Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Scratched TiBook monitor

Scratched TiBook monitor
MacNewbie20
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2002, 05:09 PM

I bought at PowerBook G4 (newest 667MHz model) a couple weeks ago. I've just started noticing several small, vertical scratches on the monitor. They've started becoming noticeable when I use the computer, and I'm not sure if the computer came like that or not. I've been very careful with the thing, and have only cleaned the monitor once, so I don't think it was me...

The monitor is still usable despite this, but I just paid $4000 (Canadian) for this computer, so I'd like to get this resolved.

Would AppleCare cover this? Is my problem unique, or have other people encountered this?

Thanks...

rimsky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2002, 05:24 PM

I have the same problem. I've always been very careful with my computer, but the scratched are there nevertheless.

They appear to be marks from the keyboard -- somehow the sides of the keys push too hard on the monitor when the lid is closed.

My guess is that this is from stacking the boxes in the shop. All the weight on the lid will push it deeper into the keys.

Don't know if AppleCare covers this -- better to ask them (and let me know).

MacNewbie20  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2002, 05:41 PM

Hmm. I think that might be it. The scratches are about the right size to have been made by the keyboard, and I don't see how else they would have gotten there.

Hopefully this is covered by AppleCare.. I'm a student, and really can't afford to replace the screen right now. What's involved in replacing the monitor? Would I have to send it to Apple, or could the Apple retailer I bought it from do it? And, if it's not covered by AppleCare, what kind of costs am I looking at?

Are there any accessories I could buy that would prevent the keyboard from leaving marks on the screen?

Disappointing... The computer is only 2 weeks old, and I'm already having problems with it. *sigh*

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2002, 06:47 PM

Marks on the screen from the keyboard have been a long-standing problem with Powerbooks. AppleCare does NOT cover this.

Easiest solution is to place a piece of paper or cloth (there are some commercial products made just for this) between the keyboard and screen before closing.
I find that too inconvenient as I am opening and closing my PB many times during the day so I've learned to live with the marks. I don't even notice the marks during normal head-on viewing, just when viewed from off to one side.

Kiwimac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2002, 07:49 PM

I had the same problem with my Ti Book but solved it by clearning the screen with a "Mr Muscle" window cleaner and using a sheet of paper when shut. The marks are not scratches, they are "finger grease" marks where the "grease" has built up on the ridges of the keys. If you clean the screen using the cleaner they dissappear. Keep smiling.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 29, 2002, 12:31 AM

apple officially recommends klear screen for this problem.

Do not use an isopropyl alcohol product to clean the screen.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2002, 08:45 AM

I have the same problem with my new 667 DVI. There's a forum on the apple website detailing the problem:

<a href="http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.2cd886db" target="_blank">http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.2cd886db</a>

It seems to happen most when the powerbook is carried in a messenger bag or similar where the screen flexes & presses against the keyboard as you walk.

My solution was to laminate a piece of graph paper and place it over the keys before I go anywhere. The grid on the graph paper also helps my optical mouse on surfaces it doesn't like.

-mrwalker

MacNewbie20  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2002, 03:24 AM

Just a little update...

I went into my Apple retailer and talked to them about the problem. I bought some "Kensington Screen Guardian" and cleaned my monitor a few times. After about 3 washes, the marks are all but gone. There are a few left, but nothing noticeable when I use the computer.

Gotta say, I prefer the iBook's design, which seems to avoid problems like this... But I'm enjoying my PowerBook once again!

Thanks for the advice

satyagrahanism
Aug 9, 2002, 05:33 PM

now that you have them off, be sure to use a piece of paper to cover your keyboard when you close your comp. this protects the screen.

dee
TAKE A STAND FOR HUMAN AND ANIMAL RIGHTS! SPEAK OUT AND HELP THOSE WHO ARE IN GREAT NEED.

Forum Links
Forum Rules