Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone coming to Verizon tomorrow?

iPhone coming to Verizon tomorrow? (Page 2)
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2007, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
Actually, China has GSM support (given that their unwritten policy is to offer unlocked cellphones, and the fact that two mainland carriers are interested in carrying the iPhone...).
They have GSM support, but from what I understand, they've been moving to CDMA for the past couple of years, although it's the variant of CDMA that uses the RUIM cards which are similar to the SIM cards that GSM uses (thus making an unlocked CDMA phone possible).

Japan has some GSM towers, IIRC; Vodafone tried to compete there and used GSM phones, but I think they've given up, and I don't know if those towers still exist.
Gsmworld.com shows no GSM coverage at all for Japan or South Korea.

GSM is generally more widely used, though, AFAIK.
That may be true, but to say no one uses CDMA is just not accurate.

As for building two models for different markets, it's possible, but I don't think both CDMA and GSM iPhones would be offered simultaneously in the US.
Well, given that most of the US market is CDMA, that would be a strange business decision.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Nov 26, 2007, 01:18 AM

Well, given Apple's habit of exclusivity, nothing's out of possibility.

Especially when Verizon is likely to butt heads with Jobs a lot. Which is made apparent by Apple and Verizon opting not to launch the original iPhone.
( Last edited by butterfly0fdoom; Nov 26, 2007 at 12:37 PM. )
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Saint_Stryfe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2007, 02:54 AM

later this week or next, the merger of AT&T and Dobson Cell (aka Cellular One) will be completed, and Dobson customers (In many medium-density rural areas like Southeast NY State, where Cell One has very dense cell coverage) will be able to use the iPhone in addition to buying it. I'm a Cell One customer, and have been holding out to get an iPhone. Looks like I'm getting my Christmas gift. LOL

Forum Links
Forum Rules