Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Powepoint presentations

Powepoint presentations
jrome
Aug 18, 2002, 04:53 PM

Hey,

I'm making a Powerpoint presentation, and wanted to know if there's a way to embed fonts. I plan to make the presentation from my laptop, but I want to be able to use another computer as a backup. Right now, the only options seem to be save it as a PDF or .mov file.

Is there a way to embed fonts in a Powerpoint file? Thanks.
Sign the petition to add the Jacknote to Macworld Boston!

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2002, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by jrome:

Is there a way to embed fonts in a Powerpoint file? Thanks.
No. Your best bet is to use standard fonts that will work on both platforms (e.g., Arial and Times/Times New Roman), cross your fingers, and hope for the best.

You could also save your presentation as HTML, and each slide will be rendered as a JPEG, but you may as well make a PDF...

jrome  (op)
Aug 19, 2002, 11:18 PM

ok, one more question. I copied a bunch of Excel graphs into PowerPoint. But now, when i go to view the presentation on a Windows machine, some (but not all) of the pictures are missing. What gives?

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2002, 02:03 PM

ok, one more question. I copied a bunch of Excel graphs into PowerPoint. But now, when i go to view the presentation on a Windows machine, some (but not all) of the pictures are missing. What gives?
Whenever you insert another object into PowerPoint (or any other office app, for that matter) you can either embed the file or link to it. Most likely, you linked to the ones that are now missing on the Windows machine.

jrome  (op)
Aug 20, 2002, 09:35 PM

Well, that's what I thought too. But when I open the file on a different Mac, it works fine.

akebono
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2002, 09:53 PM

how were those graphs pasted? on the PC, are they white with a bar of black text across the middle? Are they graphs that do not have any data associated?

jrome  (op)
Aug 21, 2002, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by akebono:
how were those graphs pasted? on the PC, are they white with a bar of black text across the middle? Are they graphs that do not have any data associated?
They were pasted in as pictures. I either copied as picture from Excel and pasted, or did regular copy in Excel then a paste special (picture). The strange thing is that 1/2 of them work fine. Is only one of these methods likely to cause problems? Unfortunately, I don't have access to a PC and Mac at the same time.

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2002, 12:17 PM

They were pasted in as pictures. I either copied as picture from Excel and pasted, or did regular copy in Excel then a paste special (picture). The strange thing is that 1/2 of them work fine. Is only one of these methods likely to cause problems? Unfortunately, I don't have access to a PC and Mac at the same time.
I think if you just do a regular copy and paste, it will convert them to the standard MS image format (EMF on Macs, WMF on PCs). That's probably the best option.

jrome  (op)
Aug 21, 2002, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by Macola:

I think if you just do a regular copy and paste, it will convert them to the standard MS image format (EMF on Macs, WMF on PCs). That's probably the best option.
Thanks again for your advice. I brought my PowerBook into work, and it appears that if I do a regular copy, and a paste special (pciture), everything comes out OK on the PC.

Thanks a lot for your help. It's been a lifesaver.

jrome  (op)
Aug 21, 2002, 01:42 PM

Everything works now on PC and Mac!
( Last edited by jrome; Aug 21, 2002 at 01:47 PM. )

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2002, 01:42 PM

With regards to embedding fonts.

Will it help if you save your PowerPoint presentation as a QuickTime movie?

File -> Make movie

Forum Links
Forum Rules