Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Auto disconnect for Remote Access?

Auto disconnect for Remote Access?
joeyzr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 1999, 11:05 PM

I am using Netscape Communicator 4.7 on my iMac DV with OS9. Having just dropped AOL, this is my first time using Remote Access to connect to my new ISP and using Communicator.

I like that I have been able to set Remote Access up so that when I launch Communicator or open Browse the Internet, Remote Access kicks in, TCP/IP does its thing and I am online.

But when I quit Communicator, Remote Access is still logged on and I have to take those few extra steps to ensure I don't leave my phone line tied up. Besides setting the Remote Access so that it prompts me every 5 minutes, or disconnects after a few minutes of inactivity, is there some way to fix this so that quitting Communicator also disconnects Remote Access?

Thanks.
joeyzr

Lander
Dec 5, 1999, 03:01 AM

i think i have just what you need, two scripts, script1 connects to your isp via remote access, then launches remote access status (so you can quickly disconnect and then reconnect) and then launches Netscape,
script2 disconnects from remote access, then quits remote access status, then quits netscape. be sure to note the location of the applications and folders, you'll need to change these to suit your system. BTW i'm just learning about apple scripts so i'm sure these could be written better, but they work great. to make it work copy and paste these into the script editor and save as classic applet and check the box to never show startup screen. if you have problems i can email them to you.
Lander

--script1--
RA connect
tell application "Finder"
activate
select file "Remote Access Status" of folder "~Apps..." of folder "Applications" of startup disk
open selection
select file "Netscape Communicator�" of folder "Netscape Communicator� Folder" of folder "~Folders" of folder "Applications" of startup disk
open selection
end tell

--script2--
RA disconnect
tell application "Netscape Communicator�"
quit
end tell
tell application "Remote Access Status"
quit
end tell

Forum Links
Forum Rules