Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Mac Game Review: Elite: Dangerous 1.3.08

Mac Game Review: Elite: Dangerous 1.3.08
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 23, 2015, 07:21 AM

This is a hands-on review of what I expect I'd be calling, easily, the best game I'd ever played, if only I'd kept my hand in. For I played the original Elite, the really original one, as first appeared on the BBC Micro in 1984. It was a marvel that stretched that 8-bit technology to its core -- yet as good as I got at it, I wasn't bitten by the gaming bug. I can't claim I've never played anything since -- I lost some decades of my life to Lemmings -- but Elite: Dangerous is my first exposure to modern games. It's my first introduction to Steam. Elite back after 30 years, and Steam in all its 2015 power: I'm really reviewing the game alongside this entire environment, and also exorcising some of my childhood.

I'm going to try keeping my childhood to myself -- I was there, I saw me do it, and you had a childhood of your own -- but do remember that I'm looking at Elite from a time far away. I would no more have been able to program Elite then than I could now, but at least back in the 1980s I could understand and appreciate the cleverness of its design, as well as enjoy the game. Plus, there is barely a moment in the new game that doesn't see me sitting here, flying a 2015 ship using a joystick on my Mac, with my teenage self sitting next to me flying a BBC Micro by the keyboard. Here's what I see when I half-close my eyes in front of the game:

This image is by Paul Downey, and Trevor Johnson's work was also used in compiling the MacNN main feature image. Looking at that, you're you're wondering whether that's a ship on the screen. It is: the ships in the original Elite were all wireframe ones. What I'm looking at is the keyboard on that BBC Micro: here in the UK, you tended to like this machine or the Sinclair Spectrum. Each had their advantages, but I was already a writer enjoying that gorgeous full-size, full-travel keyboard -- with the occasional marathon Elite session.

For comparison, this is what the current Elite: Dangerous for OS X looks like today. Look carefully: the differences are subtle.

It's not a fair comparison, because the simple Load New Commander Y/N start to the game has become a multi-step login process with profiles, and then this. There's an image of your first Elite: Dangerous ship on the navigation controls, and to me that looks vastly better, far more rendered, yet still somehow the same ship. There's no reason why the new game should slavishly follow the original but honestly, seeing that -- and especially seeing the central navigation map -- felt like coming home.

Although if it's home, it's a home that has been surrounded by a freeway interchange, a new city, and an awful lot of paperwork. I don't remember how long it used to take Elite to start up, but it wasn't fast -- and you know that my 2012 iMac must work at lightspeed compared to my 1984 BBC Micro. The only thing is that the BBC Micro didn't have to put up with Steam.

Steam rises

From out here in the non-gaming world, Steam is big enough that I'm aware of it, and I get that it's a platform. One platform that runs across Windows, Macs and whatever else so that -- as I understand it -- one game can easily run on all the different operating systems around today. Saying that reminds me that we do live in simpler times: today you've got OS X, Windows, Linux and that's about it. In 1984, we had Acorn's BBC Computer OS, Commodore's PET and Amiga and 64, Sinclair's Spectrum system and its QL. Plus Apple II and Mac System 1, and DOS on PCs, and doubtlessly others that I've forgotten (editor's note: TRS-80 Color Computer 4EVER).

Even with today's so few operating systems, it's a enough of an issue that Steam is a clear advantage. Only, again from out here in the non-gaming world, the way that Steam works across platforms feels to me like a limitation. It's an abstraction layer. You gain cross-platform benefits, but you give up something. You give up something that makes the Mac the Mac and presumably on PCs you give up whatever it is that makes a PC a PC.

Now that I've used it in order to play Elite: Dangerous, I don't think I'm right. I don't think that PC owners have given up anything, and I do think that Mac users are for some insane reason accepting what looks to me to be barely working. So much of Steam reminds me of Windows: it wants you to know and appreciate all the work it's doing for you. Consequently you can't just click Play to play a game, you have to click one play button to get an activation key, and then a second to actually play it.

Except what you get after that second play button is a dialog saying Steam is preparing to load the game -- and there is a tick box to say that you want the game to launch as soon as it's ready. What in the world else could you want at this time? You've launched Steam, you've pressed Play twice, it's a fair bet that you want to, you guessed it, launch the game.

Just to be sure, though, it also ignores when you've ticked that box, and instead waits there with a third Play button. Okay. You also have the option to view some updates about something. Uh-huh. If you skip that, you get to a login screen which tells you about updates and various other exciting Elite: Dangerous news items -- and requires you to log in. You've launched the game, press play now three times, but now you have to login. It's not unreasonable that Elite needs you to login so that it can keep track of your various levels and whatever, but after all this we're a pixel away from needing a retina scan and a note from our mom before it will actually play.

Don't bother getting out your login details, though, because once you click on the button it shows you the login screen with all the details you filled out last time already in place, and ready for you to press a second login button. So you've launched the game, pressed Play three times, and now pressed Login twice. Fortunately, that's it, you're in now -- you just have to press Play again.

Steam is just tiresome. If you go to the support page, there's a search box with a typical "Search Steam Support" line already written in there. You know what happens next: you click in that box, and that helpful text instantly goes away to let you type what you want. Not in Steam. Here, you have to delete back to the start or Command-A to select this, and then delete. You'd wonder if anyone had ever used this, or any other support service except if you go into another search field on the same page -- there are two support search boxes on the page, because of course there would be -- that one works correctly.

The act of launching Elite: Dangerous is like playing a tedious game by itself, and if you have any problems, it feels as if the available support is only for people who already know the answer they're looking for. I had a lot of connection issues that I knew were down to my Internet, but I followed Steam's instructions on checking support for "connection time outs" -- and there isn't any. Click on Steam's button that says it will give you advice on connection time outs, and it doesn't. Nothing there.

You can hear how narked this got me, and I'm not proud of that, but this isn't even the game yet. Compare this to the Load New Commander Y/N of the original Elite. Schlepping through this modern version every time means you're not going to dip into Elite: Dangerous for five minutes during a coffee break, and it was enough of a chore that I went from thrilled to have Elite: back to putting off playing it.

Then, even when I wasn't trying to play anything, Steam was annoying me with updates and prompts for something or other that I got on any restart and ignored every time. Steam is a little slice of Windows running on your Mac, and I had thought the name was to do with steampunk, but I see now that it is also something that rises from certain things on the street.

Are we nearly there yet?

Elite: Dangerous running on Steam is definitely great running on bad. There weren't actually any rude words up to this point, but now I'm not even thinking rude words from here to the end. The sole disappointment I had with actually playing Elite: Dangerous is that I couldn't just use a keyboard. There are enough options to power a dozen keyboards, but Elite: Dangerous needs a joystick, and I bought my very first one solely to play it. I like it, it reminds me of when I once had some lessons flying helicopters. Elite is reminding me of my childhood, this joystick is reminding me of my youth in the air, I'm starting to feel ancient. I'm starting to feel like the kind of person who says "back in the day" a lot.

Back in the day, though, I only ever played Elite with a keyboard, and I got so good at it. Right now my fingers go to the right keys to control pitch and yaw, to fire, to dock my ship. Considering that the game was rather simpler then, and considering that you can never check I'm telling you the truth, I'm going to say I was great at this game.

One example: there was then, as there is now, a permanent on-screen display showing the positions of enemy ships, like radar or the DRADIS from Battlestar Galactica. Dots appear on that display long before you can see them out of the ship's windows, yet I was able to spin around, get a line on them, and blast 'em out of space before the BBC Micro had even drawn them.

Reportedly, you can use a keyboard on the new Elite: Dangerous, but I was never able to get the ship out of its landing bay until I bought that joystick. I feel handicapped by using that joystick, yet I have to say that there is one area where it was better to use a stick.

Vertigo

Elite: Dangerous needs you to work through rather a lot of training exercises, before you're let loose on the game as I remember it starts properly. Those exercises are clever: they're mostly enjoyable, and they do teach you how to do many specific things. They also trick you into becoming used to flying this ship, even to becoming quite nimble at it.

That's where the joystick sings. The moment the very first training mission began, I was right back in the past. Not to 1984 and the keyboard of a BBC Micro, but to the cyclic of a Robinson R22 helicopter. Every move you make affects every other control, and your sense of up and down, left and right takes a battering as every move also changes your orientation. Seeing that starfield rolling up was exactly as stomach-punching as seeing the ground and the horizon lurch is in a helicopter for the first time.

I got a bit bored shooting at various enemy vessels. I'm not some gaming pacifist: I had quite a good time trying to blast all hell out of Trevithick Dock for no reason. Shooting successfully takes a lot more precision than I remember, but the lesson you learn on these missions is how to recognize when you've got a positive lock on an enemy. I still don't entirely follow what each targeting dot means, but I can unthinkingly recognize when they mean I should shoot now.

Shoot now

Another different and modern aspect to the game is that you are no longer playing by yourself. Once you get through the training and can step out on your own, you can choose fly your ship across a rather crowded galaxy.

Elite: Dangerous is a space game, with plenty of shoot-em-ups, but it's also a trading one. You start off as a very new pilot in a very cheap starship, and work your way up through ratings rather than layers. You can now even join factions where groups of you presumably pick on other factions. Reportedly, you can be warlike or you can peaceably trade away, though I'm not clear what happens when your peace-loving faction meets combat.

The reason I don't know is partly that I'm still reliving the 1980s, and striking out across the galaxy by myself, looking for opportunities, possibly recreating my famous battles of the past. I've yet to join a faction, that actually feels like far too much hard work.

Elite: Dangerous today is a universe with no ending, and I can now lose a lot of time relishing it. What possibly tells me that I'm still not a gamer is that it hasn't drawn me in to joining other people, or agreeing times to play together. These are fantastic features that were unimaginable in 1984, and are perhaps more familiar today. They're familiar enough that I've heard of multi-user games even from out here, and they're familiar enough that I can appreciate how well Elite: Dangerous does it.

My sole regret with this dip into my own past, and peek into an immeasurably richer Elite, is that it does come with Steam. I'm told that if you have very many games, then all this makes sense, and that by having exactly and only one, I am having to work through more layers than would be necessary. Sure. Four clicks on four different buttons that are all called Play, two Logins, one copying the activation key and I don't think ever having to paste it anywhere, it's Steam that has held me back from playing Elite: Dangerous.

Elite: Dangerous requires OS X 10.10.3 or later, 4GB RAM (8GB recommended), plus a 2.3Ghz quad-core Intel Core i5 CPU or better. We're already bored with specifications, but that's how things roll with games and Steam. Chess never needed an quad anything. Elite: Dangerous officially costs $60, but in the gaming world the price is seemingly less important than the quads. At time of writing, there is a brief sale on the game, giving you 40 percent off, but there is also the promise of further games in a series. Open your wallet, or your purse, and hang on as you head to the store on the official Elite: Dangerous site.

Who is Elite: Dangerous for:
You need plenty of time and some patience to get through Steam. Otherwise, it's a game that rather adapts to you: go exploring, go trading, go join a faction and take on the universe.

Who is Elite: Dangerous not for:
If you don't have a joystick, and a spare decade or two, this isn't for you.

-- William Gallagher (@WGallagher)

Readers: do you have an app that you'd like to see us review? Developers: do you want us to take a look at your app? Send your suggestions to our Tips email.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 23, 2015 at 09:44 AM. )

macdude22
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2015, 12:19 PM

I get that you have journalistic freedom to print whatever you like at MacNN but the pointless diatribe against Steam was completely out of character for an institution of your caliber. Steam prompted me for updates? Like OS X does. Constantly. Hell it's a good day when Apple's app store apple will even load correctly with out requiring a half dozen quit/start cycles of the app. I've never had a lick of trouble with steam, click games, play games. Games with steamworks like Borderlands 2. Hot damn, easy peasy cross platform multiplayer. 75% of this "review" doesn't even pertain to the game being reviewed.

If you have such distain for steam why not just get the game directly from Frontier? You'll still have all the activation codes this and profiles that you can muster, you just won't be able to blame them on steam.

If you want to write an editorial on your like/dislike of steam, fine, put it in another article. But I weep for the youngster that comes across this article and gets the completely wrong impression of Steam. I've been coming to this site since I don't know when, must be 2000 I was still in high school, and this is the first thing I've read that really made me consider removing the site from my daily bookmarks.
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man."

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Sep 23, 2015, 02:36 PM

I don't agree with William's perception of Steam, and he and I talked about that. However, if all you visit are sites who's opinions you agree with, then that's not terrifically rewarding.

Here's your chance, MacDude22. Write me a pro-Steam, anti App Store editorial.

macdude22
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2015, 03:05 PM

I appreciate differing opinions more than most and I'm perfectly ok with anti-steam sentiments. People make lots of logical arguments against steam. It's a monopoly. I don't like the community. gabe has too much power. Trashy early access games. PAID MODS OH THE HORROR. I've heard a lot of arguments, and by and large if you show me your reasoning behind it, great. That decidedly was not the case here.

I'm not really pro/anti any of these services. I've used a lot of them (on multiple platforms), GoG, Origin, Steam, MAS, Intel AppUpp, *shudder* uPlay (ok i'm pretty anti uplay you got me there). But that's sort of ancilary, I came in expecting an Elite Dangerous review and instead found an anti-steam op-ed that really seemed centered on

a. a mis-understanding of how MMOs work (and elite for better or worse is at a minimum MMO lite)
b. internal network issues

Neither of which valve has any control over nor any bearing on the value therein of the game itself.

I personally don't use the MAS a lot at home for games or software but by the nature of my work do use it quite a bit at work and to this day, 5 OS versions later, it is still unstable. And all the radar/applecare tickets to the moon and back haven't seemed to rectify that situation. Here's hoping for 10.11s app store.

I stick by my comments, but I will expound on them. I didn't mean that the opinion "steam is not good" was out of character, rather that the complete lack of logical discourse behind the opinion was. You are the guys that pounded the living hell out of SSDs in your extensive testing, so I hope you'll forgive me if I hold you to a higher standard than buzz feed.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Sep 23, 2015, 03:11 PM

Wait until a year or two from now with the heat testing

William and I are from two entirely different schools of writing. I am by far more the gearhead than he is, and he does the feely stuff like the "OH GOD MY APPLE WATCH IS GONE" kind of thing. For comparison's sake, I reviewed Destiny back in the day, and the SSD testing is mine.

https://www.macnn.com/articles/14/09...pending.60.on/

Thing is, Elite Dangerous is picking up a lot of people who played the original Elite in one form or another, and there's a fair amount of chatter on it. I understand what you're saying about Steam and Frontier directly, but Steam being finicky is worth mentioning, if not perhaps to techies like you and I.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2015, 03:37 PM

As an occasional Steam user myself, I have to say I find myself mostly in agreement with William's comments on the service -- it *is* a bit of Windows on Mac, and about as non-native as a Mac program can get, and it *does* require too many steps (a hallmark of Windows). That said, it makes it possible to play a lot of games that might not otherwise come to Mac, so we put up with this.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

macdude22
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2015, 04:01 PM

I really don't buy that it's as non native as a mac app can get, but maybe I'm tainted. I deal with weird a$$ medical and research programs on a daily basis so if application xyz didn't require xwindows, java, flash, and some obscure library obtained from macports it's a good day.

Is steam as "easy" as the old days stick a cartridge in my NES and go. Arguably no, but it's as easy as anything theses days (that's not to say everything isn't more complex). I'm not sure how they could get the number of steps down. I download an application, I copy it to /Applications. That's pretty par the course. Open the app, create an account if you don't have one, just log in if you do. 2F authentication, par the course, I have to get 2FA 47 times a day to log into GSX so a one time authorization for a specific machine is a step up from Apple in my book. Add my credit card number, ok apple makes me do this. CCV verification for purchases, ok apple asks for this sometimes, or re-authenticate with my Apple ID password. Pound for pound it seems to me the number of steps I have to do in steam to purchase any single game or application say Borderlands 2 is nearly identical to buying it from the MAS (yes there are applications sold via steam, some even have achievements!). Overall given the glaring shortcomings of the MAS and it's periodic flakiness I'd say using Steam is a real treat compared to the Apple alternative. And both of them cake compared to uPlay...........why did ubisoft ever think to make uPlay.

I manage a not insignificantly sized macintosh network for a medium sized research hospital so I'd like to think I have some experience with the gamut of user skill sets and expectations. But I accept that maybe I really am an old hat and the modern Macintosh user just expects apple/icloud/appstore anything outside of that is "too much". I've gifted my mother, who thinks she's amish (with the wood cookstoves to match), solitaire games via steam and she was able to figure it out with no hand holding. I'd like to think she's a pretty good litmus test.

I'll just end with I appreciate the differing opinions but I truly think ya'll are doing the macintosh population a disservice by portraying Steam as some sort of Wandows red headed stepchild we "put up with" when other solutions (including Apple's) are as bad(or good depending on your criteria).
( Last edited by macdude22; Sep 23, 2015 at 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling correction)

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Sep 23, 2015, 04:03 PM

Well, here, counterpoint.

I love me some Steam, and I've got 200+ Mac games on it, ready to go. Some installed, and some only a download away.

macdude22
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2015, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
Well, here, counterpoint.

I love me some Steam, and I've got 200+ Mac games on it, ready to go. Some installed, and some only a download away.

How did you put up with all that hassle

I think we can all agree that the biggest issue with macintosh gaming right now is not mechanisms for obtaining games, we used to live in a world where maybe you got a shelf at Babagges or Walmart. If you were lucky you got a few games via Club Mac mail order. Rather the problem is Apple's lagging drivers and APIs. Open GL 4.1 still, in 10.11! Metal is all well and good, but I'm hearing it is functionally equivalent to OpenGL 3.3. Great for developers to easily port iOS games over to the Mac. Less great for those looking for the next big AAA title to run worth a damn on their Mac.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2015, 05:22 PM

You make some good points there, and I acknowledge that Steam is probably not the most Windows-like Mac program out there (though it probably is among mainstream users who enjoy gaming, and I still say it's much more obtuse than it needs to be).
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules