Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Has apple ever or will they ever release a mouse with a right clicker?

Has apple ever or will they ever release a mouse with a right clicker?
howdyadam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2002, 10:04 PM

I want one of those slick apple pro mouses but rick-clicking is a great part of osx (i dont think right clicking works in os9 but i could be wrong) and id like to take advantage of the right click "feature"

any news eh?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2002, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by howdyadam:
I want one of those slick apple pro mouses but rick-clicking is a great part of osx (i dont think right clicking works in os9 but i could be wrong) and id like to take advantage of the right click "feature"

any news eh?
It's been one of those "long aged rumors"....however, I think it will happen before or early 2003. Nobody knows, but it makes sense because Apple has built in to the OS "right click" technology. I sure hope it's soon!

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2002, 01:49 PM

any news eh?
Why not just get one of the many third-party mice, with more buttons and scrolling, to boot? Many of them are more ergonomic than the Pro Mouse, especially if you consider trackballs.

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2002, 08:26 PM

Even though I love the way it looks...I never even plugged up my Apple Pro Mouse...It's still in the box.

I love my Logitech Optical but I do have my eye on that new Kensington Studio Mouse...It looks super!

-Q-
Aug 21, 2002, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by iKevin:
Even though I love the way it looks...I never even plugged up my Apple Pro Mouse...It's still in the box.

I love my Logitech Optical but I do have my eye on that new Kensington Studio Mouse...It looks super!
Overall, it is. The "scroll track" takes some getting used to and the white band around the edge picks up dirt rather quickly. But the tracking is great and the buttons have a very "solid" click (which I like in my mice). And the cord is SO much longer than the crappy Apple mouse. I can use it comfortably with my iBook without worrying about running out of cord.

b00tang
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2002, 07:21 PM

I've got the kensignton pro something or other mouse... its the one with 5 buttons and a blue light in the scroll wheel... it was only 25 bucks and I love it... but apples all about innovation right? So why would they release a 2 button mouse? Why not 6? I mean people with 6 buttons mice seem to never want to go back (i sure don't) so why wouldn't apple offer either a 1 button for all the losers, or a 6 button for all those people who really want an easy to use system... boo to 2 button
ipod why have you forsaken me?!?!?!

passmaster16
Senior User
Aug 21, 2002, 08:00 PM

any news eh?
I think it is more or less they don't want to fall to the Windoze way of doing things. But I do think the right click is very useful and they realized this and incorporated it in to OS X. I'm sure in time they will give in to a multiple button mouse.

Footy
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2002, 09:31 PM

When Apple does come out with a two button mouse I'm sure it'll be a big deal and all my windows buddies will be like "hay I see your Mac can finally use a 2 button mouse". Here's hoping Apple keeps it very low key!

I actually like my one button, it does what I need it to. I'm sure I could get used to a 2 button fast enough but when I use a PC that extra botton just seems so awkward.

Footy
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2002, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by iKevin:

Want to sell it?!

b00tang
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2002, 12:03 AM

"When Apple does come out with a two button mouse I'm sure it'll be a big deal and all my windows buddies will be like "hay I see your Mac can finally use a 2 button mouse". "

This is exactly why I say Apple should implement a 6 button mouse that is just completely awesome. I love mine, and if Apple offers a 6 button mouse its not "apple finally has more than 1 button" its "Apple kicks pc ass once again!" ::cheers::
and for the love of crap can someone tell me how to use the quote feature on here this is just getting embaressing for me

Owlicks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2002, 01:25 AM

Okay, I can't believe no one has said this already... but yes, the "right click" function has been in classic for a long time... you just always had to hold control and click, same as in OS X. I believe they were called "contextual menus"

b00tang
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2002, 02:25 PM

Owlicks I think thats the heart of the frustration and confusing... why does apple already implement the right click (just plugging in my new mouse let me use an effective right click) but still cling to a single button mouse?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2002, 03:01 PM

Shake software from Apple needs a three buttons mouse I think, so...

but Apple must go with someone really innovative, no only more buttons on the mouse, think about that pc ugly mouses, even with calculator XD

Forum Links
Forum Rules