Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Need Help with Memory! urgent!

Need Help with Memory! urgent!
MikeD
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 1999, 03:04 AM

I just got this 128 meg module from Memory 2 go and as easy as the new iMac is to install RAM, things went wrong. At first, after I followed Apple's instructions on installation, the computer started up okay and displayed 192 megs of RAM in the "about this computer" window. However, after that, problems came up. First, I couldn't open AOL. I kept getting an error message. I reinstalled aol and restarted... The next time, it started up okay. So now I'm on the internet but now netscape said there was problems.. Something about a interfaceLIB or something like that. I had no idea what was happening. Just for the heck of it, I tried opening Microsoft word 98 and I got the same message. Soon my computer froze. I reinstalled system software and then did all sorts of other stuff like deleting the finder prefs. Nothing worked.. Oh yeah, the next bad things that happened were that whenever I started, I got unimplemented traps when the ATI set would launch.. I disabled them and restasrted.. then the quicktime had an unimplemented trap.. So many probs! I even tried switching the RAM possitions between the 64 megs and the 128.. (64 originally on top) didn't work. So now I'm back to my good ole WORKING 64 meg config with my 128 meg module sitting in its cute little silver bag next to me! What can I do? I really need help and want to get this totally up and running fully the way I want it as soon as possible. First thing though i should call memory 2go right? I'll do that tomorrow. But what should I say? "you memory stinks!"? What could be possible problems? This too is a learning experience as I've never had any real memory problems like this in the past causing me so much grief! I'd be VERY appreciative if someone would care to help me out. Oh yeah, another thing is that the memory sent to me and that I ordered off of their web page is for the "new iMac" It's even on a sticker on the memory pouch and it is PC100. Hope this helps somewhat.

Thanks,
A fellow iMac user
Mike

[This message has been edited by MikeD (edited 11-03-1999).]
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 1999, 06:30 AM

Well, you didnt say where you bought it, but if i were you this is the plan of action.

From the symptoms described, sounds like the ram might of the right kind, but maybe its just bad, that can happen.

Call the company, and ask about there defective ram return policu. Follow the instructions they give you, and then make sure you have them double check there sedning you the right ram, by telling then what mac model you have. Lemme know how it goes.

------------------
-See Yea!

MikeD  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 1999, 10:31 AM

Yeah, I got my RAM from Memory To Go. I will call them later to find out their exact specs of the RAM and tell them about my problem. Hopefully they will pay for me to ship this one back to them!! I'm worried that they are selling RAM that's possibly buffered or something... I don't know but will let you know what happens later this afternoon.

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

joeyzr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 1999, 06:29 PM

For the record too, I got my RevB a 128MB RAM chip and a 64MB chip for my sister's RevD from Memory To Go last December and both were flawless. They have good prices and we had no problems. But I hope they have good customer service to help you out too.
joeyzr

llhooker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2001, 11:13 AM

Had almost the same problems as you are having. Got my 64 mg. ram from Other World Computing. The tech said the ram was defective and to send it back. I did and the new module they sent presented the same problems. The tech advised the ram I sent back the first time checked out Ok. He said that there must be some incompatabiliy that they are not aware of and they would just have to give me a refund. I guess I'll just have to try buying ram somewhere else and see if it reacts any different.
L.H.
LES

Forum Links
Forum Rules