Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Safari Messed Up by New OSX Update

Safari Messed Up by New OSX Update
Geoff
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2008, 03:24 PM

New issues spotted on Safari after newest OSX update. (Had to revert to dl version after auto update would lock up). Many problems are being reported at Mac Support on this.

Safari now is totally messed up with my main web development software (server based) and many of the internal functions on it do not work at all properly. Firefox works fine but Safari mess ups reported on a number of Macs in different parts of the world. What has Apple done to us this time?

What happens if we restore from TM that was done on the older version of OSX?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2008, 03:30 PM

Safari works just fine here.

Have you installed an extension to Safari like PithHelmet? That likes to cause trouble after updates (because the extension needs to be updated accordingly).

Otherwise I suggest you reapply the combo update which you can d/l from Apple's web site.

Geoff  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2008, 03:37 PM

Nothing added to safari to my knowledge. Will try to reapply but doubt it will happen. You might want to take a look here to see the scope of problems folks are having

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1219

You may have to set up an account (free) to access

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2008, 04:00 PM

"Messed up" is a little vague.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2008, 04:25 PM

A cursory look around the web seems to indicate that there is definitely an issue with some people accessing some banks online via Safari. HSBC has told their customers that it's a recognized issue that Apple has acknowledged.

Geoff  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2008, 05:12 PM

"Messed up" is a little vague.
Hmmm! Yuh think?

More reports are coming in from many fronts to indicate a major screwup by Apple on this one but to be a bit more specific in our case here are a couple of examples.

One of our functions on our site buiding software is to be able to edit an html page. All attempts to go into that mode yield an interrupt message saying there are system issues. However if you go to the exact same function on Firefox at the same time, it works just fine.

Another area of the software which is a link to a specific function in fact takes me back to the log in screen. I have a business to build so haven't spent much time looking for more issues. From all reports in a number of different forums it seems there are many problems from thousands of users around the world,

Is this what happens when Jobs is in ill health and not watching the ship closely?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2008, 11:03 AM

That's nonsense.

But Apple did issue a tech note today saying that a botched install could be the cause of some issues. They suggest reapplying the update or applying the combo update. Basically the same advice given above already.

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/12/19/...llation-issue/
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2383

Geoff  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2008, 02:42 PM

Not sure what Simon is referring to as 'nonsense' but even after following all the magic fixes from Apple, certain areas of my site building software continues to malfunction on two different machines. I have neither the time or interest in exploring all the nooks and crannies of everything in Safari. One machine deleting the software updates file, installing complete combo package (650+M) and getting a completely clean bill of health on disk permissions. There appears to have been something done in Safari that has caused this sudden change.

It would be great however if someone could provide specific info on how to roll back to an earlier version of Safari

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2008, 03:16 PM

Didn't you say everything works fine with Firefox?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2008, 03:25 PM

I'm kind of confused. Safari isn't site-building software. Are you using some site-building software that depends on WebKit or what?
Chuck
___

Geoff  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2008, 03:26 PM

Yes - FF works fine. The issues are with Safari. No other issues spotted with 10.5.6 as far as I can tell. We are functional but not with where all the bookmarks and keychain stuff is.

Now how do we roll back Safari?

Geoff  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2008, 03:46 PM

We access server based website development software on a secure site. Areas within that have suddenly stopped working correctly. This is directly linked to the OS and Safari updates. Rather hard to build pages when you cannot access the edit page function etc. Our tech support has also been advised but it clearly is an Apple created problem.

Combine this will all the other comments coming out on several fronts and you wonder what really has happened here.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2008, 03:51 PM

Have you tried using the nightly build of WebKit? I haven't touched the "retail" version of Safari since a very long time and didn't have any problem so far. It might be worth to give it a try!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2008, 04:02 PM

I'm not sure if rolling back to an older Safari would do it. Like Firewire said, maybe try a newer WebKit build and see if that helps.
Chuck
___

Geoff  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2008, 01:48 AM

Pardon my ignorance but what is a Webkit and how do I find it to remove it from my machine?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 20, 2008, 02:19 AM

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2008, 02:32 AM

Roll back with TM.

1) Launch new install of OS X
2) Select to restore from TM backup
3) Chose a TM backup from before you updated

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2008, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
Pardon my ignorance but what is a Webkit and how do I find it to remove it from my machine?
You do web development but don't know what Webkit is?
Vandelay Industries

Salty
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2008, 03:27 PM

I'm having the same problems, safari can stay up for about 3 minutes before it crashes, try and open a tab for more than three seconds and boom!

Anyway I'm updating with the combo updater...

Salty
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2008, 03:35 PM

Webkit doesn't work either... btw I don't like Firefox

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2008, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I'm having the same problems, safari can stay up for about 3 minutes before it crashes, try and open a tab for more than three seconds and boom!
http://forums.macnn.com/82/applicati...m-with-safari/

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2008, 10:21 PM

nm

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules