Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Pathintosh?

Pathintosh?
Catalyst236
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2002, 12:54 AM

You may have already seen this, but I came accross this site while searching for something else.

web page

He's got what appears to be a touch screen LCD driven by a Powerbook that can be docked in the back. The controls are on the steering wheel.

Kinda cool....
"I need a space with blue skies, that I can see the sun every day, alright....that I have nice weather....that I can just have nice water, you know....to dive, to swimming. It means a tropical country, not an island....a cold one. It's easy, any part of the world, but hot. Name it and I go."- The Lion

waffffffle
Mac Elite
May 9, 2002, 02:55 AM

I really wanted to do this last year. I have a 5300ce that I wanted to use in my 2000 Celica. However I gave up on the idea. The 5300 isn't all that great of a computer to do it with. Plus using it in OS 9 would be a pain since I'll have to wait for the thing to boot and/or wake sleep. Maybe in a couple of years there will be iBook 500s on the cheap. They would be perfect for this job. The 12in screen may actually fit nicely in some larger cars (my car is far from large).

Here's hoping that Apple makes a car stereo that lets you slide your iPod into it and it uses the FW port to export the display to the car stereo's display.

Hey, we all can dream.

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
May 9, 2002, 03:25 AM

It's been posted before but not for a long time!!!!

Distortions
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2002, 02:36 AM

Here's hoping that Apple makes a car stereo that lets you slide your iPod into it and it uses the FW port to export the display to the car stereo's display.
You could always just get a headphone to cassette adapter.

Or, just open the stereo up and hook up to the amplifier chip input pins and leave a headphone jack hanging out the front. Just set the volume at about 1/4 (thats usually somewhere around line-level for most amped headphone outputs). Although, there might be some quality loss to an impedance mismatch.

Have fun.

Forum Links
Forum Rules