Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Photoshop or Fireworks for (light) photo-editing?

Photoshop or Fireworks for (light) photo-editing?
Scott Mackey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2002, 11:14 AM

I'm a bit new here, so I hope I am posting this in the correct place.

Anyhow, I am going to be purchasing a Mac at the end of this summer (before Fall semester starts). I have never had my own computer before, but I do have a digital camera that I have been using with my roommate's PC. He has Photoshop Elements which is a very nice program that I've been using to edit my pictures and stuff.

Now when I get my new Mac, I probably be using mostly OS X. Photoshop Elements, as it seems, is only available for OS 9. So I am wondering if I should go ahead and purchase the full Adobe Photoshop 7, or Macromedia Fireworks MX? Or is there a Photoshop Elements on it's way to OS X? Is Fireworks a good program to do light photoediting?

Thanks for your time and for any insight!

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
May 27, 2002, 12:33 PM

Well, if all you are doing is *light* photo editing then blowing the whole kit and kaboodle on photoshop is a little excessive. Yes, there is no doubt a phshop elements on its way to X. Its just a matter of when. Fireworks is a good alternative, as is Graphic Converter and Gimp (if you want the hassel of x windows) I think that, unless you are getting a deal with buying software with the comp, then you should download the demos of all of them and see which serves your purposes best. You may realize that you can get away with the Uber-Cheap� Graphic Converter or maybe even the Free-n-Ugly� Gimp. But then again maybe you need the heavy lifting of pshop or fireworks.

Try em out, see if you like. A quick search or two at Versiontracker will yield results for you.

melanie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2002, 02:19 PM

I wouldn't even list Fireworks as a photo editor. I would use Photoshop (find a college student or teacher who can get it for you at education pricing of $275 ). Photoshop Elements is great for the cost conscious.
melanie
melanie

Scott Mackey  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2002, 01:09 AM

Fireworks isn't good for photos? Mind if I ask why?

I have tried Graphic Converter, and it seemed decent enough. I think, however, that I'll wait for Photoshop Elements to come out. I'm a student and can get Photoshop for $275 or whatever, but that's still a lot of chedder to be dropping on something I will be using only ocassionally.

Thanks for your opinions!

zilmer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2002, 05:19 AM

I'd say Photoshop (if you have the resources to buy it). But I wouldn't rule Fireworks totally out. They have improved the photo-editing in MX version remarkably and for a website graphics it is absolutely OK to use their software. If it's for the print... then go for Photoshop.

funkboy
Professional Poster
May 28, 2002, 01:11 PM

If you're going to do print work, I'd suggest Photoshop. I really haven't played with FWMX yet, but Photoshop has stuff like adjustment layers, and is just built for print and photos in general much more than FireWorks. If you want to do web site design, though, go FireWorks, I absolutely love it, I use nothing else. Photoshop only comes out when I'm editing photos, which I then, after finishing touching up in Photoshop, usually bring them into FireWorks or Illustrator or whatever.

zilmer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2002, 05:32 PM

Absolutely agree with funkboy. Fireworks is damn handy when it comes to web layouting. Much better than ImageReady. But for print - go Photoshop!

RogerM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2002, 06:57 PM

Since you use Photo Elements, you know it does well. Did you know it has 90% of the Photoshop functionality? Mostly, the CYMK stuff is missing. If you're going professional and toward printing, you may need that. Otherwise stick with what you know and have.
RogerM

Scott Mackey  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2002, 09:44 AM

Cool, cool. I'll just wait until Photoshop Elements comes out for OS X. Does anyone know when that could/should be?

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2002, 01:08 AM

Rumor is Adobe's trying to get it out and Carbonized ASAP.
I'm expecting it out really soon. And once they get it carbnoized.. I"M SOO GETTING IT!
That and Fireworks MX.

Photoshop elements kicks BUTT for the price tag.
I'm a hard core macromedia head, but I won't touch photos with Fireworks except for optomizing.
Fireworks is an amazing program for things like vector work and stuff like that, but as far as doing like photo retouching, the ligher weight elements or the full photoshop do a MUCH better job.
Simply cause Fireworks isn't designed to do Photos for another really other than optomizing and intigrating with site designs.
But like has been said before while Fireworks seriously kicks butt, it's not designed for Photoshop.

Great program if you wanna add beveled devil horns to your friends heads. But if you want to do real stuff like levels and such, wait the month or a few till Photoshop Elements comes out.

Anyway what kinda Mac are you getting?

Forum Links
Forum Rules