Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Removing Classic

Removing Classic
richmacfan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2002, 05:46 PM

Does anyone know how to safely and permanently uninstall Classic OS for OSX. I do not use it and would like the hard drive space back.

mrtew
Professional Poster
May 25, 2002, 05:48 PM

Throw the system folder in the trash.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

clash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2002, 06:25 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by John Tewksbury:
<strong>Throw the system folder in the trash.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">That's what I did, haven't looked back since.

richmacfan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2002, 07:22 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by John Tewksbury:
<strong>Throw the system folder in the trash.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Thanks. I had already tried that and I can't trash the system folder, I get a message that system folder is "required" by the system. I am n ot running classic when I try and do this. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Carnage Visors
May 26, 2002, 08:23 PM

you could do it via the shell, ie sudo rm -rf /system
I don't run classic on either of my os x machines, so off the top of my head so double check the folder name, don't want you to delete the os x system folder.

Benjamin
I saw two shooting stars last night,
I wished on them, but they were only satilites,
its wrong to wish on space hardware,
I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care.

Billy Bragg -- New England.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
May 26, 2002, 08:52 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Carnage Visors:
<strong>you could do it via the shell, ie sudo rm -rf /system </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">HELL NO!!! DO NOT TYPE THAT!!! that will wipe out your X System folder! you might need that!

i'd rather someone backed me up on this, so you can't blame me, but i believe you'd have to type: sudo rm -rf /System\ Folder/*
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

[email protected]
Senior User
May 26, 2002, 09:01 PM

ya, don't use 'rm,' use the classic preference pane to deselect the folder as the classic folder. the fonts in that folder are being used by os x as long as it is the blessed os 9 folder. type 'man bless' in the terminal for info.

the key is - os x is using your os 9 fonts. unbless!

clash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2002, 10:04 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by richmacfan:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by John Tewksbury:
<strong>Throw the system folder in the trash.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Thanks. I had already tried that and I can't trash the system folder, I get a message that system folder is "required" by the system. I am n ot running classic when I try and do this. Any suggestions?
Thanks</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I did it when I booted from my Norton CD, before I optimized my HD.

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
May 27, 2002, 02:26 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by philzilla:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Carnage Visors:
<strong>you could do it via the shell, ie sudo rm -rf /system </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">HELL NO!!! DO NOT TYPE THAT!!! that will wipe out your X System folder! you might need that!

i'd rather someone backed me up on this, so you can't blame me, but i believe you'd have to type: sudo rm -rf /System\ Folder/*</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">indeed... i read it this morning when I got up, and i'm, fully awake now

Please do not get rid of your OS X System! eek
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

[email protected]
Senior User
Jul 19, 2002, 08:06 PM

ya, hopefully you did not rm -rf /system that would have sucked.

unbless the folder and the fonts come free, yes?

pliny
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2002, 10:21 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by richmacfan:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by John Tewksbury:
Thanks</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">change the permissions on it that should work.
i look in your general direction

Forum Links
Forum Rules