Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cable Modem

Cable Modem
trek2008
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2002, 02:21 AM

This may be a stupid question. But if I took my cable modem to another state, would I still be able to get online?
I have an MacBook, 15" monitor, 1 GIG ram, 120 gig internal hard drive, 500 gig external hard drive, and an iMac with 40 gig internal hard drive with iSight web cam. Using Mac OS 10.5 Leopard

alphamatrix
Senior User
Jul 4, 2002, 02:40 AM

nope, i dont think so, i've never had a cable connection before so i could be wrong.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2002, 02:54 AM

It depends. If you're going on vacation, then no way.

But if you're moving it's a different story. If your cable modem is DOCSIS compatible (and most are), you should be able to use it anywhere. DOCSIS compatibility is the standard protocol for the cable modem industry. I believe the latest is DOCSIS 1.1, and 2.0 is around the corner.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2002, 03:54 AM

Obviously, you'll need to have cable Internet "installed" at the location you're going to stay at. You can't bring the modem with you to connect to a hotel's coaxial cable.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2002, 08:10 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by seanyepez:
<strong>Obviously, you'll need to have cable Internet "installed" at the location you're going to stay at. You can't bring the modem with you to connect to a hotel's coaxial cable. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Doesn't the Modem belong to your local Cable co?
The rental is usually bundled in with your line charges. (mine is anyway, It was part of the payment agrement I signed.

Raman
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2002, 12:33 PM

The cable would have to be pretty long and cars would run over it on the highways and stuff.

A good bet is to get cablemodem service with your local cable co in your new location.

nealconner
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2002, 02:17 PM

I know that Comcast, at least used to, offer dial up connexions with your account.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2002, 04:47 PM

As for who owns the cable modem, it varies. Some ISPs insist that you rent their modems. Others allow you to buy your own personal unit.
If you rent from the ISP and take off with their modem, they won't refund your deposit. And they might even file charges against you, if they're feeling p*ssy.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Montezuma58
Senior User
Jul 4, 2002, 04:49 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
<strong>Doesn't the Modem belong to your local Cable co?
The rental is usually bundled in with your line charges. (mine is anyway, It was part of the payment agrement I signed.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Most cable companies will let you use your own modem. But they might only be willing to support certain brand or models. All of them will gladly rent you a modem. If you're not locked in to the rental by contract you could most likely use your own equipment. It just depends on what the cable company charges for the rental as to wheter or not its worth buying your own. My cable company charges $9/month for rental. I just purchased my own modem for $80 at Best Buy if it lasts 9 months it will have paid for itself.

trek2008  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2002, 05:18 PM

OK thanks. I am not moving, just going to my grandparents in Virginia for about a week and I am taking my computer with me. It is one of the new imacs, and transports easly.
I have an MacBook, 15" monitor, 1 GIG ram, 120 gig internal hard drive, 500 gig external hard drive, and an iMac with 40 gig internal hard drive with iSight web cam. Using Mac OS 10.5 Leopard

The Dude
Banned
Jul 5, 2002, 12:15 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by seanyepez:
<strong>Obviously, you'll need to have cable Internet "installed" at the location you're going to stay at. You can't bring the modem with you to connect to a hotel's coaxial cable. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Thank you Miss Obvious.

Forum Links
Forum Rules