Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Is it me or is Rogue Spear MP *Really* Crashy

Is it me or is Rogue Spear MP *Really* Crashy
altoid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2001, 11:36 AM

It seems everyone I play w/ on a regular basis on Game Ranger is crashing - A LOT! It's rare that me and my buddies get thru 3 full games w/out someone crashing.

Seems to happen to me when i'm coming out of rull screen map mode, opening a door or the first few milisecons of encountering a bad guy. Heh, those things go on about 80% of the game, so I dunno what exactly is causing it. I stopped using full screen map mode which *seems* to help, but I know we're all still crashing all the time.

We could sure use a patch.

altoid  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2001, 04:38 PM

Anyone else having this problem w/ Rogue Spear MP (MultiPlayer)?

jnunez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2001, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by altoid:
Anyone else having this problem w/ Rogue Spear MP (MultiPlayer)?
Is this just happening with Gameranger or does it happen with a LAN games as well.

altoid  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2001, 08:05 PM

Ya know that's a good question.

Most of our games have been on GR, mb 98%. Of the 4 or 5 we played on IP I recall some crashing. But we'de have to test on that to figure it out.

I'll do that and post again.

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2001, 12:16 PM

I play RS pretty regularly in GR (look me up: Celo) and I must say that the game's network code is definetelly buggy. But not as much as you say. I can usually play for a couple of hours before a crash but it all depends on the other players. There seems to be a serious memory leak problem, since every server will eventually crash...(by the way, those guns with 100+clips will make the game crash more often).

But its definetelly usable, though annoying....

Can MacSoft please realease a patch to fix networking code???
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

jnunez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2001, 10:44 PM

Just purchased 6 copies of Rogue Spear for the Mac and 2 for the PC and will be holding a game night this weekend! Should I host the server on a PC or A Mac? All the Macs are G4s and the PC's are PIII (old). Is there any way to setup up a dedicated server? Any way to play using the old Rainbow Six maps?

Thanks
J

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2001, 02:07 PM

Hey Jnunez,
sounds like you will be having fun.
Just to give you a heads up, the latest PC version is 2.52 while the Mac's is the equivalent of 2.50. This means that IF you install the very latest PC version, the Mac and PC won't play with each other.
Otherwise, set up the best computer as the server and all the others should be able to connect to its IP address.
Also, try to play with us at GameRanger. Get the 4 macs online together and open a server in GR (to get GR, goto gameranger.com)

Look me up there (username: Celo)

Have fun...
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2001, 02:08 PM

Oh...i forgot...RS also has some of the Classic R6 maps to play with...

jnunez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2001, 12:28 AM

Thanks for the invite Celo but with Rainbow Six we weren't able to allow internet players to connect over the firewall. With our new network provider coming in to rewire in two weeks we will be able to request open ports to my Test PC (For Application Testing Purposes, of course). I'll set up a game then and will take you up on your challenge. Do you have 3 other players to play us 4x4? Note: We have 2 Rogue Spear Vets on the PC side and the rest are Mac Newbies. Can a PC host a game on GR? or is there a way to publish a PC Rogue Spear game on GR?

Thanks
jnunez

altoid  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2001, 12:41 PM

Well, I have not been able to get enough ppl together to test an IP game connection for any good length of time - everyone finds Game Ranger too convenient.

I gotta tell ya tho, the problem seems to be in RS, not w/ Game Ranger, only because I notice that when some sound file start to play (like those auto-opening doors) thats when a crash happens.

The review here at games.macnn.com of RS also mentioned that RS has stability problems, so I'm taking that as a light 2nd source confermation.

Anyway... I think we could really *really* use a patch for it... We love the game and, honestly, ppl will keep playing it, but it's a real buzz kill for ppl to be crashing all the time. And there are some in my clan who have refused to buy because they cannot even get the demo to run reliabley

jnunez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2001, 03:47 PM

Well my Rogue Spear Game Night stunk!!!

I had purchased 2 new copies of the PC version which comes with the Updates already installed!!!!

Constant problems on various G4s throughout the office!!!

One example:
G4 with 128MB RAM and minimized extension set, click on Multiplayer would take 1 to 2 minutes to get to the next screen and the same amount of time to join or server a game.

But with another machine everything runs thru ok until 1 minute into the game it locks up.

The next G4 would lock up at the Waiting screen!

The Next G4 played perfectly throughout the night!

My G4 cube just kept taking naps (this is not due to the game but to it's Cronic Fatigue Syndrome.

altoid  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2001, 06:12 PM

Jnunez sorry to hear yer night was so frustrating.

The only thing I can offer that might help is on the G4 that took a long time to load when u clicked on Multiplayer... I had the same problem when I clicked on multiplayer or if I tried to host a game - it would take about 3 mins to get to pregrame screen.

I found that I had a DNS host name in the "Additional Search domains:" box in TCP/IP control panel (which I was instructed to put there by my ISP). Removing the domain name completely fixed the problem (and did not affect my ability to access the web or other Internet services). I assume the reason it took so long to get the game up was due to waisted time searching that domain.

For what that's worth to you at this point, i don't know... but there it is

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2001, 02:38 AM

I had the same issue that you did Jnunez, and altoids solution worked for me too.

As far as your g4s causing trouble, RS does that. It seems that each installation can act differently (Falcon 4 has the same problem), so you kinda have to install until its running fine...luckily I've only had to do it twice. Also, you *definetelly* should reinstall the latest OpenGL drivers from Apple, and maintain your extension set to a minimum. Ram is always an issue...

Sorry to hear about your PC copies being the most up to date. Hopefully the Macs will have a patch released very soon...

To play in GR, we definetelly will find more ppl to play 4x4..or 5x5, or even more. You'll find yourself playing for hours and hours...its fun once you get good enough to stop dying....

Also check this site for news and other info... http://www.planetrainbowsix.com/damnr6/start.html

Dont give up!!!!

Celo

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2001, 02:40 AM

I keep forgetting things...

About your firewall...I know players that do play from behind their firewalls, both software and hardware (some play from Universities which have professional firewalls), so it should be possible. There is a setting in RS that should enable this (I think its in options/MP game).

jnunez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2001, 08:54 PM

I think I will remove the Additional Search Domain... It makes sense!!!

I now have 2 perfectly working G4's. I don't really know what did it but I ran Norton Utilities, DiskWarrior, Disk FirstAid, zapped the PRAM and Rebuilt the Desktop. My cube is on it's way to the repair shop and that will make it 3. I need to get 1 more G4s and a G3 up and running.

Dying for the Mac Patch for PC Networking.

Thanks
John Nunez

Almost forgot... Firewall issue is no more... I have full control by the end of the week!!!

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2001, 02:05 PM

Are you playing in Gameranger yet???

jnunez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2001, 10:22 PM

I can't... [brace yourself] at home I have a PC.

My Beige G3 is currently being used as a prototype for a project which will will be finished within the next 3 months.

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2001, 12:27 PM

tsc, tsc....

Forum Links
Forum Rules