Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMacs arriving tomorrow.

New iMacs arriving tomorrow.
macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2007, 07:18 PM

Tomorrow Apple is releasing the new redesigned iMac.

It'll hold up to 4GB of ram, 2 hard drives, and 2 optical drives. The video card, hard drive, ram, and optical drives will be easily user-upgradeable. The incredible new design (which I can't disclose any details about), will be as efficient and brilliant as the Mac Pro's interior design, while retaining a compact all-in-one form factor that allows for display rotation and height adjustment.

The standard video card across all models (except for the low end), will be the GeForce 8600GT, and the 24" will have a CPU option for the desktop version of the Intel chips, instead of the Laptop version that's been standard in all models.

This is not speculation, but don't ask me where I get my info, just wait until tomorrow.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2007, 07:23 PM

You having inside info? User upgradable GPU? Excuse me while I LOL.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2007, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
You having inside info? User upgradable GPU? Excuse me while I LOL.
Sorry, that was a typo. Not the video card. But the hard drive, ram, and optical drive will be upgradeable.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2007, 07:57 PM

OK, so what happens if no new iMac is released tomorrow?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2007, 08:45 PM

Signature depreciated.

Cold Warrior
Jul 30, 2007, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
ditto

indigoimac
Senior User
Jul 30, 2007, 08:51 PM

2 Harddrives and 2 Optical drives? Hah, it'll be huge! Though I guess we'll see.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2007, 09:01 PM

Go away child
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 30, 2007, 09:02 PM

I vote fud on the specifications.
There may be new iMacs though.

Originally Posted by UNTeMac
Go away child
Simply brilliant.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2007, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
2 optical drives

the 24" will have a CPU option for the desktop version of the Intel chips, instead of the Laptop version that's been standard in all models.
Not going to happen.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2007, 10:41 PM

Don't forget to pick up the Secret Garden Edition iMac

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2007, 11:02 PM

I would normally waste time trying to convince you guys that i'm right, but I don't feel like it, because I only have to wait until tomorrow to be proven right.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2007, 11:10 PM

I would normally waste time trying to convince you guys that i'm right, but I don't feel like it, because I only have to wait until tomorrow to be proven right.
We feel the exact same way about proving you wrong.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2007, 11:16 PM

I would guess tomorrow or next Tuesday will bring the new iMac.
... 2 optical drives.
Why? I mean, why?
... display rotation and height adjustment.
That would be cool.

I think that 20" is potentially large enough to allow for 1 or 2 PCI slots inside.

Design-wise, I would expect a mixed white and aluminum design like the Mac mini. I would also expect no chin, but instead a wider frame with speakers hidden behind "aluminum cheese-graters" like the MacBook Pro.

I would also hope Apple unveils a new iLife, since that supposedly hit gold master already.

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2007, 11:32 PM

Secret garden edition, heh heh heh, that deserved a bit more appreciation than it got...
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2007, 12:21 AM

SO one of two things will happen. It'l either get released or not. One way or the other, I, a neutral observer, will get a laguh out of the backpeddling by someone.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2007, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Don't forget to pick up the Secret Garden Edition iMac
LOL! Flower Power 2.0

Rumor has it that the code name for the new iMac design is "Babel."

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2007, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
OK, so what happens if no new iMac is released tomorrow?
Then a rotten eggs storm is coming.

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Madison, WI (College) and Frankfurt, Germany (Home)
Jul 31, 2007, 02:41 AM

Thread No. 2 with weird speculations... lovely.

Secret Garden Edition... and Flower Power 2.0... Somebody needs to come out from the STP

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2007, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Biest View Post
Thread No. 2 with weird speculations... lovely.

Secret Garden Edition... and Flower Power 2.0... Somebody needs to come out from the STP
What's STP?

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 07:31 AM

Wrong.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 08:37 AM

specs correct or not (and i'm rather skeptical, or should i say 'spec-tical' ),
i hope there ARE new imacs today, since...
i want one now.
c'mon apple it's time!!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 31, 2007, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
specs correct or not (and i'm rather skeptical, or should i say 'spec-tical' ),
i hope there ARE new imacs today, since...
i want one now.
c'mon apple it's time!!
What time is it now in the US and what time do they usually update the store?

malone
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
What time is it now in the US and what time do they usually update the store?
It's morning over on the east here (very early morning out in Cali), and the Apple Store hasn't gone down yet. I honestly doubt it's coming out today... but, like the poster hanging on Mulder's wall, "I want to believe".

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by malone View Post
It's morning over on the east here (very early morning out in Cali), and the Apple Store hasn't gone down yet. I honestly doubt it's coming out today...
No, it is not coming today. If it was, by now the european stores would be already closed, and probably the U.S. one too.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 31, 2007, 09:53 AM

When the keynote has started at 10am in the US it's usually late evening here, say 6pm, then the US one comes back up first then the UK one. So there's still chance of a release.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2007, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
When the keynote has started at 10am in the US it's usually late evening here, say 6pm, then the US one comes back up first then the UK one. So there's still chance of a release.
Sorry to bring the bad news, but what you describe does not happens when updates are undergoing without some major event. In such cases, first the european stores go down and then the U.S. store. And by now the stores would be about to come back online again.

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2007, 10:54 AM

What's STP?
A more potent form of LSD. Supposedly gives you three day trips and a trip to the hospital

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 10:55 AM

So at what time do we officially call this busted?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 31, 2007, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Pierre B. View Post
Sorry to bring the bad news, but what you describe does not happens when updates are undergoing without some major event. In such cases, first the european stores go down and then the U.S. store. And by now the stores would be about to come back online again.
Oh well. Maybe next Tuesday.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2007, 11:03 AM

They don't always close the Apple Store when new products are coming out. It would be nice if the new iMac came out today, I'm getting tired of the iPhone being everywhere on the Apple main page.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2007, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
So at what time do we officially call this busted?
7:18 PM, Yesterday.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 11:10 AM

I see what you did there.

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2007, 11:46 AM

Dual hard drives? Can we also put them in RAID?

Visualize
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2007, 11:50 AM

I really want to believe that what the OP is saying is true.

kikkoman
Senior User
Jul 31, 2007, 11:58 AM

Two internal hard drives would be nice. It woul eliminate the need for an external in most cases. I was thinking maybe it's done like the XServe with removable trays, even better would be tooless/trayless design. I doubt two optical drives though.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2007, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
I really want to believe that what the OP is saying is true.
The OP may very well have some real source. His source was simply not well informed, probably intentionally. You never know with such things.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2007, 12:44 PM

If you read other posts by the OP, you'd lend even less weight.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2007, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by UNTeMac View Post
If you read other posts by the OP, you'd lend even less weight.
i really liked this thread

http://forums.macnn.com/65/mac-pro-a...g-on-mac-pros/

Peter753
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2007, 01:13 PM

Two hard drives might make a little sense with the new time machine business in 10.5 hmm? Do you think they will release them and 10.5 and the new iLife all together? It seems like it'd be really crappy of them to release new iMacs and then require people to buy all new software a couple months later. Even if it were made free for those who purchased new iMacs it would suck for a lot of customers.
( Last edited by Peter753; Jul 31, 2007 at 01:26 PM. )

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Peter753 View Post
Two hard drives might make a little sense with the new time machine business in 10.5 hmm? Do you think they will release them and 10.5 and the new iLife all together? It seems like it'd be really crappy of them to release new iMacs and then require people to buy all new software a couple months later. Even if it were made free for those who purchased new iMacs it would suck a lot of customers.

They updated the MBPs and MBs a couple weeks back, so I doubt that would be a valid reasoning for apple. I am the regular consumer is not going to wait till leopard, but rather shell out the extra for it.

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2007, 02:08 PM

I'd like to see 2.5" drive(s) in the iMac with user-serviceable bay(s) like the RAM modules.

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2007, 02:27 PM

I reckon we'll see them out tommorow (1st August...), probs around 6pm BST. I just think it makes sense to bring them out on the first of the month.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Andhee View Post
I reckon we'll see them out tommorow (1st August...), probs around 6pm BST. I just think it makes sense to bring them out on the first of the month.
that would kill apple's 'tuesday morning' tradition, so...seems unlikely.

more WEEKS to hold my breath....!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2007, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
that would kill apple's 'tuesday morning' tradition, so...seems unlikely.
I am not saying that it will be tomorrow, but in the last one or two years many updates took place on Wednesdays.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2007, 03:30 PM

There have been a few on Wednesdays in the last year I will agree. I do like Tuesdays though.

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2007, 03:31 PM

how about the 15th of august? 9th birthday of the imac.... something to consider.

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2007, 03:59 PM

waittt! I now say, definately the 15th, because I have been lurking around the apple website and have seen a deal which ends the day before, which is "Get up to 50% off any printer when you buy any mac, up until 14th August." It makes logical sense for them to finish the deal then because people will start purchasing the imac and most probably buy a printer with it, as several people will end up purchasing the full blown kit, renew their desk kinda thing. So, what i'm saying is, they are taking off the deal the day before they release the imac because not only will it boost sales of the imac, it will boost sales of printers, therefore apple will benefit more because people will need to buy a printer anyway. Sorry if it makes no sense but I understand myself, lol.

Oh, and the 15th is a wednesday for the person who said "many updates occur on wednesdays."

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2007, 05:16 PM

I don't believe it. But for the sake of this thread let's look at those specs.

4 GB RAM and 2 HDD bays seems ok. But what's the deal with the second optical bay? Apple didn't manage to put a second optical bay in the PM G5 and now they're gonna fit two in an iMac? No way.

And how is your iMac supposed to be compact? The 5.25" bays require twice the size of the current iMac SD. So your iMac needs four times the space just for the optical drives. And then we need a second HDD bay. And since it's all so easily user upgradeable forget about the ultra dense packaging of the current iMac. To top things off with all those bays they have to design a cooling system for all the additional heat that could come from those bays (and of course will also come from that rumored desktop chipset option). And this is supposed to follow the whisper quiet current C2D iMac? Nope, not gonna happen.

Display rotation? Apple's never done it on the iMac. Actually the current iMacs an the ACDs are the least adjustable of almost their entire history. And from almost no adjustment we're now going to full adjustment? Probably not.

Finally the desktop chipset. Why? How would Apple go about marketing that? The average iMac buyer doesn't even know that different chipsets exist for mobile computers and desktops! The only option I see here would be to market it as a faster CPU and FSB clock option (for example a 2.66 GHz Conroe or Kentsfield on a 1066 MHz FSB rather than a 2.4 GHz Merom on a 800 MHz FSB). And for this mere .16 GHz how much can Apple charge? $250 bucks maybe? How's that supposed to cover the cost of having to design a completely different LB that BTW also has never been done before at Apple (up to now they never used a desktop chipset [Broadwater or Bearlake]). In addition since this is a BTO option they can only sell it to a part of the iMac market. A likely pretty small one at that since we're talking about an option on the 24" only. Which IOW makes the option even costlier. This just makes no sense at all. And don't even get me started on the size and/or noise of such an iMac considering the required cooling capacity.

So as I said I don't believe it. It doesn't sound likely from Apple's business perspective and it certainly doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the average iMac buyer. The good thing is we'll know in a few hours. If you (or your source) just made this up I expect you to make a record breaking number of entries on ignore lists around here.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2007, 05:47 PM

man do I love the new iMacs. they are totally awesome and also boner-worthy as usual. macgeek was so correct in his prediction. hats off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules