Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > RTCW - MP, can't see any servers. Argh, so long since BeachTest!!!!

RTCW - MP, can't see any servers. Argh, so long since BeachTest!!!!
hypermac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2002, 11:11 PM

Finally went out to CompUSA and bought a copy of Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I was worried that with an iMac 600 (ATI Rage Ultra, 16MB RAM) it would be laggy.

Well, under OS 9.22 I could not initialize the game. I get an error that says something about PixelFormat failed, then it says OpenGL failed to initialize. So I tried OS X (10.1.2), and voila, it runs very well. I have to turn down some settings to make it a bit less laggy, but so far so good.

Only remaining problem: Can not see servers in MP game. I know we are waiting for patch to 1.31, but according to Aspyr, we can still see and play with those running versions prior to this. Any other experiences out there? Are people getting to at least play vs. Mac players? Single player is fine, but I bought it for multiplayer! Are any Mac folks playing multi-player?
hypermac

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2002, 11:23 AM

Make sure you choose "Internet" games and then just press "Get New List"...

Not sure if you've tried this, but if you haven't this might do it...
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

Colonel Panic
Senior User
May 6, 2002, 11:30 AM

I thought we were shy a point release to use MP?

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2002, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
<STRONG>I thought we were shy a point release to use MP?</STRONG>
Well, not everyone out there has updated their Wolf so we can play with these people...I'm in north cali and I see a lot servers....
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

Colonel Panic
Senior User
May 6, 2002, 11:57 AM

interesting. i currently see 0 when looking for servers. i'm in new york. probably for the better for now, give me time to play SP and suck less when the point release comes and opens the doors to more servers.

hypermac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2002, 12:56 PM

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Make sure you choose "Internet" games and then just press "Get New List"...

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Not sure if you've tried this, but if you haven't this might do it...

Yep, tried, that, including filters. I played test 2 a lot. But I can not see any servers (can't wait for 1.31). Maybe I reconfigured my firewall. I will try that. Thanks Brown. BTW, I am also in No. Cal.
hypermac

greggers
Forum Regular
May 6, 2002, 01:30 PM

It won't be possible to play MP with PC's until the anti-cheating software is ported to the mac version and the PC-Mac versions are the same.

I also guess that no-one is running a mac MP server (is that even possible??).

Just what I heard.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Just out for a drive.............

hypermac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2002, 03:03 PM

You should be able to run a mac server. The option is there, under MP, create server (have to create one for the internet). I don't know if there are any issues with being one version behind (1.1 vs. 1.31). But Brown said he could see other servers with 1.1, so I will disable my firewall and see if that is it.
hypermac

Ldog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2002, 06:01 PM

I'm in Chicago, and I've been playing MP on my Mac since I opened the box. I have lots of servers to choose from (more than can fit on my screen at one time, so I have to scroll to find the best pings). There are so many players that I can't believe they're all Mac users (wouldn't that be great? ), but maybe they are. Sorry I don't have any suggestions for fixing your problem, but I thought the information might be helpful.

By they way, the new MP maps are great! Most of them are from the SP game, but they are tons of fun to play MP. They are big, and it takes quite awhile to learn your way around and figure out the objectives.

Good luck getting it set up!
G5 1.8 single processor, Jaguar
2 big dogs

hypermac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2002, 09:37 PM

Thanks LDog and all. The problem was the firewall I put up after Test 2 and before buying RTCW Retail. Disabled BrickHouse (firewall), and now all servers show up. Now I have to tweek it so it does not lag on this Rage Ultra (have to get tower and real graphics card soon).

Any ideas on what to type to display FPS in console? I am happy that I can play it with this G3 iMac, though not as smooth as it would be with recommended hardware.
hypermac

hypermac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2002, 02:56 AM

Final update I think. Servers up, all working well. Except, the big maps make the iMac's Rage Ultra 16MB lag. It is time to either get new iMac or better yet, G4 tower with upgradable AGP slot. The ole' beach invasion is still quite playable though.
hypermac

schwa
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2002, 10:12 AM

Anyone know what port Wolf MP runs on? I couldn't see any servers until I exposed my Mac's butt to the world.

Axel
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2002, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by schwa:
<STRONG>Anyone know what port Wolf MP runs on? I couldn't see any servers until I exposed my Mac's butt to the world.</STRONG>
Looking for that one too. Somebody please answer !

hypermac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2002, 01:24 AM

For Schwa and Axel. From the read me file for RTCW:

"2. Issues When Using Firewall Software:
=======================================

If you are using firewall software such as Zone Alarm and you are experiencing problems, make sure your firewall software is set to allow UDP packets through on ports 27950 and 27960. These are the ports that Return to Castle Wolfenstein uses for connection, message of the day, server browsing, and so forth."

Sadly, I am again having trouble seeing any servers, after playing for many days very successfully. I have disabled my software firewall, and allowed the above ports in hardware firewall, and it used to work, but no longer. I even tried turning off hardware based firewall, but no luck. It just quit working one day. I have an email out to aspyr regarding that. But it was fun (on small maps) when it worked!
hypermac

BMWDrum
Forum Regular
May 14, 2002, 01:49 PM

Does anybody know....

What is the best Mac "specific" RTCW site out there???....When I goto the regular sites, I never see any mention of Macs at all, all Winblows and Linux info...
Some days you're the dog, and some days you're the hydrant.

iamnid
Senior User
May 17, 2002, 12:37 AM

to the original poster -- you really should try to get rtcw running under os 9 on your iMac -- you're likely to see much better performance.

hypermac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2002, 02:27 AM

iamnid wrote:

to the original poster -- you really should try to get rtcw running under os 9 on your iMac -- you're likely to see much better performance.

Yep, but I am having a problem with OS 9 and loading OpenGL. I have 9.2.2 but when I try to start RTCW, I get two error messages. The first one says something concerning a pixel problems, the second states that it could not start OpenGL. I asked Aspyr, but their suggestion (make sure nVidia extensions not loaded in extensions folder) were not true in my computer. Any other suggestions?
hypermac

Forum Links
Forum Rules