Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > VGA support with new G4's

VGA support with new G4's
uochris
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2001, 03:45 AM

I'm sorry to see Apple going back to the old days when you needed to buy a printer that would work with Apple's serial ports and a mouse that had to be made for mac's only. Now they no longer VGA ports on their video cards unless you want to spend an extra $100 for the twin view option. $600 for a 15" flat panel? Are you kidding me? Not when I can get a pretty nice 19" CRT for only $300. With OS X a 15" isn't even a realistic option IMHO. The thing that I find odd is that I did not see any adapter cable on the apple store web site that would allow users to use VGA based moitors with the new G4's. I know that such a beast must exist but why wouldn't they make it available on the apple store. I searched macmall for the adapter but my search didn't turn anything up. I guess I just find it unfortunate that Apple is making it so difficult for users to use non Apple monitors.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/
Apple doesn't read these message boards. If you have a complaint or suggestion for OS X send feedback where it will do some good.

jlb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2001, 07:48 AM

Um, what?
http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html

Graphics support
One of the following graphics cards, installed in a dedicated AGP 4X graphics slot:
-�NVIDIA GeForce2 MX graphics card with 32MB of SDRAM
-�NVIDIA GeForce2 MX graphics card with TwinView and 64MB of SDRAM for dual display support (5)
-�NVIDIA GeForce3 graphics card with 64MB of Double Data Rate (DDR) RAM (build-to-order option)
Support for up to 1920-by-1200-pixel resolution at 32 bits per pixel (millions of colors)
Apple Display Connector (ADC)
15-pin VGA connector
-jlb

Nr9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2001, 10:20 AM

yea but ADC still sucks. completely unnecessary. It also sucks for PC users. ... they can't use the best LCDs available..

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2001, 10:39 AM

yea but ADC still sucks. completely unnecessary. It also sucks for PC users. ... they can't use the best LCDs available..

Sure they can - they just have to switch to the best computers available.

[ 07-21-2001: Message edited by: The Ancient One ]
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

Nr9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2001, 10:54 AM

haha yea

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2001, 12:38 PM

If the G4's do have VGA, then could I use the 15" AV monitor I currently use with my Performa 6400 with a new G4 via a VGA adaptor?

I know this is a bit strange (maybe I should have asked in 'Peripherals') but I'm just trying to save money and get a better computer. If I can keep my existing monitor for now and get a decent one later on I may scrape together enough for an 867 instead of a 733.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

jlb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2001, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by ajprice:
<STRONG>If the G4's do have VGA, then could I use the 15" AV monitor I currently use with my Performa 6400 with a new G4 via a VGA adaptor?</STRONG>
Absolutely! Just don't expect the adapter to be in the box. Apple seems to have stopped giving those away... They still throw in a modem cable (regardless of whether you BTO without the modem), a six-pin to four-pin FireWire cable (regardless of whether you have a digital video camera), and a pack of four screws for mounting a second internal drive, but no VGA adapter.

-jlb

smileyq
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2001, 04:54 AM

So am I to take it that the Geforce does have a VGA connector right. If it does not then I'm not going to purchase. ??

jlb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2001, 06:51 AM

From the Power Mac G4 Hardware Developer Note:

Video Monitor Ports

The Power Mac G4 computer comes with an accelerated graphics card installed. The card provides an Apple display connector (ADC) for a digital flat-panel monitor and a VGA connector for an analog video monitor.
Note: The optional dual-monitor graphics card supports monitors connected to both connectors at the same time.

Digital Monitor Connector

The connector for the digital video monitor is an Apple proprietary connector called the ADC (Apple display connector). It carries both digital and analog video signals as well as USB and control signals and power for an external monitor. Figure 3-4 shows the contact configuration; Table 3-7 and Table 3-8 list the signals and pin assignments.

The maximum current available from the 25-V supply for the external monitor is 4.0 A.

[...]

The graphics data sent to the digital monitor use transition minimized differential signaling (TMDS). TMDS uses an encoding algorithm to convert bytes of graphics data into characters that are transition-minimized to reduce EMI with copper cables and DC-balanced for transmission over fiber optic cables. The TMDS algorithm also provides robust clock recovery for greater skew tolerance with longer cables or low cost short cables. For additional information about TMDS, see the references shown in "Digital Visual Interface".

Digital Display Resolutions

Table 3-9 shows the resolutions supported on flat-panel (digital) displays. The 16 MB of video RAM on the accelerated graphics card supports pixel depths up to 32 bits per pixel at all resolutions.

[...]

Analog Monitor Connector

The connector for the video monitor is a three-row DB-9/15 (also called mini sub D15) connector for use with a VGA, SVGA, or XGA monitor. Figure 3-5 shows the pin configuration and Table 3-10 lists the signals and pin assignments.

Monitor Adapter

A monitor adapter is required for connecting an older Apple monitor cable to the analog (VGA) connector. The adapter enables the computer to recognize a wide range of monitor types. The adapter does not come with the computer. The Apple part number for the adapter is 590-1120.

Analog Display Resolutions

Table 3-11 shows the display resolutions, vertical scan rates, and maximum pixel depths supported on analog (CRT) monitors. When power is applied, the monitor is initially set for a display size of 640 by 480 pixels. With a multisync monitor the user can switch the monitor resolution during operation by using the Monitors control panel in Mac OS 9 or the Displays system preference in Mac OS X.

[...]
I hope this puts this issue to rest.

-jlb

Gulliver64
Jul 22, 2001, 04:37 PM

I ordered my new G4/867 yesterday and want to use it with my new Iiyama Pro451 which is currently running on a Voodoo3 @ 1152x865/100Hz. The quoted page only shows 1152x870/75Hz. How can I use the 100Hz with the new computer? Will I need a utility such as SwitchRes or can I get the 100Hz directly from the controlpanel?

macman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2001, 01:20 AM

Of course there's a VGA port on the video card (the specs also say this). Why would Apple force people into buying their displays or an adapter- they've already made that mistake before.

Forum Links
Forum Rules