Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My new 14" ibook's battery/charger so-so...

My new 14" ibook's battery/charger so-so...
worldwearyeyes
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2005, 10:31 AM

Think the following warrants a visit to the Apple store this weekend?

Since I got it about a week ago, I've noticed the battery definitely does NOT have a 6 hour life. I "conditioned" it, and I've really only spent time loading and installing software, as well as surfing the net. I get maybe 3 hours or so...

Also, this morning I opened it up and it was only at 78% even though it had been plugged in all night! I also noticed that the indicator light at the end of the charger switched back and forth from orange to green every minute or so.

Any idea what the problem is??? I'll probably take it to the genius bar tomorrow, but what should I expect?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 19, 2005, 11:37 AM

I think you either have a faulty battery, a faulty power supply/charger, or both. I would certainly trot that down to the Apple Store if it were mine...

Our iBook (which I'm using right now) shows 98% charged, though it's plugged in. This is typical; it usually doesn't show 100% unless we've used it unplugged and drained the battery for a while, and then charged it up again with the computer off. However, the charge status light should be pretty consistent-either green or orange. For some reason your computer is telling you that the battery isn't charging properly, so either the battery or the charger are not doint their things correctly.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

worldwearyeyes  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2005, 12:09 PM

It has been fully charged (99%), and this morning after I opened it up and realized the problem it eventually got up to 86% before I had to leave for work. I was so excited to have a 5-6 hour battery...have y'all been getting that out of your new ibook? Considering I haven't even run major programs like PS or dreamweaver, I'm highly dissappointed in the current battery life.

volcano
Senior User
Aug 19, 2005, 03:16 PM

I "calibrated" my new iBook's battery yesterday - I charged it fully (99%), then let the battery drain until sleep mode was activated. I got at least 6 hours life with that first charge - I played around with it that afternoon for about 2 hours, came home later on that evening and for nearly 4 hours I surfed the internet, deleted/organized a bunch of e-mail in Mail, transferred files over my LAN from my iMac to my iBook, and even had some extra time left over to watch some music videos from my Smashing Pumpkins DVD. I was impressed, to say the least.

worldwearyeyes  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2005, 04:27 PM

thanks for rubbing that in my face, volcano!

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 19, 2005, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by worldwearyeyes
thanks for rubbing that in my face, volcano!
I think he's trying to say that your situation isn't typical and that your battery and charger should do better for you. Yes, go to the Apple Store with these things and show them what's going on.

worldwearyeyes  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2005, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I think he's trying to say that your situation isn't typical and that your battery and charger should do better for you. Yes, go to the Apple Store with these things and show them what's going on.
yeah, i know...just giving him a hard time for having the perfect battery. I just got back from the apple store. they looked at it, replaced the charger and reset the power management system. they said if if doesn't get a good charge tonight to bring it back tomorrow and they'll swap it for a new ibook. we shall see...

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 20, 2005, 10:08 AM

At least they took you seriously. I know it's a hassle to cart your computer around for service, but that warranty is part of the purchase price, so using it is using money you've already spent. And Apple should be collecting data on failed and defective parts like chargers so that they can make things better in the future. That means you've helped thouse who come after you.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 20, 2005, 10:19 AM

Do this:

Go to the "apple" in the upper left hand corner and tick, "about this computer", then select "more info"

Highlight your "Serial Number" and then Command + C / or Apple + C to copy this.

Direct your browser to http://www.apple.com/support
Scroll down, and on the right hand side you will see a window / text input space for your "Serial Number"

Then press "go".

You'll be told when you bought the computer, and how many days are left on the Warranty.
Good info.

Now then, just go to:

http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/

See if there is anything there to help you self-diagnose / solve your issues.
If not, then call Applecare, or go to an Apple Store.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2005, 12:18 PM

Do this:

Go to the "apple" in the upper left hand corner and tick, "about this computer", then select "more info"

Highlight your "Serial Number" and then Command + C / or Apple + C to copy this.

Scroll down, and on the right hand side you will see a window / text input space for your "Serial Number"

Then press "go".

You'll be told when you bought the computer, and how many days are left on the Warranty.
Good info.
He he he.

I just did that, and it says my Ibook was bought in February '05 whereas I actually bought it at the end December '04

worldwearyeyes  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2005, 01:41 PM

back at the apple store as we speak...still didn't charge right last night...we'll see what happens...

worldwearyeyes  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2005, 06:11 PM

Finally...
Went to the Apple store again today. They sent me home yesterday w/o a new one because they didn't have any "new" refurbs in stock I guess. Well I call back today to speak w/ the manager and he swaps mine for a NEW *non-refurb* one! Even reset my warranty to today (aug 21). So all is well.

Feeler - Still lusting after a 12 or 15 pb. Willing to work out a trade for the above ibook if anyone has a 12 or 15 pb under warranty they'd be interested in trading with. This ibook does have the 1.42ghz proc, 512 ram, superdrive...etc. PM me.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 21, 2005, 08:10 PM

How sweet.

mad_nasty_nizzle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2005, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
Do this:

Then press "go".

Good info.
Too bad it doesn't work for older iBooks. My Dual USB 800 won't show up . I never remember whether it was the Christmas of 2001 I got it or later/earlier.
2002 12" iBook Dual USB 800MHz/30GB/640MB/Combo/AirPort
2003 3rd Gen iPod 10GB in BAD condition i need one of those spiffy new 20GB color screen ones :(
2004 iMac 1.25GHz/80GB/1GB RAM/SuperDrive/AirPort Extreme

Forum Links
Forum Rules