Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > how do i define the localhost name for sendmail?

how do i define the localhost name for sendmail?
pcp_ip
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2001, 10:17 PM

How do i define the localhost name for sendmail? sendmail takes over a minute to mail...checking overseer and the console it appears sendmail can't figureout my domain name, and keeps trying until it finally gives up. all of this is taking forever for it to finally mail. i have a domain assigned to the machines IP, so I'm not sure what to do. Not know much about sendmail- can I define my domain in a config file somewhere?

my console output:
Apr 1 23:07:05 localhost sendmail[406]: My unqualified host name (localhost) unknown; sleeping for retry

Apr 1 23:08:06 localhost sendmail[406]: unable to qualify my own domain name (localhost) -- using short name

Apr 1 23:08:07 localhost sendmail[409]: My unqualified host name (localhost) unknown; sleeping for retry

Apr 1 23:09:07 localhost sendmail[409]: unable to qualify my own domain name (localhost) -- using short name

------------------
www.studio2f.com

pcp_ip  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2001, 11:09 PM

nevermind... just figured out i needed to define the hostname in the terminal...

------------------
www.studio2f.com

altoid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2001, 09:52 PM

Glad you figured it out.

Could u clarify for the me exactly what you did? Where do you define the host name? I have these same errors reported in mail.log and would love to find a fix.

Thanks

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2001, 05:31 AM

Then search these fora for the answer. We have gone over this issue many times in the last month. (Please always search before posting. Signal high; noise low.)

------------------
Since EBCDIC
Make every post count!
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

altoid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2001, 08:58 AM

Thanks for that 'helpful' response Since, but I did search the OSX usage and support forums and I've read every message with the word "sendmail" in the body. I have seen that several ppl have mentioned adding the hostname to the /etc/hostconfig file and I've done that, but that did not solve the problem. Those previous posts also helped me clear up that annoying Group Writable Directory problem that kep coming up. However, I have to find a way to get rid of the "sleep for retry" problem that is adding a full minute to my boot time.

Because this was the one post that dealt specifically with that issue, I posted my question here, in an effort to keep the noise low

pcp_ip, could u please post how you fixed this?

pahroza
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2001, 11:43 AM

Searching for sendmail isn't going to help too much, you'd have to search for hostname. Anyhow. The way you can get your localhost name defined. say for example your hostname is client00000.isp.net, you should edit /etc/hostconfig and change the line that reads HOSTNAME=-AUTOMATIC to read HOSTNAME=client00000.isp.net

You'll need to be su'd to root to modify this file, it may not take effect until restart for the whole system to notice the change, but if you start up sendmail, then sendmail ought to see it. If not, as root type the following into the terminal without the quotes "hostname client00000.isp.net"

I typically start up sendmail this way: sendmail -bd -q30m

Anyone have better params to start sendmail?

grease
Apr 22, 2001, 11:51 PM

I'm glad to see that this topic has cropped up again, and again, and again. It serves as a barometer for the IQ of our community when we rehash crap like this all the time. And, it gives me a reason to act like a bit of a troll.

Seriously, try the search mechanism before asking. Just typing localhose in 'Usage & Support' results in 68 threads. Limiting this to 'Subject Only' results in 5, 3 of which are absolutely relevant to the original poster.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 23, 2001, 12:58 AM

You don't have to be a whore... really you don't.

Many people don't think to search the forums before they post. Either they see what they're after or they post. I've done it too. Now that people have talked about searching, I probably will. But that doesn't mean the first time someone suggests the search feature they have to be a "troll."

Why don't you search the forums on how not to be an ass. You'd probably get some relevant searches and then you can take the advice. Don't help people at all if you can't at least be nice about it.

I understand that you want people to search before repeating posts over and over and over. Fine... that's a good idea. But you don't have to insult the intelligence of people to do it. You don't have to post at all for that matter. The only reason you are posting is to help... so do that instead of pissing people off.

------------------

grease
Apr 23, 2001, 10:55 AM

Yes. I see that you have been following that advice yourself...

This topic comes up about every fourth day. I would think that someone who has made thirty-something posts would be aware of search. Sure my response was acidic, but my cynicism was getting the better (or worst) of me last night. So it goes.

altoid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2001, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by grease:
I'm glad to see that this topic has cropped up again, and again, and again. It serves as a barometer for the IQ of our community when we rehash crap like this all the time. And, it gives me a reason to act like a bit of a troll.

Seriously, try the search mechanism before asking. Just typing localhose in 'Usage & Support' results in 68 threads. Limiting this to 'Subject Only' results in 5, 3 of which are absolutely relevant to the original poster.
Ya know if I thought I would find these kind of uptight responses I would have defended my question before asking it... but I don't think I should have to do that.

Second grease, if you read the very thread you were reponding to, you would have read that I already changed the hostconfig file to reflect my host name and that that did not solve the problem. That is why I was asking for clarification of what pcp_ip meant by "define host name in the terminal". I suspect he meant changing the hostconfig file, but, unlike some ppl posting in this thread, I know what happens when you assume.

Furthermore, if you bothered to read the very thread you were responding to, you would have read that I did use the search function before posting my question.

I sense that some of you are frustrated over how some ppl use the forum, how they post and ask questions before putting in some effort to find their answer. I don't appreciate this kind of thing either because I think it's lazy and I think that anyone who wants to learn should make some effort at it - in this case by searchig the forum first. But do me a favor... don't take it out on random ppl. Obviously in this case you have acted like a total ass to me and I'm not the kind of person that should be a target of your frustration.

On the subject, I have a gripe about some kinds of forum users too. I think if ppl can't read the thread they are responding to they are just as bad as ppl who don't use the search function to find their answer.

[email protected]
Senior User
Jun 1, 2001, 03:02 AM

ya, well, so,

i did search under sendmail and hostname, but i was wondering if someone had a hint about using /etc/mail/sendmail.cf to set the hostname to use for cli-mail. i have my hostconfig file set to my preferred short host name, just like my sgi. i want sendmail to get the full name from its own config file.

# my official domain name
# ... define this only if sendmail cannot automatically determine your domain

...like i set my smtp server in...

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DSmail.earthlink.net

flame me not, i searched, i read 200 subjects, many messages, i did not find. if i missed it, send me an URL and a kiss...

howardm4
Senior User
Jun 1, 2001, 07:05 AM

In the normal Unix world, you would do the following to force the
issue in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

The fully qual'd name is the concat of the short hostname and the domain.
The domain would be in the /etc/resolv.conf as 'domain xyz.com'

The hostname is sort of implementation dependent (Solaris does it in /etc/hostname.le0 (the le0 is the ethernet interface).

So, you might want to try putting the domain in /etc/resolv.conf but honestly, I would expect Netinfo to thwart you.

In sendmail.cf, the following works assuming
(your hostname = foo)
(your domain = bar.com)

Dwfoo
Dmbar.com
Dj$w.$m

You'll notice that the stock sendmail.cf already probably defines
the $w and $m variable as 'localhost' and 'Foo.com' but the Dm is
commented out.

If your going to mess w/ sendmail much, you should REALLY get the OReilly
book.

Forum Links