Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > hard drive upgrade for Rev. B

hard drive upgrade for Rev. B
ge0desic
Nov 1, 1999, 11:46 AM

i want to upgrade my Rev. B harddrive and am looking for something speedier (7200 RPM) and larger (>10G). my question is this: can i use a Ultra 66 Mhz hard drive in the Rev B. which is running Ultra 33 Mhz? i know that in the PeeCee that one has to download a fix to slow the drive down. please tell me that our superior apple product can do this on the fly.

thanx

Wetsponge
Nov 1, 1999, 02:13 PM

why spend more money on an ATA 66, when you can get a 7200rpm ATA 33?

ge0desic
Nov 2, 1999, 04:53 PM

do you have a model number. the computer store where i have "credit" does not carry any of the Ultra 33 HD's

ge0desic
Nov 2, 1999, 05:01 PM

let me rephrase, they arent carrying any of the 7200rpm Ultra 33's. in either case, that still doesnt answer my question.

Wetsponge
Nov 2, 1999, 11:30 PM

my point is that i don't think "our superior system" can rev down a drive "on the fly," it would be more expensive to purchase an ATA 66 than a comparable ATA 33.

Heman
Nov 3, 1999, 09:26 AM

the ATA66 HDD will work fine, and actually a bit faster. I've never heard of that PeeCee's need to download a fix to slow the HDD. the design of the ATA66 HDD is backward compatible with ATA33. I have a 10G IBM 7200 ata66 in my B&W350. which is after than the stock one.

BTW, there is little difference as far as the price is concerned, 5 bucks maybe.
Powerbook G4 15" Alu 1.33GHz 768MB, combo Drive

Wetsponge
Nov 3, 1999, 04:02 PM

i stand humbled in heman's presence.

joeyzr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 1999, 06:09 PM

I am looking to upgrade HD soon on my RevB as well, but am not up-to-speed (pardon the pun) on these ATA, Ultra and other terms.

I have read that the drive needs to be IDE or EIDE. What does Ultra and ATA have to do with it? Please help. Size matters.

Thanks.
joeyzr

Forum Links
Forum Rules