Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Mac seen in Monsters Inc??

New Mac seen in Monsters Inc??
gsciorio
Nov 5, 2001, 12:13 AM

Hey I just saw Monsters Inc and was supprised (in a way) to see a mac in it. I know Steve owns Pixar but when I saw this mac I could not tell what kind it was.

Maybe a new Laptop?

In one of the final scenes where the main character (big blue one or green one) pulled out a magazine from a box on the back you can see a add for a new apple computer.

I just can't tell what it is.

Cool movie too!
Giulio

Brit Ben
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2001, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by gsciorio:
<STRONG>Hey I just saw Monsters Inc and was supprised (in a way) to see a mac in it. I know Steve owns Pixar but when I saw this mac I could not tell what kind it was.

Maybe a new Laptop?

In one of the final scenes where the main character (big blue one or green one) pulled out a magazine from a box on the back you can see a add for a new apple computer.

Cool movie too!</STRONG>

Yeah, I noticed that too. I think someone is poking a little fun at us !

Ben.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2001, 12:39 AM

To get to the heart of the matter - did you like the show? Did it live up to the trailers? How does it compare to Toy Story, TS II, and A Bugs Life?

<dfdfshdfshdfs>
Nov 6, 2001, 01:46 AM

I haven't seen either Toy Story or Bug's Life, but I thought Monsters was VERY good (and I don't like many movies), totally living up to the previews. If you like CG stuff, there's a good deal more eye candy than even the previews let on. Highly recommended.

I think I know what scene they're talking about, but I didn't catch the fake Apple ad. Guess I'll have to go see it again.

Alex

absmiths
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2001, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by &lt;dfdfshdfshdfs&gt;:
<STRONG>If you like CG stuff, there's a good deal more eye candy than even the previews let on. Highly recommended.
</STRONG>
I got excited just watching the teaser with the big blue monster's long hair flowing with the movements! My favorite part about the whole Pixar series is that you don't have to like CG to like them. They are great stories done really well, and if you like CG, there's plenty of candy!

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: absmiths ]

georgius
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2001, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by absmiths:
<STRONG>

I got excited just watching the teaser with the big blue monster's long hair flowing with the movements! My favorite part about the whole Pixar series is that you don't have to like CG to like them. They are great stories done really well, and if you like CG, there's plenty of candy!

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: absmiths ]</STRONG>
In addition to this, it took $46 million in it's first weekend...which is the largest ever opening takings for an animated feature film. Its the sixth biggest opening ever. Pretty cool.

Play it cool

widget.alnora.com

for macintosh gui

Lucidwray
Nov 6, 2001, 04:45 PM

I saw the ad on the back of the magazine too! From what I could tell it looked like a flat screen display with a tower next to it. (At least thats what I though it looked like for the .5 seconds you could see it.)
No one else I was with saw it. I guess its just the Mac junkie in me keeping an ever vigilant eye out for Macs.
nolo contendere: A legal term meaning: "I didn't do it, judge, and I'll never do it again."

<epic>
Nov 6, 2001, 05:14 PM

I cant wait for a the dvd to come put.

dawaves
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2001, 05:47 PM

OMG!! you guys saw it too??? wow I thought I was the only one trying to see if Stevo would slip somthing in like that. To me it just looked like a retro-y type display, but as soon as I saw it, I was convinced it was Steve's little teaser of the new macs that are coming in JAN. OH and yeah, the Movie is AWESOME folks...one of the best i've ever seen. I am convinced Steve and his team know the formula for movie "magic". Pixar is a diamond in the ruff.
"The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste, they have absolutely no taste...they just make really third rate products."

- Steve Jobs (founder and CEO of Apple, Pixar, NeXT, and hopefully Disney)

Elvin
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2001, 05:51 PM

I've watched all of Pixar's movies, and I think that this is one of the best. A Bug's Life and Toy Story are up there too (I didn't like Toy Story 2 as much), but Monster's Inc was funny and touching. I think John Goodman, was cut perfectly for his role as Scully. The annimation was fantastic (espcially Scully's hair..my goodness!). The plot was well thought out, and had even me (an older viewer) interested. Again, Pixar shines with their work, and their 'short' at the beginning of the movie was hallarious! The birds were so commical, yet it was so simplistic. I recommend this movie!

applenut1
Senior User
Nov 6, 2001, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by gsciorio:
<STRONG>Hey I just saw Monsters Inc and was supprised (in a way) to see a mac in it. I know Steve owns Pixar but when I saw this mac I could not tell what kind it was.

Maybe a new Laptop?

Cool movie too!</STRONG>

considering the scene was probably layed out ande designed several years ago I doubt it

absmiths
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2001, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by applenut1:
<STRONG>
considering the scene was probably layed out ande designed several years ago I doubt it</STRONG>
True, the scene was storyboarded several years ago, but a prop could easily be changed last minute, as long as it met the same criteria as what it replaced - E.G., they could have used a generic laptop until a few months ago, then replaced it with the real object (or just used a different texture map) before final rendering. CG movies are much more flexible than real movies in that respect.

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2001, 05:58 PM

yeah, and remember when we supposedly saw a new laptop on "The Street".

Boy, did that ever generate some discussion at Apple Insider. We had people doing all sorts of scans and tests on that .3 seconds of footage Good old AI...*sniff*

Fun times....
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2001, 11:55 AM

Seeing as though Jobs is the head-honcho of both companies, I don't think he would leak Apple secrets through Pixar.

Avenir
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2001, 01:10 AM

my money says he put that in for shlt's and giggles, then came here to watch us squirm...

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2001, 02:29 AM

They always do...

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2001, 04:34 AM

I just saw it too. Yesterday. FUNNY STUFF, reminds me of the place I work at. The new Mac, I saw it too. Before I forget, I should immortalize it.

That's how the scene looked like, as far as I can recollect. Pretty sure I have missed many things from the Mac ad.

<TonyRado>
Nov 12, 2001, 12:28 PM

Nice drawing Godfather. I too thought the movie was pretty cool. However, am I the only one who thinks that maybe there's a problem with a children's movie featuring a "one-eyed monster" as the main character? Who are these people from Disney that create this stuff

absmiths
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2001, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by The Godfather:
<STRONG>That's how the scene looked like, as far as I can recollect. Pretty sure I have missed many things from the Mac ad.</STRONG>
My goodness, I thought that Pixar animation was better than that!

absmiths
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2001, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by &lt;TonyRado&gt;:
<STRONG>However, am I the only one who thinks that maybe there's a problem with a children's movie featuring a "one-eyed monster" as the main character? Who are these people from Disney that create this stuff </STRONG>
Have you ever heard of Cyclops? This is more of a nod in that direction than some phallic innuendo. There is even a certain irony to him being a midget. In fact, until you just mentioned it, the thought never even occurred to me, and I doubt that it ever will again.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2001, 09:36 PM

<STRONG>

My goodness, I thought that Pixar animation was better than that! </STRONG>
Well, the movie is infinitely better looking than my scribble. Now that I think about it, the Mac in that ad is more like a dark gray All-in-One, with dark gray tentacles sticking out from the back and crawling on the right side. No tower, I think.

<hello, get a life.>
Nov 13, 2001, 04:56 AM

<STRONG>

Have you ever heard of Cyclops? This is more of a nod in that direction than some phallic innuendo. There is even a certain irony to him being a midget. In fact, until you just mentioned it, the thought never even occurred to me, and I doubt that it ever will again.</STRONG>
agreed. artists, animators, and writers well queue up references like no tomorrow, and are far more intellectual than to simply reference to some teenage colloquialism. Then again, possibly not.

Anyway, I was too far into the plot and the devices (the cover reflecting the bitter irony of being height-challenged, and of course the repeated motif of being excluded) to notice a back cover ad depicting a monster-world computer, with the half-baked notion that it's an Apple ad. fer cryin' out loud.

good night.

Forum Links
Forum Rules