Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Which Inexpensive powerbook best for Imac?

Which Inexpensive powerbook best for Imac?
victor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2000, 01:32 PM

Hi. I'm purchased a 333 imac last year, and am now looking to buy a used, cheap (possibly off Ebay) powerbook that I would be able to "link" (via ethernet or otherwise) to my 333.

My primary need is just a word-processor. I just need something light enough I can stick in my backpack and use at the library or in class. Ethernet would be a big bonus (and necessary to link with my imac??) so I could plug in the the school's free ethernet lines around campus.

I dont need a color screen, but a little battery life might be nice if I was going to use it for note taking in class.

Please! Any suggestions on which models I should go about looking for on Ebay?

Cheers,
Victor

Misha
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2000, 01:38 PM

PowerBook (Duo) 2300 or 2400 would both be good choices.

Small, lightweight, acceptably powerful, color screens, ethernet.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2000, 04:39 PM

I would also reccomend the PowerBook (Duo) 2300c or PowerBook 2400c. There is one more option - a used iBook. They are definitely powerful, catchy, and durable. You can also expect a great battery life from it.

FleaBay usually has a few iBooks for auction. The first iBook is all you need - 3.2 gigabytes of space is good enough for word processing. The only two things I would reccomend are Mac OS 8.6 (uses less RAM and boosts performance slightly, though it doesn't have as many features) and a RAM upgrade.

Good luck on finding a good notebook. Keep away from non-PowerPC notebooks, though. You just won't be satisfied.

I have a friend who's in the market to sell his PowerBook 1400cs if you want it.

duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2000, 06:04 PM

victor, i would suggest the 2400 over the 2300. if you want to hook up the 2300 via ethernet, it is very hard to find the etherdock or whatever the name of the module is that plugs into the back of it, whereas the 2400 has PCMCIA slots for ethernet cards etc. and i believe the 2400 has IR data as well, whereas the 2300 does not. Or as Sean said, an ibook would do well also. Good luck on your hunt!

Jul 28, 2000, 12:06 PM

Or you could just do what I did. Buy a top-of-the-line PowerBook and sell the iMac to make up the difference in cost. The screen is bigger, and the current PowerBooks are faster (except for drive speed).

I had only intended like you to have the PowerBook for when I wanted to be mobile. But trust me, once you put a 'Book next to a desktop Mac, you never use the desktop again. A PowerBook really is the equivalent of a desktop for most.

My two cents :-)

cfoster611
Jul 29, 2000, 04:34 PM

I would recomend a old 1998 Wallstreet 2 Class PowerBook, if you can aford it.

It will be able to run Mac OS 10, while older models won't. Plus, it has ethernet built in and you can stick a Airport card in it. Also, you could stick a DVD Kit in it to play DVD movies (if you can find one, and you can't play DVD movies on 12" screen models) . Once you play a DVD movie on a long airplane, you'll never go back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules