Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How To Remove Logitech Control From Sys Pref

How To Remove Logitech Control From Sys Pref
Geoff
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2007, 01:23 PM

Hi

A question that is no doubt simple to answer for those that know

How do you remove an item from your System Preferences? Specifically I added the Logitech Control Center and then found that it tends to cause unusual problems. On one machine the Apple + C command did not work and was 'fixed' by updating Boot Camp!

The problem still exists on the MBP that does not use Boot Camp but also has the Logitech thing installed.

Thanks for all help and insight.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Nov 18, 2007, 02:33 PM

If you have Leopard:
Right-click (or CTRL-click a one-button mouse) and select "Remove Preference Pane."

I followed that up with searching for any leftover plist files and deleting them as well, then rebooting.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2007, 02:40 PM

Make sure to check Library/Frameworks both at the root of your drive and in your home folder, and get rid of Application Enhancer.framework if you find it. Application Enhancer (APE for short) is a framework for hacking other applications which is renowned for causing unusual problems, so it should be your first suspect if unusual problems are what you are noticing.

You know, Logitech makes really excellent hardware - it's a shame their software has to be so dodgy.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2007, 02:53 PM

You might have noticed that Charles has some kind of one-man crusade going against Application Enhancer to the point where he personally attacks its creators. In this case, though, I think that's more what you want, since Application Enhancer is where the actual functionality comes in.

By the way, I find that bundled software like this tends to suck both on Mac and Windows. If you can get away with not installing it, it's a good idea.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2007, 02:55 PM

The Logitech software disk (or image) usually comes with an uninstaller.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Also bear in mind that Charles has some kind of one-man crusade going against Application Enhancer to the point where he personally attacks its creators. To be realistic: Uninstalling it won't hurt, but it also won't solve any problems that you aren't having.
Charles isn't the only one! There are LOTS of other folks who have found it to cause problems too. So much so that Apple concluded & subsequently warned users publicly that it was a LARGE part of the initial problems that showed up when people first installed 10.5.

Whether or not it has anything to do with the OP's issues remains to be seen
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2007, 03:07 PM

You might have noticed that Charles has some kind of one-man crusade going against Application Enhancer to the point where he personally attacks its creators. In this case, though, I think that's more what you want, since Application Enhancer is where the actual functionality comes in.
That's the way. If you can't argue against what someone says, just attack the messenger. Good job.

I noticed you were conspicuously absent in this thread.

And yeah, it's hardly a "one-man crusade" when Apple itself takes pretty much the same position I do. I'd go so far as to say that you come off sounding much more like a "one-man crusade" in your tireless defense of Unsanity, especially since my post was relevant to this thread - the OP is complaining about strange problems caused by installing Logitech's software, which is most likely related to APE - and yours is not.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Nov 18, 2007 at 04:09 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

rmiller
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2007, 03:40 PM

I agree with CharlesS, APE sucks. To answer Geoff the uninstaller for LC 231 has been moved . The path is: /Library/Application Support/Logitech/LCC uninstaller.
( Last edited by rmiller; Nov 18, 2007 at 03:46 PM. )
Alum 24" Imac 2.8 ghz

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2007, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
I noticed you were conspicuously absent in this thread.
Is it really that conspicuous? There are thousands of threads on this site I've never read.

And yeah, it's hardly a "one-man crusade" when Apple itself takes pretty much the same position I do.
Apple has not publicly insulted anybody, as far as I can recall. If they had initiated a smear campaign against one of their third-party developers, I would have much less respect for them.

I'd go so far as to say that you come off sounding much more like a "one-man crusade" in your tireless defense of Unsanity, especially since my post was relevant to this thread - the OP is complaining about strange problems caused by installing Logitech's software, which is most likely related to APE - and yours is not.
Mine was agreeing with yours.
Chuck
___

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2007, 04:53 PM

Is it really that conspicuous? There are thousands of threads on this site I've never read.
It's a perfect example of the kind of problems that APE causes.

Apple has not publicly insulted anybody, as far as I can recall. If they had initiated a smear campaign against one of their third-party developers, I would have much less respect for them.
Oh please. Smear campaign?

Mine was agreeing with yours.
Doesn't look that way to me. In fact, it seems that the only reason you posted in this thread was to attack me for saying that APE could be the cause of someone's problems.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2007, 11:33 PM

Usually there's an uninstaller like many have suggested using. You can also uninstall Preference panes by right clicking them and choosing "Remove **** Preference Pane". It works in 10.4 and 10.5. Don't know about 10.0-10.3 though.

CharlesS and Chuckit... we get it, one hates APE, the other hates those who hate APE, the feud is old and doesn't need to keep cropping up in unrelated threads.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

Geoff  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2007, 06:14 PM

Thank you all SO much. A most educational thread and lotsa great info.

Getting between all the different 'pov's' then I suspect I should remove the APE and I should use the uninstaller for Logitech in its new location indicated by RMiller.

Now to add a spin, this all would not have come up if my Mighty Mouse scroll ball is as reliable as the weather and I would not have had to haul out an old Logitech mouse

Thanks again to you all

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2007, 07:24 PM

I find that Logitech's mice are excellent hardware-wise, and work great without the software installed. Since Exposé gives you plenty of things to do with the extra buttons, the software isn't needed IMO.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2007, 09:54 PM

Yeah, I swear by Logitech mice, but I've never ever installed their software.
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules