Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My G4 400 Sawtooth AGP and video

My G4 400 Sawtooth AGP and video
RichardET
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2002, 05:26 PM

I have a problem on this 2.3 yr old computer. I have the 16 meg ATI AGP video, and a 19" Radius monitor. One day about 2 weeks ago, the computer
suddenly quit knowing what sort of video system I have. It always thinks I have standard VGA with 640x480 capability. It used to know that I have a Radius monitor attached and always put me into 1152x900 default, with tru color. Now, I have to set this thru OSX. When I hold the option key down and boot from firmware, the icons are huge sonce it is in such a low res state! This never happened before 2 weeks ago. What preceded this was the following: I had the system shutdown instead of asleep. When the system is asleep, normally all I do is press mouse key and things boot up.
That morning I had forgotten it was actually shutdown, and I absent mindedly touched mouse key and system popped up!! But, the GUI interface of OSX was gone, and all I had was a text based Darwin system which was at a # prompt with no on logged in! Not even root! I panicked!
When I rebooted, the video system was changed in the aforementioned way.

I re-installed OSX, to no avail. I have unplugged the battery to no avail.
The system works fine, but it has no knowledge of what sort of monitor I have nor its high resolution capabiliies. Formerly, OSX knew that I had a Radius monitor and had its profile automatically set. Now, I have to simply select generic capabilities.

What is wrong here? Is it hardware? Is it firmware? I also reset the PRAM, to no avail.

Richard

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2002, 01:04 AM

A few questions before I offer any help or jump to conclusions:

What version of OS X are you running?

Do you have OS 9 installed and if so does this happen when you're in OS 9?
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

RichardET  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2002, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by brown monk:
<STRONG>A few questions before I offer any help or jump to conclusions:

What version of OS X are you running?

Do you have OS 9 installed and if so does this happen when you're in OS 9?</STRONG>
I have OSX 10.1.3 on one drive and OS 9.2 on the other. OS9 seems more
able to discern my video system, but I am most curious about the fact that the firmware always comes up with huge icons.

RichardET  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2002, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by RichardET:
<STRONG>

I have OSX 10.1.3 on one drive and OS 9.2 on the other. OS9 seems more
able to discern my video system, but I am most curious about the fact that the firmware always comes up with huge icons.</STRONG>
I re-installed OSX 10.1.3 last night plus re-installed OS 9.2.2, all new
partitions and now the video problems are gone. Sounds like a definite
software bug to me which affects firmware.

Forum Links
Forum Rules