know that talk to another one or the store manager. In the worst case go to another Apple Store. When I called Apple Care and gave them the error codes they arranged warranty replacement immediately with no further questions. They swapped the LB and the left fan assembly and the MBP has been working like a charm ever since.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2007, 07:49 AM

My MBP seems to run around 40 to 70c depending on the usage and the ambient temps. Its been floating around 55c lately but it also has been very warm in my un-air conditioned home office. If I'm doing any serious photoshop or other cpu intensive tasks it will spike to the high 60s low 70s. I generally kick in SMCFancontrol in advance of this and that helps keep the heat in check.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2007, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
That's a load of bullshit! If AHT gives you an error code (something like 4MOT/1/40000002: Left_Middle-Front or 4SNS/1/40000000: 'TCOP') either then fan, the LB or both need to be replaced.

If the 'genius' doesn't know that talk to another one or the store manager. In the worst case go to another Apple Store. When I called Apple Care and gave them the error codes they arranged warranty replacement immediately with no further questions. They swapped the LB and the left fan assembly and the MBP has been working like a charm ever since.
I hear you, but it seems that it ended up "passing" the AHT too, after failing it initially, whereas the widget still told me than the left fan speed was 0 rpm. Following the protocol, he could not send it in. He tried to look for some heat related crash in the log but could not find any (because it has not happened yet). I guess I will back up VERY regularly until something inside fries...

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2007, 09:45 PM

My 17" MacBook Pro (first gen) is uncomfortably hot doing just simple web browsing. I'm trying this SMCFanControl thing, which reports my temp at 54° C just typing here. I cranked the fans up to 3600RPM and notice no audible difference, which leads me to believe it's not doing anything even though SMCFanControl claims they are fluctuating around 3600RPM. What gives? Shouldn't the fans be annoying loud at the moment?

What's the coolest one can expect to see the temperature drop? Thank you
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

Film Prof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2007, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by lorenzo View Post
50 under browsing?

Oh my... my 2.2 is now at 65°, with fans at 2k, simply doing light work like typing into word and having firefox open.
Firefox is seen to be sucking 35% of cpu cycles, but still, my Pro feels always very hot; as soon as I play with it, fans kick in at 6k and temperatures remain below 78, but under load I've seen often 82 or 83, albeit only for seconds.
Is my machine doomed?
Word is still a PowerPC program, and hasn't been rewritten for the Intel chip. All PowerPC programs seem to make the Intel chip run hotter.

Remxed
Aug 1, 2007, 04:04 PM

smcFanControl really does help. I set mine to 5000 rpm and my cpu temps dropped from 64-54 within minutes.

Also.. running the mpb on batteries tend to slow the heating up issue but you're sacrificing some cpu power for it i guess..

Forum Links
Forum Rules