Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Backups

Backups
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2008, 03:21 PM

Sorry, not sure if this is the right Forum for this.

A mate of mine had his PC nicked (among other things) and he said that the worst thing was not having a backup of his photos outside of his house - they nicked the DVDs that he had backed up the photos on. SO ... I'm revisiting my backup solution and wanted feedback / advice / criticism.

I've got an external (WD MyBook) hooked up to the iMac and using TimeMachine. I'm going to buy 2 portable external hard drives (probably WD Passport Studios) and I'm going to backup all important files once a week (eg on Thursday) and then take the drive to work. The other drive will be used with either Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper for a clone backup. When Thursday comes, I'll backup the important files and then swap the drive with the one at work.

Unless I've miscalculated I should have covered all bases : Time Machine backups on the permanently attached MyBook. The hard drive at work will have a copy of all my important files, and the second portable hard drive will have a clone that I can boot from if the internal hard drive dies.

So, what would you guys and gals recommend for the 'clone' backups? CCC or Super Duper?
Am I missing something in my backup solution?
Should thieves of Apple hardware be castrated?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2008, 04:10 PM

I would look at Jungle disk for some cheap off site backup. Given that you will not be generating a large amount of changed file data day on day, even having a nightly upload shouldn't break the bank, and if it looks like it might you can always schedule a weekly upload instead.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2008, 04:19 PM

I have Jungle Disk with Amazon S3 behind it and from my experience its too long. I'm not sure if its because I'm in France, but when I tried doing the iTunes library it took longer than a weekend. And my library has grown since. I have 200G of data that needs backing up now.

OreoCookie
Nov 30, 2008, 05:02 PM

I use Synk Standard for that.
I have a second external harddrive at my parents' home that I update once a month. It doesn't just clone, it does incremental updates.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2008, 02:17 AM

Ok, so I just found out that Dreamhost now allows 50GB for personal backups. Great deal.

See more in my thread here.

-t

zro
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2008, 02:31 AM

Right now the only data I truly fear losing is photos. So I keep a (sometimes) weekly backup of iPhoto in the car in an encrypted sparseimage on an iPod. But I just used AppleScript Folder Actions on the Volumes folder to run rsync (sometimes) automagically when the iPod connects. Nothing fancy. But for some reason I sometimes have to run it manually.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2008, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Ok, so I just found out that Dreamhost now allows 50GB for personal backups. Great deal.

See more in my thread here.

-t

Yeah, if your data isn't all that important.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2008, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Yeah, if your data isn't all that important.
It's a secondary backup to my primary backups, which I keep on Time Machine.

Chances are slim that my primary computer and Time Machine both fail, and Dreamhost loses the data at the same time.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2008, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
It's a secondary backup to my primary backups, which I keep on Time Machine.

Chances are slim that my primary computer and Time Machine both fail, and Dreamhost loses the data at the same time.

-t

That's cool, although I'm not sure how practical it would be for me and my ridiculously slow Comcast upload speed. I'd rather stuff a hard drive into a spare computer and rsync to it, although maybe someday I ought to look into buying more bandwidth from Comcast. I don't like the idea of giving Comcast more money, but it would be nice to have.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2008, 03:18 AM

The problem with your backup strategy: if you don't physically remove your HD from your home every time, you are not safe in case of a fire or theft.

-t

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2008, 08:06 AM

There will be one external hard drive physically attached all the time. This is being used by Time Machine. The two other hard drives will swap from being : at work and at home but with either a Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner backup on it. Once a week I will backup all important files to the home-based external, erasing the Super Duper or CCC backup and I will take it to work. The hard drive at work will then come home.

I won't be using a 'cloud based' backup solution because (in my experience) its too slow - I need the important file backup to last no more than 9 hours.

OreoCookie
Dec 1, 2008, 08:19 AM

Super Duper doesn't do incremental backups, I recommend you use another software for that (e. g. Synk).*

* Note that many people use incremental backup in the wrong sense: they think of `quick updates,' i. e. only files which have been changed are copied. An incremental backup saves older versions of your file (this is not the case with Super Duper).

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2008, 10:05 AM

OreoCookie, cheers looks like Synk Standard is what I'll use.

Of course if I have any problems then I'll PM you

OreoCookie
Dec 1, 2008, 10:15 AM

Hehe, ok, no prob. Synk is quite cheap (if you take the cheapest version, I have the Standard edition). In theory, you can have it scheduled, the Pro version even allows 1-to-N backups (you could back up to two harddrives simultaneously.

Edit: Oh, I've also found a free software called Mathusalem which is supposed to do the same thing. It's hosted by google and looks like a decent project. You may want to have a look at that first.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Dec 1, 2008 at 10:30 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2008, 10:34 AM

Disk Utility's Restore is free. Its clones are rock solid. Partition a big disk into several smaller chunks to which you clone to. That way you get bootable clones, with some history. It's a great addition to a TM/TC backup. And it's free too.

It's part of every OS X installation. It's even on the OS XS install disk, IOW always available.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2008, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Sorry, not sure if this is the right Forum for this.

A mate of mine had his PC nicked (among other things) and he said that the worst thing was not having a backup of his photos outside of his house - they nicked the DVDs that he had backed up the photos on. SO ... I'm revisiting my backup solution and wanted feedback / advice / criticism.

I've got an external (WD MyBook) hooked up to the iMac and using TimeMachine. I'm going to buy 2 portable external hard drives (probably WD Passport Studios) and I'm going to backup all important files once a week (eg on Thursday) and then take the drive to work. The other drive will be used with either Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper for a clone backup. When Thursday comes, I'll backup the important files and then swap the drive with the one at work.

Unless I've miscalculated I should have covered all bases : Time Machine backups on the permanently attached MyBook. The hard drive at work will have a copy of all my important files, and the second portable hard drive will have a clone that I can boot from if the internal hard drive dies.

So, what would you guys and gals recommend for the 'clone' backups? CCC or Super Duper?
Am I missing something in my backup solution?
Should thieves of Apple hardware be castrated?
I've been using CCC forever as my backup solution. I tried Super Duper but it seemed to have too many hiccups that prevented reliable (e.g.: I don't have to think about them) backups. and the 3.x versions of CCC have a nice scheduler feature built-in that works like a champ. Every day at 08:00 I do an incremental backup of my /Users directory and on Sunday at 0800 I do a full backup of the whole internal HD.

One problem I had that might effect you is that CCC uses disk name and/or disk id to find the backup disc. There is a setting in there that lets you use just disc name only so that you can swap out discs and not have the backup fail.

<edited to add>
I have my incremental backup copy files that changed *without* doing a backup of the previous version. CCC does offer the option to do an archive/save of changed files on the backup disc but that is not important to me. If I work on something where versioning is really important to me I accomplish that task with saving the versioned copies of the files separately. (For example, my thesis has 11 different versions on my computer so if I want to go back to a previous version I have the older, separate file as a reference.)

And yes, my suggestion does not take into account fire or theft. If the house burns down I lose my iMac and my backup.
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Dec 2, 2008 at 10:49 PM. )
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2008, 10:56 PM

My solution is to carry a small USB external 2.5 drive case with a large laptop HD in it with me any time I'm not at home. They now have 500G ones for $99. I use SuperDuper, but will maybe revert to CCC, my first BU utility, after reading some of the posts. BTW, if you are using a USB hub, make sure it is externally powered.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2008, 11:03 PM

Yeah, I was paranoid enough that I moved virtually everything to work on an external drive. Fire/theft odds are as good as drive failure or lightning strike.

I don't update the offsite storage often enough, but I wouldn't lose EVERYTHING.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 09:21 AM

Bought myself a 320G WD My Passport Studio which has both Firewire 400 and USB. I'll fool around with it tonight.

Cheers for the replies, keep the suggestions coming!

jretzner
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2008, 01:04 AM

I've been using both Time Machine and SuperDuper, each on a different external HD. My strategy was having different backup utilities. SuperDuper had failed when I incorrectly used it to back up. I've since learned how to use it and check that it is a good backup (Booting up via the external HD). Recently I purchased an iMac and am using only TIme Machine with one external HD. After reading in these entries I am thinking about using CCC with its incremental backup ability. I'll daisy-chain the HDs together. Any suggestions for a strategy regarding rotating a third HD for ultimate safety?

jimd144
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2008, 09:00 PM

rdisk is free and already on the Mac. Most programs simply "package" rsync

type "man rsync" to lean the command from the terminal window.

rsync does it all

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2008, 11:13 PM

If you are not familiar with the terminal, rsync, scp etc... will be too high of a learning curve.

For simple incremental backups a la TimeMachine, use Methusalem, FTW.

-t

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2008, 12:43 AM

I liked the look of Mathusalem, but -- after reading this -- it won't do for me:
Information about Mathusalem limitations ...two of which are:
:
• Mathusalem does not preserve owner and permissions on files or directories
• It does not preserve extended attributes on directories, but preserves them on files

re: preserves them on files
I wonder if "preserves" means they are copied the first time AND also tracked for changes.
...Or, that they are copied the first time, but NOT tracked for subsequent (xattr) changes.[?]
(i.e., would changing a file's metadata cause that same change to be "backed up"?)

Also see the questions/comments which follow on that page,
including this answer/info from one of the developers:
Mathusalem does not use rsync but a custom backup file engine.

Oh well, it is free after all. So . . .
-HI-

JBucanek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2008, 09:42 PM

For incremental backups, check out QRecall <http://www.qrecall.com/>. Handles extended attributes and even captures and restores hard links. Can also restore an entire system.

thechidz
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2008, 01:52 AM

I vote carbon copy cloner

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2008, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis View Post
I liked the look of Mathusalem, but -- after reading this -- it won't do for me:
Information about Mathusalem limitations ...two of which are:
:
• Mathusalem does not preserve owner and permissions on files or directories
• It does not preserve extended attributes on directories, but preserves them on files

Oh well, it is free after all. So . . .
Well, isn't that sort of a given, if you'd back up to FTP / SFTP server ?

For local backups (to a HD), it's a different matter.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2008, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by JBucanek View Post
For incremental backups, check out QRecall <http://www.qrecall.com/>. Handles extended attributes and even captures and restores hard links. Can also restore an entire system.
Looks interesting.

-t

thechidz
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2008, 04:03 AM

I will look into this

Forum Links
Forum Rules