Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > speeding up N6

speeding up N6
wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2000, 10:29 AM

dunno if this has been posted in this forum before...

"Shawn Freebairn offered a tip said to improve performance dramatically:

"Well I too have had the same slow experience. So I decided to find out why it was slow. Guess what? If you go to the edit menu and select preferences, in there it has a menu selection entitled 'debug.' Select it and you will find that 2 or 3 of the video redering capabilities come defaulted to debug mode. Turn these off and voila!!! the mac slider bars come back and the browser becomes twice as fast and runs a lot more stable. I have been using netscape 6 for about a week now 5 hours a night and found that with debug off it is currently just as fast as ie 5 if not a tad faster. I have it on my hard drive too. And is a LOT faster than Netscape 4.7.2."

from macintouch

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2000, 08:39 PM

wow it is now SO MUCH more usable....!

mkg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2000, 02:57 PM

I must say, the more you tweak around in Netscape 6, the better it looks.

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Apr 13, 2000, 10:28 PM

Wow, this is much better....

Netscape is my favorite browser again ;]

thanx man
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

lolajl
Apr 14, 2000, 09:41 AM

Which begs the question, why didn't anyone remember to check the debug section and turn these selections off before packing it up for public release?

There wouldn't be so many negative comments about its sluggishness if this simple step had been done beforehand.

Lola

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2000, 09:54 AM

on target, Lola

ouch... just another reason netscape is maddening... let's remember some history: remember that ObjectSupportLib file installed by Netscape installers long past the time that ObjectSupportLib became hurtful to MacOS, or how about the notorious Mercutio deficiency whereby Netscape refused to use the newest MDEF resource which would have brought their menus into near-complete MacOS platinum compliance but NO they let us have BLACK and WHITE menus instead...

gawd i hate netscape

WebGuyCS
Apr 14, 2000, 04:16 PM

I interpreted these switches differently. For instance, the graphical scroll bar is the default, and will be the default, for Netscape 6.0. By turning it off, you are actually entering a debug mode, not leaving one.

The problem is that the default is unusable. This thing really needs to be sped up.

FrodoB
Apr 15, 2000, 11:28 PM

WebGuyCS is correct.... Gfx scrollbars (the ones that you actually disabled by using the Debug option) will be the default in Netscape 6. Fortunately, performance work is going to be specifically aimed at speeding them up and also making them styled so they look like MacOS widgets. But the native code is only temporarily there, and it is indeed a debug mode (Netscape can't afford to maintain native interfaces on three separate major platforms anymore).

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2000, 02:26 AM

Didn't anyone learn from the Microsoft Office 4.2 incident? Mac users want a Mac interface.

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2000, 01:45 PM

I had just recently picked up the latest release of mozilla m16, the nightly builds. Interesting enough, the 2 options were checked in the debug prefrences and it did not slow anything down! So I would assume that they are working on this now...

Forum Links
Forum Rules