Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Rev. A and more than 128 MB RAM

Rev. A and more than 128 MB RAM
James Z
Nov 4, 1999, 03:27 PM

I know that Apple says the RAM Limit on Rev A iMacs is 128, but I think this statement was made before 128s were availible in the Low Profile design. I have 64 MB in my top RAM slot, and the stock 32 in the bottom. I want to add a Low Profile 128 MB Strip in the lower slot, this should work shouldn't it? I am sure there is somebody out there with a Rev. A and more than 128 MB, maybe even as much as 256 MB. Please just tell me about it. Thanks.

rgbrock1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 1999, 04:03 PM

Hi.

I have 160MB RAM in my Rev. A iMac and it works just fine. I put a 128MB DIMM in the lower slot and, voila, 160MB.
However, it is not easy to install the DIMM as you must take the iMac apart. Once this is done the rest is easy.
Go for it!

regards

------------------
Richard G. Brock
[email protected]
| | The 1999 NY Yankees | |
| | World Champions | |
Richard G. Brock
[email protected]

joeyzr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 1999, 06:00 PM

I have a Rev. B with 32MB on the bottom slot and 128MB on top. I did not mess with the bottom slot for fear that the RAM under there was a unique size and higher priced kind of chip. I can't recall where I got that impression, but it, along with the voiding of my warranty for messing with the bottom slot, was enough to keep me out of there. Am I incorrect?
joeyzr

Forum Links
Forum Rules