Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > The Disappearing HP Officejet Pro 8500 Printer and AE

The Disappearing HP Officejet Pro 8500 Printer and AE
Geoff
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2011, 11:28 PM

Hi

This one is very baffling. I use an AExtreme Base station and network two Macs to an HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer. The other day I was in Boot Camp mode on the tower and set up the ptinter there to do some printing. That worked fine

When I went back to Mac mode, the printer was shown as there but Offline. Same result from both Macs. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the printer recognized again

It briefly printed and then just disappeared again. I have tried removing devices and then adding them but with the printer not recognized on the network it is sorta hard to add it

Pulling my hair out Hope someone can help

Thanks so much

Geoff

ibook_steve
Jan 14, 2011, 02:44 PM

Is this a wifi printer or are you saying it's plugged into USB on the AE? If it's USB, check the Airport Utility printer settings to make sure it's being seen by the base station.

Another thing I've seen is that for some reason, the printer gets "paused". Open up the printer queue and make sure it's not paused.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Geoff  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2011, 04:52 PM

ThNk you Steve.

The printer is not WIFI and is connected to the Extreme via LAN cable.

I was able to get access by a direct connect USB from printer to tower no problem. While I was in that mode the HP Utility would recognize the Network printer but when unplugging the USB it disappeared again

I did finally change the printer selected on the list - it gives several versions of the same printer - one with a (7078***) number after it and a FaX version (not used) and finally one of them actually worked as planned on the network. Still don't know for sure what I did but I hope it continues to work after I power down overnight and reboot tomorrow :-)

Thanks for your interest Steve, Much appreciated

Geoff

Forum Links
Forum Rules